Early Brake Lever question

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Belliott3
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Elliott
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 Model T Touring
MTFCA Number: 52438
MTFCI Number: 22121
Board Member Since: 2006

Early Brake Lever question

Post by Belliott3 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:49 am

I have an early style brake lever on my 1910 T; it has a pin holding it in place as well as a key. I am trying to remove the brake lever from the assembly in order to have it brass plated but I cannot seem to get it off. I've fully removed the pin and drilled it out, I've heated it up and tried using a puller on it but nothing seems to work - it just won't budge! Does anyone have any suggestions??? I really want to brass plate the lever, as my T was built 2/4/10 and they were still plating them at that time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Larry
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Gresh
MTFCI Number: 15762

Re: Early Brake Lever question

Post by Larry » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:31 am

Hello Bill,
What are you using for heat?
I am restoring an early 10 as well. In fact I think it was built on the same day as yours.
The emergency brake lever still had remnants of the original brass plating under the handle. I separated the handle from the shaft for plating as well.
Separating the lever and shaft was a real job. They will usually separate with minimal heat, (propane torch) But I had to heat this one with an acetylene torch. We heated it the whole way around, let it cool, then just heated the one side of it cherry red. I had the cross shaft loosely in a vice facing down and the lever straight out. I took a piece of steel slightly smaller in diameter than the cross shaft to hammer it out with. Still didn’t want to move. It was still a bear to get off.

Topic author
Belliott3
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Elliott
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 Model T Touring
MTFCA Number: 52438
MTFCI Number: 22121
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Belliott3 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:24 pm

Larry, thanks for the advice; I was using just a MAPP hand held torch but it still didn't budge. My son is going to take it to his shop this week and see if he can get it off. I'd be really interested in hearing more about your project, especially since they were produced the same day! Please send me a PM and a contact number and lets talk off line!

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:11 am

Is there a reason why the lever has to be removed to be plated? Why not just immerse the lever in the plating bath, suspended from the cross shaft? r is brass plating different from other types of plating?

Allan from down under.

Michael Paul
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Paul
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 touring, 1909 touring
MTFCA Number: 31791

Post by Michael Paul » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:02 pm

I watched a YouTube video on brass plating with a wire brush wheel. Very interesting, if you heat to a few hundred degrees, then use a powered brass wire wheel it transfers a brass coating to the steel.
Since the original brass plating on the early Ford's was very thin, this might be a great solution to an authentic looking job without having to take it apart.

I've never tried it myself yet, but it seemed to work great in the video.
Michael Paul

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic