RAJO Model B Rocker Arm Stand Help

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
henryford2
First Name: Joseph
Last Name: Andulics
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Fordor, 1926 Truck, 1927 Roadster GOW, RAJO Sprint car
MTFCA Number: 9766

RAJO Model B Rocker Arm Stand Help

Post by henryford2 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:56 pm

The inevitable happened, my repaired rocker arm stand cracked along the weld. The repair was original to the car when I bought it. I'm soliciting opinions and help. My options as I see them:
Leave it broke, where' s anything going to go? The bolt is hold down the cracked end I can't see the valve/pushrod action moving it? Not planning on "red lining" the engine.
Find a club member who may have an extra surplus to their needs (could use two)
Find a club member who can repair the repair. Have no idea what "rod" was used to make the original repair. Or someone else whose capable
Find a club member who can make new. Or someone else who is capable. I've attached a CAD drawing I did "years" ago in anticipation.
Thanks
IMG_1176.JPG
IMG_1177.JPG
rocker arm stand.jpg

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: RAJO Model B Rocker Arm Stand Help

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:00 pm

I sure would not leave it as-is
It looks like a simple enough part to fabricate and would not be surprised if someone doesn't have spares or a pattern. Even made from solid would not be too big a job, frankly.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:40 pm

I had new stands machined for my BB from T-6 block aluminum then line bored 25 years ago - didn't cost that much.

Bill Crosby
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Crosby
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 Touring, 1920 Coupe, 1926 RPU, 1927 RPU, 25 speedster project
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Bill Crosby » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:52 pm

Joseph, If you need It welded I have a Process for welding cast Iron. It Is called spray welding. I just repaired a broken part for a Duesenberg car that was irreplaceable. The weld Is as strong as the parent metal and does not leave any stress as conventional welding does. My opinion would be to make new ones and I could do that at a small cost. I have a 16K sq ft shop with any kind of equipment you could emagion, Both conventional and CNC. Bill

Topic author
henryford2
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Fordor, 1926 Truck, 1927 Roadster GOW, RAJO Sprint car

Post by henryford2 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:38 pm

Bill I've sent you a PM. Thanks

JSteele
First Name: John P.
Last Name: Steele
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 374
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 137

Post by JSteele » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:59 pm

Joe if you can't get that fixed I may have one and can check tomorrow, later afternoon.

Topic author
henryford2

Post by henryford2 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:06 pm

John prefer an unbroken original over attempting to repair this one. It would be great if you had one. Thanks

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:12 pm

Bill Crosby

could you aim me to a website regarding this welding process? I'm not having much luck. I am acquainted with plasma spray of various materials (and that's what my searches are all producing) but have never heard of spray welding...would like to learn more...thank you
Scott Conger

Bill Crosby
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Crosby
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 Touring, 1920 Coupe, 1926 RPU, 1927 RPU, 25 speedster project
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Bill Crosby » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:22 am

Scott, I didn't find much on the process that I use, There are many versions available that are good for high volume, such as Plasma, Arc and Gas spray. I have both high volume like a gas Metco P5 and low volume, hand held Gas torch for small individual jobs like a broken ear on a carb or a broken cast iron part big or small, It Is great for repairing freeze cracked blocks and heads. I have repaired Bronze Carbs with good success with bronze powder.

It uses very fine powders. I stock upwards of 30 different cast iron, steel and hard facing alloys, along with many aluminum, copper and bronze Powders. There are hundreds of alloys.

I did find a web site that has good general info ( https://weldguru.com/OLDSITE/spray-welding.html ) but not a lot of detailed technical Info.

I learned 40 years ago from a Metco Field Instructor who had a wealth of knowledge.

It Is not used for GP welding. A good Mig, Tig or Gas welding setup Is a lot more useful for the average or above average welder.

I had a customer who Hired me to weld 2 Chevy 500 CI blocks together to make a V16. That one was very expensive but very cool.

I could send or post pictures if you would like to see the equipment. I could also show the process If that would be helpful.

It has It's applications and Is appropriate for some situations.

If you want to call and talk about this or other subjects, my # Is 585-671-5959 After noon Is best.

Bill

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:10 am

Bill

your response and offer is most generous. Many thanks! I am not likely to become involved in this but am always very interested in technology and this was a new one on me. My experience with plasma was with AL2O3 plasma-sprayed onto Beryllium and then ground and lapped into a bearing surface. Very tough stuff! Also have experience building up metal for regrinding bearings, but that was not my equipment either.

Again, thank you for the detailed response.
Scott Conger

Topic author
henryford2

Post by henryford2 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:29 am

Thanks for all the help. It is indeed a simple part and more than likely I'll have one made. I've had a number of people offering. I am still holding out hope that someone may have an original laying around surplus to their needs. I've attached a copy of pictures that might help you identify that "mysterious" rocker arm stand sitting on your shelf and a way to get the post back to the top. Thanks again
IMG_1184.JPG
IMG_1183.JPG
IMG_1181.JPG

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:55 pm

If you do not find one quickly, I'd send to Bill Crosby. I firmly believe you will be happy with the result.

THEN, to NOT simply clamp the shaft. I have to believe that for longevity's sake, there needs to be a stack of peelable brass shims in that slot so that the stud can be torqued against a non-resisting surface! I have never seen this part and am equally unacquainted with speed equipment, but can say without hesitation that if this was originally designed to not to be used with a shim pack, then this is a pi$$-poor design for anything that is going to be tightened beyond finger tight.

Once repaired, I would treat all other rocker shaft stands thusly as well.
Scott Conger

Topic author
henryford2

Post by henryford2 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:31 pm

Scott interesting observation, couldn't the same be said for the manner in which the Model T Ford connecting rod and piston pin are held tight? I think the failure is a combination of poor design (not enough meat and wrong material choice.) Thanks Bill and I are trading emails and drawing back and forth, machining a new one is definitely the way to go)

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:30 pm

Joseph

actually, the stresses are quite different between a connecting rod wrist pin clamp and your standoff, though I think you make a cogent observation in bringing it up.

Your standoff suffers from terribly insignificant flexure area just after the very stiff beam-type cross section of the one bolt hole and the clamping bolt hole. There is no area to spread the stress across the circumference being clamped. It throws all the stress into a very short bending moment right at the bolt hole (and that's of course where it cracked). Cast Iron in particular doesn't like this (is probably Maleable Iron but not much better). Steel might survive, but I'd bet that whole design would benefit from packing material like I had mentioned, or redesigned with a significant rib across the entire top to spread stress across a MUCH greater area, since you cannot make the mounting points more flexible (nor would you want to).

The connecting rod is designed such that the material wants to wrap around the diameter of the pin and stretch which is a very strong and widely spread out stress, and in fact, there is no beam designed into it (the flexure area) and is almost purely a tension stress over a hoop, with no concentrated bending moment.

see if you can visualize what I'm saying by comparing a rod with the face-on shot of your standoff...now if the beam of the connecting rod ran all the way up the right side of this picture and stiffened the hoop of the wrist pin clamp, you'd have exactly the situation you are experiencing and these things would have failed constantly:
Attachments
connecting rod.jpg
Scott Conger

D Stroud
First Name: David
Last Name: Stroud
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by D Stroud » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:58 am

I'm no engineer, but I wholeheartedly agree with Scott. Just from a seat of the pants/school of hard knocks education. Dave
1925 mostly original coupe.

Topic author
henryford2

Post by henryford2 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:26 am

Thanks Scott, not disagreeing (I'm not a fan of "virtual" communications), just using this as a learning opportunity.

JSteele
First Name: John P.
Last Name: Steele
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 374
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 137

Post by JSteele » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:06 pm

Joe sorry I didn't find any original stand in the parts I just got. RAJO shafts, rockers, bolts, a set of machined blocks that are stands but no originals.

Topic author
henryford2

Post by henryford2 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:42 pm

John I've sent you an email. I would have an interest in the machined rocker arm stands. Thanks

Topic author
henryford2

Post by henryford2 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:18 pm

Just a follow-up to my original posts. After most leads on making new or having originals went dry, I made my own. Material the right thickness was purchased from McMaster Carr, a 22mm drill bit from Ebay. Fortunately I have a large heavy duty floor drill press that did just fine. Having an original to copy was a tremendous help. So approx. $100 later I have a set of 4. Thanks everyone for their advice and help.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic