1913 Touring - Location of Side Curtain Fasteners

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
dllr28bl
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Woolf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Touring

1913 Touring - Location of Side Curtain Fasteners

Post by dllr28bl » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:21 pm

I’m trying to finish up the top for my 1913 Touring and need to know the location for the side curtain fasteners on the inside of the car. The top that was on the car had several curtain fasteners attached to the inside of the lower edge of the top. That may be correct, but I’m not sure and was wanting to ask the question. Anyone out there with a pretty original ’13 Touring that could post some pictures?

Thanks,
Dan

Chris Instness
First Name: Christopher
Last Name: Instness
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 runabout, 1923 speedster
MTFCA Number: 52552

Re: 1913 Touring - Location of Side Curtain Fasteners

Post by Chris Instness » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:00 pm

You might try contacting Original Smith through a PM. I think he has a very correct 1913 touring and I believe the told me he has side curtains for it.
Best of luck.

Topic author
dllr28bl

Post by dllr28bl » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:11 pm

Chris,

I actually did send him a PM, but have not heard back from him. I thought I would also put it out on the Forum to see if anyone else might know.

Thanks,
Dan

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:52 pm

Replies will be slow the next several days. Many people you want to hear from are tied up with the Old Car Festival!

Topic author
dllr28bl

Post by dllr28bl » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:57 pm

Thanks Wayne. I figured that was the case.

Dan

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:41 am

I can't be of much help on this one. I have some of the fastener locations, but not all. Kim Dobbins has a '13 with a new top. He had all of the fastener locations moved from the original top to the new one. Dan Killecut in New York also has an original car and top. One thing is for sure. The body isn't drilled for common sense fasteners anywhere!

Bob McDaniel
First Name: Bob
Last Name: McDaniel
MTFCA Number: 28428
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Bob McDaniel » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:34 pm

I don't know if mine would be of any help but maybe it will. It still has the original top and is not restored. I just don't know where to start to get what you need and am tied up with other things right now that can not wait. I also have the side curtains that came with it. Everything fits together real good. If you can hold out for a while till things settle down here I am willing to help. This is the reason I decided to preserve this car rather than restore it. Please note that in my pictures the top is not held tight due to missing or broken straps and some fasteners are missing or damaged so the corner of the front section of the side curtain is loose and so it sags but the location of the damaged or missing fastener may still be intact.
SANY1171.JPG
SANY1172.JPG
SANY1200.JPG
SANY1201.JPG
SANY1221.JPG
These are the only pictures I have in this computer but more can be taken since I was not looking for anything when I took these and some are not the best quality. Hope this will help for now.
Give an old car guy a barn and he won't throw anything away.

Topic author
dllr28bl

Post by dllr28bl » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:56 pm

Bob,

Thank you so much for posting the pictures. They actually help a lot! I am able to see all of the fasteners, I believe, except any between the 2nd and 3rd bows. I assume there is one fastener between those two bows as there seems to be between bows 1 & 2 and 3 & 4.

I will also need to make side curtains after I complete the top. I would appreciate any additional photos of them when you have a chance to make them.

Thank you!
Dan

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:35 pm

The fasteners on your car appear to be the same as Kim's car.

Bob McDaniel
First Name: Bob
Last Name: McDaniel
MTFCA Number: 28428
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Bob McDaniel » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:07 pm

Dan,

I will take some better pictures for you and measure from a point on the top that can be found on other cars to locate them. Also I loaned out my side curtains to Mike at Clastique over the summer so he could confirm they are original and make a pattern and start reproducing them for people like you that will be looking for them. I guess good originals are getting scarce after over 106 years and I felt these would do someone more good in the right hands than just sitting in a box under my seat. If they got lost or damaged they would do no good for anyone.

I am not at home and don't know when I will have the time but will get to it soon I hope, hang in there........

Larry,

Thank you for your help and willingness to share what you have learned with the rest of us. It's you and others like you that make this hobby a little more fun and interesting.
Give an old car guy a barn and he won't throw anything away.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic