What’s this?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Mark Osterman
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Osterman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 runabout

What’s this?

Post by Mark Osterman » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:31 pm

This came in a box of NOS carburetor parts
Attachments
F76B001B-F62C-4AA5-AF15-C3AC68F77849.jpeg

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: What’s this?

Post by Scott_Conger » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:48 pm

One of the many "cyclone" gee-whiz mileage quadrupelers available "in the day"
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
Mark Osterman
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Osterman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 runabout

Post by Mark Osterman » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:35 am

Thanks ... I was thinking that but couldn’t remember what they are called to do a search.

tmodeldriver
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Hester
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 touring, 27 touring, 22 TT
MTFCA Number: 26459
MTFCI Number: 20813
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by tmodeldriver » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:57 am

J. C. Whitney sold one they called a mini-supercharger. Somebody used to say that if you installed all of J. C. Whitney's gas saving devices you could start out with an empty tank and when your tank got full you could siphon it out and sell it to your neighbors. :lol:

RichardG
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Grzegorowicz
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 T pickup

Post by RichardG » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:00 am

Mark, boy that brings back memory's , years ago when the flat head ruled the road I had a friend GEORGE PARKER, he was my age when I was 18, im 81, he helped me build a twin carb manifold for my 59-ab -- we used two strongburg 97's, this is where it becomes interesting, with valve grinding paste we pollished the inside of the intake ports by hand, with a sponge and stick, took many hours,did the same with the block,on the manifold we cut the base from one and did the same with the one we used for my engine, now this was before you could buy this stuff ,built a platform for each carb to rest on, he melted sulpher to seal the cuts, we made up the linkage and had to off set the generater now the interesting part, he took some 00 brass screen and a hard rubber ball the size of the ports on the manifold he pushed the ball into each port with the screen over the opening to make room for the butter fly to turn with out hitting the screen, used two gaskets one bottom and one on top of this screen. we did a bunch of other things to this engine too ,all this was in a 40 FORD club convertable, now this little beast was a hand full when you got after it, we endid uo poreing 3 or4 inch cement in the trunk with some added spring to boot, GEORGE told me that screen when the engine was wharmed up would fog the gas ,and with the two carbs pushing that mixture in the chambers boosted the power, by a lot, the first car to beat that old ford was a 56 chrysler 300-d .I had him for the first 100 yards, then that massive tank got its footing and gave me a cold when he went by, later i had a ride in that thing [he driving] 140 mph no sweat-- my engine is long gone but the ford belongs to a buddy, it now has a caddy engine. those were the days my friend--yup they were.

John Codman
First Name: John
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:44 am

I agree that the photo in the OP is a gas-mileage gimmick, but my Piper Comanche had a (very) soft Aluminum flow-director bolted under the carburetor. This was OE Lycoming. It was made of very soft Aluminum because it was not easily inspectable, and it was designed so that if a piece broke off, it would go through the engine without causing damage. One did, and it did.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic