6 VOLT STARTING PROBLEM.

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Novice
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring. 1923/26 Open Express. 1920 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 49832
MTFCI Number: 24686
Board Member Since: 2017

6 VOLT STARTING PROBLEM.

Post by Novice » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:09 pm

6 VOLT STARTING PROBLEM
I had a problem with My 6 volt 26 open express. it has always chugged and turned over slowly since I have owned it. But it got to turning over slower and slower and one day I started smelling electrical wire burning and it wouldn't turn over. Turns out the fix was simple the cure a little more work. The lock washer on the battery side of the starter switch bolt went flat losing its tension allowing the nut to loosen up. causing a poor connection and the wire & lug to get hot and burn the insulation and discolor them. further investigation discovered the battery to starter switch wire was a small gauge cable 12 volt wire and the original heavy duty cable was being used as a ground wire. adding about three feet of unneeded small gauge wire between the battery and starter switch. I cleaned up all the connections and cable lugs replaced the lock washers. tossed the 12 volt cable. swapped the long 35" heavy gauge cable from ground to hot side of the battery and built a new 10 inch ground wire out very heavy gauge wire. WoW what a difference instead of chug-----chug-----Chug-----Chug. it's now Chug-Chug-Chug-Chug a slight hesitation on compression stroke but not much. it's 95 degree's and the oil is warm but hopefully it will still crank ok in the dead of winter but maybe slower. I wanted to see how 6 volt starting worked when all the connections were good and the cables the proper gauge and length of wire. While it does not wind up like My touring with 12 volts I don't haft to worry much about blowing a bendix either ? turns over fast enough to start the truck with no problem. Preaching to the Choir. But If You have a starting problems. check connections and cable size first before getting too excited. and don't forget the 6 volt battery. Keep a good automatic battery maintainer on it during the winter and long storage.
My 2 cents worth maybe less.

Tony_H
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Howard
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Tourer 1925 Coup

Re: 6 VOLT STARTING PROBLEM.

Post by Tony_H » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:49 pm

Sounds like you worked out the problems OK.
Only other thing that I did with my 6 volt systems is to run an Earth ( Ground) strap direct from the battery to the starter motor and not rely on 90+ year old bolts to provide the contact through the chassis.
That got the starter turning a bit more positively.
Government - because people struggle to ruin their lives by themselves

Charlie B in N.J.
First Name: CHARLIE
Last Name: BRANCA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: "27 Tudor / "23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 28967
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Charlie B in N.J. » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:11 pm

Novice did it a bit differently but accomplished the same thing as I did. I smelled burning after a compression test with a chronically slow 6 vt. starter. It was that darn braided neg. cable. World of difference in cranking after it hit the trash can.
Forget everything you thought you knew.

Gonenorth
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Whelihan
MTFCA Number: 30688
Board Member Since: 2008

Post by Gonenorth » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:08 pm

If your connections are good, consider an Optima Red top 6v battery next time you need one. Yes, they cost more...but they last longer and have 800 CCA. Most 6v batteries have 600 CCA. Those extra cold cranking amps really roll it over.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:23 pm

I'll second the Optima red top recommendation. I share one between 3 cars. Set up with wing nut terminals, it is easy and CLEAN to transfer from one car to another. Because it gets used, it rarely needs to go on a charger, but I have one on standby anyway. Spendy, but well worth it.

Allan from down under.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic