Rubber Fuel Line

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Rubber Fuel Line

Post by RustyFords » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:55 pm

I have a feeling I might get scolded for this...but here goes anyway....

I'm looking at the metal fuel line that goes from my new gas tank to my new (rebuilt) carb and I'm thinking that it might be prudent to cut a short section out of that fuel line somewhat near the tank, flare the ends and place a section of rubber fuel line there.

Yes, I know that's not the way Henry did it...understood. But in every old car I've ever had, there's been a section of rubber line that serves to isolate some of the engine movement and vibration from the gas tank and that might be a good thing for a Model T as well. I'm not building a restored show car so that factor isn't a concern for me.

What got me thinking about this, in part, is that both of the vintage Model T tanks in my possession, have obvious repairs at the outlet bung...repairs almost certainly to fix cracks caused by years of movement and vibration in the all metal fuel line. It seems like the T would be even more susceptible to this than other old cars due to the big bulbous weight (sediment bulb) hanging down below the tank.
1924 Touring

Chad_Marcheese
First Name: Chad
Last Name: Marcheese
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Cut Off Touring / Pickup, 1923 Doodlebug / 1924 Speedster Gow Job
MTFCA Number: 26904
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Rubber Fuel Line

Post by Chad_Marcheese » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:27 pm

Don,

If you don't tell anyone, I'll tell you that mine has some rubber inline for the reasons you describe. My line is also not bent the same as Henry's either.

My advice though is to use Gates "Barricade" hose to ward off what this lousy ethanol gas does to regular fuel line. I get mine at Napa, part# H311 for 1/4", Part# H312 for 5/16".

Topic author
RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:33 pm

Mum's the word Chad....just between you and me. ;)
1924 Touring

tinman080
First Name: gary
Last Name: hammond
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 roadster
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by tinman080 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:43 pm

As a young man I repaired many, many wrecked Fords in the early to mid 70's. They all had the last 3 inches of fuel line that was rubber clamped on each end. There were thousands and thousands of burned Fords nation wide because of these hoses. Almost every owner, even if they babied their cars, would be unaware of the hose's deterioration. You could walk thru parking lots and smell gasoline fumes coming from Fords with these hoses leaking. I don't recommend using rubber hose at all . My 2 cents worth. :D
''Just Passin' Thru.....Slowly! :D

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:24 pm

Beginning with Plymouth's "Floating Power" in 1929 (I think) automobile engines were no longer bolted rigid within the frame. Through the 1930s practically all makers followed suit. This made a flexible connection to the fuel supply a necessity, hence the ubiquity of the hose application you have observed.

Not so the Model T, where gas tank and engine are both firmly attached to the frame (we hope !) and the successful application of a rigid fuel line. This is not to say that the noticeable (and beloved) vibrations of an operating Model T cannot lead to fuel line failures. Oddly enough, as no tubing flares were used in the original design, the felt packing at either end of the fuel line works very well to maintain fuel line integrity. Counter-intuitively, flared connections and compression fittings do not fare well under the incessant fidgeting of a running T. It would seem this is yet another case where the original design is simplest and yet delivers an adequate result. This is not to say that the original system is "best" - but it's likely any combination of hoses, tubing, fittings, filters etc. , etc. will work fine for a while, then fail at some point, so do what pleases you. It's your car to enjoy. We often tend to fix our Ts so "good" they cause us problems.
Last edited by Rich Bingham on Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get a horse !"

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:27 pm

It sounds like a good idea. I have never tried it or found the need but encourage others to do what seems right for them. Henry might have tried it if they had better hoses back in the day.
Rich
When did I do that?

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:35 pm

Depending on the route the fuel line travels, it can get close to both the starter switch and the exhaust pipe. For that reason I would only use a flexible joint at the tank end, and I would keep it as short as possible so it cannot move much. There is no need for the pipe to be flared if those spring type flat clamps are used.
That said, all of my cars have the standard hard line with neoprene rubber packing at the pack nuts.

Allan from down under.

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:38 pm

I have done this on my Speedster. With the tank that far back I figure it is good insurance to have a little extra flex in the line. However, I also make sure I check it before the start of every season, or I just replace it with a fresh hose. It is only 3-4 inches long, so almost no cost involved.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:37 pm

Rich B

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I have seen 3 cracked lines. All 3 were cracked at the cheap bead ferrul that someone glommed into a non-compression, original fitting. With no designed limit feature on that hybrid fitting, multiple tightenings caused the ferrule to compress to the point of cracking and in one case, shearing the line off.

I don't know why anyone would go to school to be an engineer when it is so easy to be one with just a small investment in wrenches, and access to the internet.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:34 am

Good advice Scott!!

I have been using various methods for years on speedsters and the likes there of. The key is “quality” materials! A USCG approved flexible fuel line or a green stripe fuel injected rated line will satisfy the requirements with “quality” clamps. I have not had any leaks or failures.

Just my experiences,

Hank

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:56 am

I admit it, I put a 4" hose at the carb when I installed the Stromberg. It had no fitting and I found a hose style fitting in my stock, so... :)

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:06 am

I am running the modern rubber type fuel line all the way from my tank to carb. Two weeks ago my electric fuel pump gave out. I did not have time to source a 6 volt pump so I mounted my tank in the bed of the huckster. With the Chevrolet over head the carb is on the drivers side so the line runs along the drivers side (US). I could have put the tank lower then how I mounted it but wanted to be able to drain if needed.
Attachments
DSCF7095.JPG
DSCF7091.JPG
DSCF7090.JPG
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:10 am

Do what you wish. A Model T doesn't need a rubber line anywhere. I have over 55,000 miles on my '13 touring, not that that makes any difference, and it still has the same gas line that I put on it in 1962.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic