Jan/February MT Times

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Jan/February MT Times

Post by Original Smith » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:15 pm

I want to begin by complimenting Natalie on another fantastic job with this issue, and to Royce with his knowledge of 1915's. Next, I'd like to comment on Eric Macleod's article on Gordon and Marcia's 1916 Runabout. There are several items where incorrect data has been supplied, and can be verified in the current Judging Guidelines, seventh edition. The only thing I believe to be correct that is not in the guidelines is the prop nut. That isn't the correct term, but you should see what Ford called it! It should be painted black, and to my knowledge they are 1 1/2" diameter. The steering column cover, should either be solid brass, or at least, brass plated. Next, the spark and throttle rods should be brass plated. The license plate bracket on page 13 is on a touring, not a roadster, and I'm pretty sure the 1916's were riveted, and did not have a castle nut. On page 14, the hot air pipe pictured was last used in 1913, and possibly part of '14. On page 15, the photo at the top of the page correctly identifies a 1915 breather cap, but incorrectly identifies the 1916. A 1916 says Ford Made in USA, but is the new larger three flute design. Lastly, I love the back cover with that new 1923 Runabout. It is so clear, I can almost see the detail on the hide'em welt tips!

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Re: Jan/February MT Times

Post by DanTreace » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:47 pm

Larry

As Gordon was quoted in the article, he added certain incorrect items for personalization. This '16 is rather nice and looks like a '16 should :D

BTW, the rear cover car is a high hood '24 :P
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Topic author
Original Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U

Post by Original Smith » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:18 pm

Interesting Dan! I thought it had a high cowl too, but then I noticed it had no apron.

Topic author
Original Smith

Post by Original Smith » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:23 pm

I don't think any of the items I mentioned were for personalization! What if a new to the hobby read that article and decided it was set in stone? I can understand wanting to put a roll up rear curtain in for summer driving, but nothing else!

GordK
First Name: Gord
Last Name: Koll
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926Touring, 1926Tudor, 1916Runabout
MTFCA Number: 17740

Post by GordK » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:58 pm

Larry,
Obviously, you missed the entire premise of the article which was to compare things that were different from the '15 features to the same '16 feature. Try reading the entire article again and see if any of it makes sense. When you have finished, please keep your sniping comments to yourself. We have all heard enough of your crap! And BTW it is my car and I'm proud of the workmanship and I promise I will not ask you to drive it. Now go back in your den.

Fire_chief
First Name: Charlie
Last Name: Gagel
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 12 Tourings(2),14 Tourings(2),15 Touring,22Touring,22 TT,21 Fire Truck,14 Chief Car
MTFCA Number: 8377
MTFCI Number: 22437

Post by Fire_chief » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:15 am

Gordon, I had the pleasure to be parked by you on two occasions. The first was the MTFCI tour this summer, and the second was at OCF in September. You do have a very presentable T. There are very few T's that are 100% correct, but yours is close. Everyone has the right to change their car for their own preference. You can park next to me anytime. I promise not to criticize.

George Mills
First Name: George
Last Name: Mills
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Roadster, 1919 Hack, 1925 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 29497
MTFCI Number: 10032
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George Mills » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:43 am

With all due respect to everybody, I rather liked the article and in fact was a bit captivated by it.

The big points that I took away were A- Gord likes drivers more-so than just "pretty's"... B- Here was an original candidate that could have just as easily turned into another '15 on its way to getting done.

Personally...when I see a true '16 at an event that has been deliberately kept a '16...they have a certain bravado personality to them along with a unique 'presence'.

That said....I have a true 15 with now "cheater" side-lamps. (square back reflector) because the ones on the car when I bought it were tattered but usable...and some may remember the record e-bay price paid for a gorgeous set of Never Lit 'Brass Side Lamps for Model T' on E-bay only to find on receiving that they were actually fakes...(later with steel door rims and chimney tops all plated brass) but otherwise the most beautiful finished set you ever wanted to see. :roll:

(No E-Bay resolution as E Bay said he didn't lie...since the picture showed brass color and since there was no pic from the top...shame on me for not asking first)

KeithG
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Gumbinger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '14 Touring, '26 RPU, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
MTFCA Number: 4661
MTFCI Number: 6866
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by KeithG » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:44 pm

Gord, I just wanted to tell you I like your car and liked the article too. I respect and applaud your decision to keep this car as a '16 instead of making it into a '15, and also your decision to add a few things to make it a nicer driver car like the roll-up rear window.
Best wishes,
Keith
'14 Touring, '26 Roadster Pickup, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
Motto: It's hard to build a garage that's tooooo big! :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic