Brake shoes on a 19 T-Cruiser

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
gjrabb
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Rabb
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Touring

Brake shoes on a 19 T-Cruiser

Post by gjrabb » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:48 pm

My T is having problems stopping and staying stopped when starting it with the brake on. I pulled the drums off, and the pads are soaked with grease, and there is grease everywhere. Is this normal? On modern cars there is an oil seal, but I don't see anything. Please let me know if I am missing something, pictures attached. Also, do I replace the pads, or should they work with oil on them, todays would need replaced. Thanks for helping with a stupid question. R/Jim
IMG-0285.JPG
IMG-0284.JPG
IMG-0286.JPG

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Re: Brake shoes on a 19 T-Cruiser

Post by Dallas Landers » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:08 pm

Gear lube in rear axle over full? To agressive with grease cups? My 26 runabout pickup was like that. I could get no speed and had to use low peddle on a slight hill. I soaked and scrubbed in gas and washed with Dawn dish soap and scrubbed some more. I am still using them after a rear axle rebuild and new seals.

JP_noonan
First Name: John
Last Name: Noonan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Runabout

Post by JP_noonan » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:11 pm

If it were mine i would definitely replace the shoes, they're not that expensive. As far as it being normal, for a Model T, the answer is yes if the seals let go and its not serviced on a regular basis. There is a new neoprene oil seal the vendors sell that is very good at preventing oil migrating from the Diff into the bearings. And an outer seal is also used to seal in the bearing grease. Hope this helps.
Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:16 pm

Show us a photo of your backing plate. There should an outside seal. Do you know if it has inner seals behind the outer roller bearing? have you checked the lube level in the center section? If you have all the seals in place and lube level is were it should be, you may be putting too much grease into the outer bearings. Maybe post a photo of your center section showing the filler hole. The filler holes was in two different places and how full it should be depends on which type you have. (well the lube level will be the same, but checking is different)
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

JP_noonan
First Name: John
Last Name: Noonan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Runabout

Post by JP_noonan » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:40 pm

Dallas and Mark make great points about over filling the diff. I made a gauge out of some welding rod that i measured and bent to be just slightly lower than the bottom of the axle tube. Others may measure differently, but it works for me.
Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Beaver1054
First Name: Hector
Last Name: ESTEVES
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring and 1926 speedster
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by Beaver1054 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:26 am

Have the same problem. Oil and grease coming out of the wheel drum. but this is what I found. Seal failure. Rear driver side only. Just got the car so I don't know what caused it, bearings OK, sleeve OK. Seams like the axle shaft may have to much play. The metal part of the seal has been wallowed out.
Sorry to but in.
Attachments
IMG_2896.JPG
IMG_2843.JPG

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:45 am

Quick shout to Steve

the metal part is not wallowed out, but it has come delaminated from the seal
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Stephen_heatherly
First Name: Stephen
Last Name: Heatherly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 coupe and 23 Runabout

Post by Stephen_heatherly » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:01 am

You have a 26/27 large drum rear axle in your car. As long as the lining is not worn out, you can easily clean the shoes with brake cleaner and reuse the old lining. They make inner seals that you install inside the axle housings beind the out roller bearing sleeve. When you install the new seals, make sure to thoughly clean the inside of the housing with brake or carb cleaner and install the seals after applying a bead of permatex gasket maker in the green tube which is formulated for use with gear oil. The other stuff won't work. The origional style felts are more than adequate for the outer seals. While you have it all apart you may want to thoughly inspect the bearings and sleeves to make sure they're in good shape. If the rear axle has not been rebuilt or you're not sure if it has been, it would be wise to look into that at some point.

Stephen

Topic author
gjrabb

Post by gjrabb » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:22 pm

Thanks all, here is what I found when looking.. There is no outer seal in the drum area, and the inner seal seems ok. I will dig in and see what is happening, looks like a rebuild of the axel is in store for me, :D Thanks all. R/Jim

Topic author
gjrabb

Post by gjrabb » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:55 pm

Also It has a Rucksell in it, if that makes any difference. R/Jim

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:58 pm

Jim

take a look at Steve's photo...
are you saying that there is no metal cover and felt seal with shield there? I find that very hard to believe, as this is what retains the bearing. Additionally, there should be a felt seal on the drum as well. 99% of the time, this seal is missing.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:05 pm

What is a cruiser? I've heard of roadsters, tourings, speedsters, and TT trucks, but never a cruiser!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic