New New York License Plates

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Jugster
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Coiro
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring
Board Member Since: 2009

New New York License Plates

Post by Jugster » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:54 am

New New York License Plate.jpg

Here in the State of New York, our illustrious governor—the one who recently told the American people that America was never that great—has decided to confiscate more money from motorists and so, came up with a new license plate which will cost each car owner $25 per car. For me, that means $25 for my modern Chevy, $25 for my wife's Toyota, $25 for the old Saturn I inherited when my Dad passed away and whatever the state is going to charge me for my Model T's new vanity plates (I'm guessing an extra $50 on top of the standard $25), so I'm probably looking at $150 to change out perfectly good license plates.

I'm tired of this nonsense. Maybe it's time for me to ditch the vanity plates (which say 1915T) and try to get some antique New York plates that I'll never have to switch out. Does anybody know how I can go about finding such vintage plates and making them official?

Bill Dizer
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Dizer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 coupe, 1927 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 28610
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2014

Re: New New York License Plates

Post by Bill Dizer » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:10 pm

Matching set, not great condition as far as paint on eBay now, asking 125.00 Not mine and no interest!

John Codman
First Name: John
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:48 pm

I would doubt that the governor by himself has the authority to arbitrarily decide that you need new plates and double the cost.

Chad_Marcheese
First Name: Chad
Last Name: Marcheese
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Cut Off Touring / Pickup, 1923 Doodlebug / 1924 Speedster Gow Job
MTFCA Number: 26904
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Chad_Marcheese » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:04 pm

John Codman wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:48 pm
I would doubt that the governor by himself has the authority to arbitrarily decide that you need new plates and double the cost.
He did---by himself. various Lawmakers and citizens are up in arms about it. At $25/per car, that leaves me at 5 vehicles plus a car trailer-----$150. My T has original Year of Manufacture (YOM) plates on it.

He "claims" they are old and can't be easily read by the Easy-Pass scanners----the Thruway Authority (State highway dept) says the Easy-Pass has no issues reading the current run of plates nor the set before them that are over 15 years old and still in use as well.

To answer the other question, you need to find a matching READABLE set of plates (probably no easy task for a 1915---and your going to pay for them). You can call to see if the numbers are available for use, and then you send $3.75 in with a picture of the unrestored plates and a registration form. FYI, your insurance card MUST ALSO have "HISTORICAL" printed across it. Once approved, they send you a new registration back with your new plate number. At that time if you want the plates to look nice, have them restored to new.

NY does not want to have "restored"plates in use---even though almost everyone does. One of mine was one the shy side of unreadable, I touched it up so it looked good in the pic. My plates are unrestored otherwise to keep the look of the unrestored vehicle they go on. That was my choice. If I had a nice shiny black T, they would be restored to like new to match the vehicle.

Here are the full details..... https://dmv.ny.gov/apply-vintage-plates

The caveat is the historical registrations are due yearly, not bi-yearly like regular registrations.

Dan B
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Blaydon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring

Post by Dan B » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:28 pm

Unless you’re driving your T as daily transportation, I would just find an old NY plate to put on and be done with it. I carry my real “antique” tag and paperwork under the rear seat in case I get pulled over which has never happened.
1923 Touring

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:47 pm

You should be happy that it only costs $25. Illinois fee is $101 for random numbered plate (renewals just get a sticker)- but if you want to support an ideology there are about 70 various designs to choose from (at additional cost). Here are just a few...
Attachments
IL plates.jpg
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

VowellArt
First Name: Martynn
Last Name: Vowell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Touring, th "Lady"
MTFCA Number: 9908
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by VowellArt » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:19 pm

Try 40 Ford Steve on Ebay...that's where I got mine,

LicensePlate.jpg
both front and rear, DMV cleared.
Fun never quits!

Mark Osterman
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Osterman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 runabout

Post by Mark Osterman » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:33 pm

A matching pair of antique ny plates the year of your car is usually an easy find at Hershey. Ask someone who is going to get you some. Reregister them. State inspection is $10 at my service station.

Peter, Memphis TN
First Name: Peter
Last Name: Claverie
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring

Post by Peter, Memphis TN » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:19 pm

I live in Memphis, which comprises most - but not all - of Shelby County, Tennessee. That means there are two governments, two mayors, and two sets of rules governing me. In addition, I pay Property Tax to both, and they are about equal amounts. All that I learned when I moved here, and I've pretty much gotten over the shock.

Now, however, the Mayor of Shelby County has decreed - apparently without consent of the Council - that any address in the County at which more than two vehicles (cars, trucks, RV's, trailers) are registered, will pay $147.00 each year for each one over the original two. And that the money raised will help fund the MATA (bus) program.

In my case, that means I will pay $147 for my Model T, $147 for its trailer, and $147 for my old work truck, which doesn't run but I keep it as a tool and equipment storage convenience.

And I don't ride the bus --- ever!! What I do know is that the buses are huge monsters, taking up 2 lanes of the street, and I'm told there are rarely more riders than fingers on your hands.

Just another example of civic leaders looking for more ways to make us pay for their extravagances!!

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:57 pm

You should get a set (2 plates, front & back) EBAY has 2 sets of NY 1915 for sale ($125 needs restor3- $300 ready to go)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1915-NY-Licens ... SwyhRdXIdH
I'm in the process of refurbishing as set of 1921 IL plates. First what they looked like on EBAY (I zoomed in and they looked solid)
IL 1.jpg
Placed them in a bath of RustRestorer (KrudKutter brand) then brushed of the residue black residue.
New powdery rust over night.
IL 2.jpg
Then wire brushed it
IL 3.jpg
Painted front black, back with clear coat, next week white numbers
Attachments
IL 4.jpg
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

mtntee20
First Name: Terry & Sharon
Last Name: Miller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 Center Door, 1920 TTWood cab Farm Truck with cable dump grain bed, 1920 TT C-Cab with express bed, 1927 Wood body Dairy Delivery truck
MTFCA Number: 32583
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by mtntee20 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:48 am

A word of caution: Be careful when and IF you restore your license plate/plates. Some states, Colorado, do not allow restored plates to be displayed on a vehicle in lieu of State issued plates ( Colorado allows YOM plates but just not restored YOM plates). SO, we are going to have the plates we purchased (or will purchase in the future) registered to the vehicle PRIOR to restoration. After the registration is complete, we may or may not do any restoration but the State will never know or really care about it then.

Check around to see if you have a license plate club/organization in your state or area. We found a nearly pristine set of 1920 plates from a local license plate collector who is a mainstay of the local license plate club (I never knew existed).

Good Luck,
Terry

John Codman
First Name: John
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:59 am

Massachusetts does not allow restored YOM plates, but as was said earlier, people do it anyway. I'm not sure what their issue with restored plates is. Florida does allow restored plates, but you have to send the restored plate to the DMV in Tallahassee to be approved. There is a fee for this.
As to the OP - I would be interested in knowing what statute(s) the NY governor is citing to unilaterally decree that New York residents have to do something or pay something. That's kinda the point of having a legislature. Typically, governors and presidents are not allowed to rule by decree, except under certain emergency situations. I would doubt that license plates are a legitimate emergency. New York requires motor vehicle inspections (as does Massachusetts) Part of the Massachusetts inspection is the condition of the license plates. As a former Massachusetts inspector, I have rejected quite a number of vehicles for unreadable plates. If NY has a problem with unreadable plates (in addition to their problem with ugly plates), they need to do a bit of retraining of their vehicle inspectors.

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:40 pm

In my leftist-run city, the dipweeds at the top fine car owners to pay for bicycle lanes
and other pet projects they dream up. What galls me is that any of these people are
personally worth millions, yet do nothing with their own money to set up a foundation
or similar to undertake these pet projects, yet they expect everyone else to pony up !

Last year they spent MILLIONS to find shelters and other BS for the street parasites.
With such programs, these urchins flock from all over to take advantage of the giveaways.
Meanwhile, good people, honestly struggling to make a better life for themselves have
all the charity resources syphoned away by those uninterested in working or being anything
but a blight, wherever they go.

And the politicos just milk this BS to death and make those of us that DO work and pay
taxes pay for it all.
More people are doing it today than ever before !

R.V.Anderson
First Name: R.V.
Last Name: Anderson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914, 1920, 1923, 1923

Post by R.V.Anderson » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:06 pm

FWIW, a state legislator representing the North Tonawanda area of NY is introducing legislation that would require the state to collect no more than their actual cost to produce new plates (65 cents per plate). I doubt it's going anywhere, but it puts the governor, who hotly denied that his scheme is simply a money grab, on the hot seat.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:18 pm

How do they know whether a plate is restored, or well-preserved?
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Russ T Fender
First Name: Val
Last Name: Soupios
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '10 touring, '12 touring, '13 hack, '14 runabout, '14 touring, '14 speedster, '22 centerdoor, '27 touring

Post by Russ T Fender » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:39 pm

Steve, they don't know but that does not stop them from rejecting a mint plate as restored. Those morons at the NYDMV are often wrong but never in doubt! I had a mint 1913 Plate they rejected. I had a trashed plate they approved and then I had it restored. Bottom line, their stupidity cost me the $100 to have the trashed plate restored after they approved it. Now both plates look the same! One is legal and the other is not. I moved out of NY to escape their stupidity but if I still lived there I would just use whatever plate I wanted and to hell with them!

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:00 pm

Here are the NY state DMV rules for HISTORIC and VINTAGE plates (there is a difference)
https://dmv.ny.gov/learn-about-historic ... age-plates
https://dmv.ny.gov/apply-vintage-plates

To "prove" you have an original pictures help (just say you got it from the INTERNET ;) ) But print it off & say they can keep it for their records http://nyplates.net/gallery.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_r ... f_New_York

Whenever you run into red tape - be especially nice, review the "official" evidence of why you think you comply and
ask what you need to do to get them to approve it, get ready to write it down in front of them, but just before you do that ask for their name or badge-id "so you can follow-up if there not around when you return".
Mick Jagger

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic