ILLUSIVE RATTLE SOLVED!!

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
John Dow
First Name: John
Last Name: Dow
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32344
Board Member Since: 2015

ILLUSIVE RATTLE SOLVED!!

Post by John Dow » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:33 am

Dear friends, My nearly overwhelming feeling of ineptness is only surpassed by my great joy and relief. I can report I have found and corrected the"rattle" that has plagued me for so many months. I am truly in your debt for the countless thoughts and suggestions you folks have offered me on possible causes and remedies. The critical factor I never gave you is I am running a Reeder high compression aluminum head. The rattle I've experienced is excessively loud "knock" from low octane regular gasoline. I can't explain why the noise ended when I shorted out #3 but with a fill up of 91 octane and a little reduction in spark advance the cursed rattle has stopped. My '23 touring has always run very well but it now sounds just like a Model T should with no additional "wrenchin'" needed. Thank you again for all your thoughts, comments and suggestions.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: ILLUSIVE RATTLE SOLVED!!

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:42 pm

Very glad you beat this.
The missing HC head info would have been useful, as high compression heads make spark advance and pinging an "upfront" issue. MUCH more sensitive to barking at you if advance is off a bit on the "advanced" side of things. #3 may have just a bit more compression than the others and was the one talking to you because of that.

Good for you and your persistence.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

rondupree
First Name: Ronald
Last Name: Dupree
MTFCA Number: 22940
MTFCI Number: 15830

Re: ILLUSIVE RATTLE SOLVED!!

Post by rondupree » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:46 pm

My experience with the low Reeder head was similar to yours. I found that even with high octane gas, I had a very narrow range of spark positions between so retarded that I lost performance, and the presence of the 'Reeder rattle'

Ron Dupree
Ron Dupree

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic