JWB 520

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Mikes 1912
First Name: Lester
Last Name: Husted
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 20

JWB 520

Post by Mikes 1912 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:38 am

Is there any information on JWB 520 headlights?

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: JWB 520

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:50 pm

" J W B M CO COLO USA MODEL 520 PAT APRIL 14 1914" stamped in a circular pattern around the lamp socket/plug means John W Brown Manufacturing company. I first thought it may mean COLOrado, but found out it means COLumbus Ohio. The model number of course being 520, and the official patent date. They were one of the several (minor variations) lamps used for the early electric headlamps on model Ts, provided the adjusting screw is in the twelve o'clock position.
Usually referred to simply as John Brown lamps, they made lamps for model T Fords and many other cars and after-market for many years.
I have what I believe to be a new old stock, never mounted headlamp bucket with such a stamping (it must have sat in an odd place for a long time as the outside paint is in poor condition, but the inside paint looks untouched original with a still mirror-like finish!). I also have a restored pair of them for my '15 runabout. Exactly when and how long these were used on model T Fords I wasn't able to find out. But they are fairly rare, and I suspect they were used for a couple years or less. They are generally now accepted as being correct for 1915, and may be correct for as late as 1917 as long as the adjusting screw is in the twelve o'clock position. Some later lamps have been seen with a similar stamping, but later style post and adjusting screw on the side. I do not know for certain if the model number for those is the same, but would guess it likely is. Why only very few later style lamps have the stamping? I don't know. Maybe only some were stamped? Maybe only after-market replacements? Maybe John Brown wasn't making very many anymore? I don't know.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic