New Day timer question

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules
User avatar

Topic author
Posts: 671
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:39 am
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
Location: Thumb of Michigan
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810

New Day timer question

Post by Oldav8tor » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:52 am

What was the composition of the original New Day timer brushes? The ones available now use a brass brush.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Jim Sims
Posts: 114
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:38 pm
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Sims
Location: Reed City,Mi.
MTFCI Number: 13377

Re: New Day timer question

Post by Jim Sims » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:56 am

All the old ones I have found were brass. But I think it was a special formula of brass and not just plain brass.

User avatar

Steve Jelf
Posts: 2561
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:37 pm
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
Location: Parkerfield, Kansas
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Re: New Day timer question

Post by Steve Jelf » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:06 am

Bronze. I use carbon, a piece cut down from a generator brush.

IMG_0168 copy.JPG
First attempt. It worked OK, but I cut later ones to fit better.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Posts: 619
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:57 am
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
Location: Wisconsin
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Re: New Day timer question

Post by Adam » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:02 am

I had an original New Day timer, brand new in its box, and the brush was a copper color. It seems to be lasting fairly well.

The “new, correctly made” new day timers have a brass colored brush that seems to last fairly well too, but not quite as well as the 80+ year old originals.

Before the “good new” New Day timers were available, I experimented a couple years ago with a carbon brush and a “copper” brush made out of a nos Ford starter brush. When used with a good original timer shell, The copper brush lasted at least twice as long as the carbon brush.

The brass colored brush that comes with the currently available New Day timers seems to last about twice as long as the copper starter motor brush.

If looking for a brush, I would contact the manufacturer of the New Day timer and order a couple from him.

Some of the vendors were also selling an earlier version of these brushes that had poor longevity and there may be quite a bit of old stock floating around out there so it might be the luck of the draw of what you get unless you got one direct from the current manufacturer.

Rich Bingham
Posts: 1144
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:23 am
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
Location: Blackfoot, Idaho

Re: New Day timer question

Post by Rich Bingham » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:08 pm

A bronze starter brush might be a good choice to make one for the New Day. I believe they are of an alloy that contains graphite. I think New Day used something similar originally.
"Get a horse !"

Posts: 1321
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:21 pm
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
Location: Gawler, Australia

Re: New Day timer question

Post by Allan » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:38 pm

My auto elec son makes replacements using starter motor copper brushes, not necessarily T items. He leaves the wire tail on them and solders this to the brush body to make a failproof contact rather than relying on the sliding sides of the brush and the spring.

Allan from down under.

Original Smith
Posts: 1440
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:43 am
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
Location: Lomita, California
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Re: New Day timer question

Post by Original Smith » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:43 am

I had an electric motor shop make me a length of copper, with a 1% carbon content a few years ago. They configured the shape for me to fit an original New Day brush holder. After that, I had a machinist cut each brush to the original length. I think I wound up with a dozen of them. Only last week did I have the back of each brush bored to accept the spring, and the hole drilled in the side for the keeper. I haven't had a chance to try one of them yet, but it looks promising.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic