Adjusting Bands

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Adjusting Bands

Post by Oldav8tor » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:51 am

I'm in the home stretch. If everything goes OK, I'll have all the parts necessary to drive my T installed by the end of today. I believe that when the engine rebuilder finished with my engine he left the bands all loose so I need to adjust them. I've never done this so I'm looking for advice. I've read what I could find online and talked to a couple of T guys but it appears there are different opinions on how it should be done. Being new, I don't know if I can recognize whether the bands are properly adjusted or not. I don't want to damage my drums or bands so any little tricks or hints will be appreciated.

I know this topic has been covered many times before and apologize up front for asking you to cover old territory.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Re: Adjusting Bands

Post by CudaMan » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:03 am

My opinion:

Adjust the low and brake bands so that the those bands are firmly engaged with the pedal 1 to 1.5 inches above the floorboards.

Adjust the reverse band so that the band is firmly engaged with the reverse pedal level or just above the (released) low and brake pedals. That way your foot has less chance of getting tangled up between pedals when you use reverse.

I highly recommend the reverse pedal extension that the vendors sell, it raises up the reverse pedal surface even higher. :)
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:22 am

Gotta tell ya Mark...that is a mighty tight reverse band you're describing. Reverse drums can't take much heat/abuse at all, and you're describing a band that is barely released when driving :shock:

I run "that which shall not be named" and keep all bands as slack (and round) as I can. FWIW.

I don't have an extension on reverse but have always believed that they are good advice (and if you have one and band is adjusted as you say, I think you're fine)...just not crazy about the band that tight with normal pedal...
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

25 roadster john
First Name: John
Last Name: Pawlowski
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 49635

Post by 25 roadster john » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:29 am

I always read when adjusting bands that the adjustment is 1 to 1.5 inches from pedal to floor board.
My question is where on the pedal do you start the measurement? :(

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:56 am

Measure from the pedal, not the lever, to the floorboard. Note that the shaft should be moving outward from the hogs head on the brake and reverse pedals. If you find the pedal moves more than an inch before it begins to move the shaft inward, you need to replace the cam. With the low pedal, the shaft will move inward when you depress the pedal. Right after you reach the neutral position the shaft should begin to move inward.

After you get all the adjustments made, you should put the car in neutral on a level surface. You should be able to push the car without turning the engine. Likewise you should be able to crank the engine without the car rolling forward or backward.
It is not good to have the bands either too loose, nor too tight. If too tight they will drag all the time the engine is running, and if too loose, they will slip when you are in low or reverse, or the brake will not stop the car.
Norm

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:28 pm

Maybe I've just been lucky, I've had my reverse pedal up that high since 2013 - you can adjust the reverse band looser than I did mine, just make sure it engages firmly before the pedal runs out of travel.
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:36 pm

As usual, the correct answer is, "It depends."
"Get a horse !"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic