Aftermarket carburators to 1920's Model T

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
dykker5502
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Deichmann
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1921 Roadster P/U, 1922 Fordor (danish custom body)
MTFCA Number: 29116
Board Member Since: 2007

Aftermarket carburators to 1920's Model T

Post by dykker5502 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:18 pm

Of my two model T's, the pick-up truck is the one to experiment with as it does not have much history before 1963, where it was build out of a frontend of a 1919 non-starter touring and a 1921 rolling chassis.
On both my T's I have Holley NH carburators and they are generally working OK. However, even though I believe it is generally accepted that the NH was the best carburator delivered by Ford, I'm sure there may have been aftermarket carburators that, if tuned right, outperforms the NH.
I'm considering if a Stromberg could be interesting, but what type would beperiod right for a Model T from 1920 +/-?
Ford Model T 1914 Touring
Ford Model T 1921 Roadster Pick-up
Ford Model T 1922 Fordor (danish build body)
ECCT, Strobospark, HCCT(Sold), Rebuilding coils

Mark Osterman
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Osterman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 runabout

Re: Aftermarket carburators to 1920's Model T

Post by Mark Osterman » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:08 pm

I love trying out different carburetors. I drive around 100 miles a week so it’s a good test for a daily driver. My ‘23 came with a Ford NH. Ran with that and it was good. Switched to a straight through NH that I rebuilt and that was an improvement.

Then I installed an OF rebuilt by Stan. It was good as long as the float didn’t stick. The needle assembly has two butterfly weights that slide across the top of the float and my float is slightly dented. So that can cause a problem. If I could find an NOS float it would be a great carburetor.

Lately I’ve been driving with a U&J carburetor also rebuilt by Stan. Had trouble with the high end. No adjustments helped. It wasn’t getting enough gas. When I first installed it I couldn't get my slightly warped exhaust manifold to seal right and that caused a problem with the intake as well. Fixed that but still couldn’t get enough gas so installed a steering column choke adjuster. Now it runs fine with the choke closed around halfway. I still think this should be able to be corrected with the needle adjustment on the carb but it has a very narrow tolerance only gives me way too much or too little.

dlmyers
First Name: Dale
Last Name: Myers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 24465
MTFCI Number: 19884
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by dlmyers » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:50 pm

The old forums are a gold mine of information.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:03 pm

NH being the best Ford carb, that is the OP of nobs that don't know any better :lol: ( I really don't care what the Tulsa test showed, I think they were bias anyway after reading the write up) There are any number of carb to play with, some more common then others. The set them and go type are my choice such as Schebler, Marvel, Stromberg (side drafts) etc. For up drafts there are a few; Zenith 04 and Strombergs such as OE-1, but require a different intake manifold. I would suggest staying away from the Stromberg M-1's, they are more for the truck, tractor type but will work, Any of witch should give an improvement over the NH.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic