Model T presentation

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
modeltmick
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Seibert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 23 tour
MTFCA Number: 28613

Model T presentation

Post by modeltmick » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:31 pm

I was recently asked by a local retired men's club to give a talk about the Model T . As I have never spoken in front of an audience before I was more than a little hesitant. After thinking about it for awhile I decided to give it a try. I contacted The MTFCA and spoke to Susan Yaeger who could not have been more helpful. She provided me with several copies of The Vintage Ford as well as a wealth of useful information. This in hand and with the help of my lovely wife Anita-Jean I was able to write an outline for my presentation. On the big day I arrived in my 1923 Touring Car and based on the audience response to seeing a Model T up close, and the amount of questions asked I think my talk was a success. I hope that I am asked to do this again as it was a great fun and wonderful experience. I would again like thank Susan Yaeger and The MTFCA. Without their help I would not have had the confidence to attempt it.

Michael Seibert

HalSched
First Name: Hal
Last Name: Schedler
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 23 RA, 25 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 16688
MTFCI Number: 19356
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Model T presentation

Post by HalSched » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:55 pm

She's a jewel!!! She'll go "above and beyond" to help.

DLodge
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Lodge
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 19659
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by DLodge » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:18 pm

modeltmick wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:31 pm
... As I have never spoken in front of an audience before I was more than a little hesitant. ...
Michael, I read somewhere once that the most common phobia people have is speaking in front of a group of people. I don't know why, but that has never been a problem for me. I enjoy sharing information with people, especially about subjects that I am enthusiastic about. Welcome to the fraternity of public speakers! :D

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:59 am

Hear, hear Dick! Thank you for that. Marty is another comfortable.
Michael, just put your heart on your sleeve and babble. Oh wait. You did that already. It takes guts and you crossed that hurdle already.
I finally retired from announcing the go kart races last year but yet I have to work at the boat races Saturday
and then the go kart track Sunday.
Careful what you do with your voice. :lol: Everybody needs more of us, willing to dare to... lay one's heart on the sleeve. Thank you.
And for the model T with your presentation? Thank you. Thank you. :)
Susan is beyond what a nice person is in my book.
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:39 am

Next: high school history classes.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Mark Osterman
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Osterman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 runabout

Post by Mark Osterman » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:45 am

Steve, as part of my job for the George Eastman Museum I’m called upon to present illustrated lectures on a regular basis. Some of these have taken me to places like Japan, Taiwan, Germany, France, Mexico, Portugal and Russia. Imagine traveling to Russia to give a 30 minute presentation.

Finding your comfort level is all about knowing your subject. Some people who present read a prepared paper but those are the least enjoyable for the audience. My suggestion is to talk about what you could easily discuss with a few friends. Come up with a good introduction and ending and the rest will happen organically. If you are able, put together a short powerpoint to illustrate your talk.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic