Windshield Hardware

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
ArthurB
First Name: Arthur
Last Name: Babitz
Board Member Since: 2018

Windshield Hardware

Post by ArthurB » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:15 pm

1927 Roadster, I'm replacing a chopped plastic windshield with a real glass two part one. I have reproduction stanchions and frames. I had safety glass cut to size, bedded it with bedding compound. So far, so good. I just want to be sure I'm using "best practices" with the hardware which allows/ prevents the windshield segments to pivot.

Parts I have:

special 3/8" studs with wrenching platform (tapped and screwed into the frame inserts).
Chrome cones
tappered thin nuts
chrome wingnuts
assorted washers, lockwashers.

I couldn't figure out where to use the thin tapered nuts. I slipped the chrome cones over the studs. They fit nicely against the frame. I slipped the studs through the stanchions. The chrome cones fit nicely into the cups on the inside of the stanchions. I then used a washer/ lockwasher/ wingnut on the extension of the stud sticking through the stanchion.

It doesn't do a great job of keeping the top glass from pivoting. It sort of works, but doesn't fill me with confidence it won't unscrew while I'm driving. I've got all sorts of steel, neoprene and nylon washers and toothed lockwashers, but before I try every possible combination I thought I'd ask. The drawings I've found don't include the thin nut, and the thin nut seems to conflict with the chrome cone every way I tried it. Any wisdom to share?

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Re: Windshield Hardware

Post by RajoRacer » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:37 pm

I believe the thin tapered nut threads onto the stud first then the cone.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic