partly OT, but T parts involved, maybe

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
thom
First Name: Tommy
Last Name: Coffey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '21 Touring

partly OT, but T parts involved, maybe

Post by thom » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:47 pm

I'm planning to build a horseless carriage, like might have been done by a shadetree mechanic/builder around the turn of the century, from an Amish built buggy I have. The major modification, of course will be the front axle and steering, and the addition of a motor and transmission. The center pivot steering will have to go and be replaced with something with king pins/bolts and spindles of course. I think I will try to replicate Model T front suspension and steering, since I have a T to compare to. The alignment will not be super critical as this will be a low speed, non street legal machine. It would take at least an act of congress if not one from the president to get a title for such here in NC. My plan for an engine is to either find something period correct or modify an early Briggs & Stratton to look period correct by adding drip oilers and cooling fans for the cylinder(s). Oh yeah, the wheels will have to have so rubber added to the metal tires too. Anybody ever done something like this and live to tell about it? :?: I am a member of the Yahoo group "Horseless Carriage Builders".
20190901_151202.jpg
20190901_151228.jpg
20190901_152851.jpg
Both front wheels are damaged but can be repaired or replaced. One rear wheel has been recently rebuilt. Some other parts are damaged also, but can be repaired . The damage was done when a car ran into it while it was parked in the parking lot of a country store. Thanks.