Would like to see a new Forum section for discussing modern accessories for your Model T

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Would like to see a new Forum section for discussing modern accessories for your Model T

Post by DHort » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:17 am

There has been a lot of talk about what can and cannot be discussed in the 'General Discussion Forum'. I think many would agree that this area should pertain to the Model T as it was built. I recommend that the Grand Pooba add another section where members can discuss modern upgrades to the Model T. This might include safety hubs, ECCT, LED lights, etc. Manufacturers and developers and vendors could come to this section to discuss their products. What do you think about it? Would this be a positive, win-win action?

GG Gregory
First Name: GG
Last Name: Gregory
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 Roadster

Re: Would like to see a new Forum section for discussing modern accessories for your Model T

Post by GG Gregory » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:34 am

Also period accessories.

DLodge
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Lodge
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 19659
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Would like to see a new Forum section for discussing modern accessories for your Model T

Post by DLodge » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:15 pm

And when we arrive at 58 separate sections, most posts won't be read. The reason each post has a subject is so that potential readers can be informed of what the post concerns and choose to read it or not. Basically, you seem to be saying that, instead of a General Discussion Forum about Model Ts, we need a separate forum for accessories, open cars, closed cars, restored cars, rusty cars, Model T driving techniques, etc. etc. etc. If "Modern accessory for your Model T" is in the subject line, most of us can probably figure out what the post is going to be about. When I log on to the forum, I go to the general discussion forum. Once in a blue moon, I remember to take a look at Off Topic. If General Discussion Forum gets divided into Specific Discussion Forum 1, SDF2, SDF3, etc, I'd be more likely to stop coming here altogether. (Of course, you may not consider that a great loss, but taking something simple and easy and making it complicated and difficult is seldom an improvement. :D )

D Stroud
First Name: David
Last Name: Stroud
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by D Stroud » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:28 pm

What Dick said. As far as I'm concerned, there are too many sections now. JMHO Dave
1925 mostly original coupe.

Marv K
First Name: Marv
Last Name: Konrad
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 TT Steel Cab ("ToyBox Twoo"), '25 Coupe ("Cranky")
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Marv K » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:40 pm

Mr. Lodge hits the nail right on the thumb! Too many sections cause disinterest in others. Stimulating thought becomes lost, and less attention becomes normal. Kinda like sticking one's nose in an iPhone and ignoring the rest of the world. JMHO
"Let's Figgur it owt!" Just fix it (right), and make it work.....
Aah-OO-Gah! (and), "Happy T-ing!"

MKossor
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Kossor
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Touring
MTFCI Number: 22706

Post by MKossor » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:47 pm

I agree with Dick. The bottom line is the New forum Rule prohibiting Model T product developers from discussing the merits of their creations, theory of operation, and fielding application questions of interest to many here was a poor decision and disservice the forum. How the heck is suppressing discussion of good, reliable products that work really well and help folks enjoy the hobby more in the best interest of the forum or the hobby?

Just think; No One would have ever heard of Fun Projects or the wonderful products they make if the current Forum Rules been in effect the prohibiting discussion of the merits and applications by the developer the last 15 Years or relegated to some obscure Forum sub-section that no one ever reads. Where else would you have learned about them? Don't recall ever seeing a printed ad for the popular voltage regulator or other great product anywhere else, do you? What New products or services are you missing out on today because of this new Rule?

I think the powers that be really need to rethink their decision and the harm is doing to the hobby and its members by suppressing product developer discussions here. Please consider letting them know your feelings if you agree this Rule really needs to be repealed. https://mtfca.com/clubpages/contacts.htm
I-Timer + ECCT Adjusted Coils = Best Model T Engine Performance Possible!
www.modeltitimer.com www.modeltecct.com

Kaiser
First Name: Leo
Last Name: van Stirum
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Kaiser » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:06 pm

What i like about this new ( and the old ) forum, it is in a way a conversation among a group of friends (a.k.a bench racing ) where the conversation can at one time be highly specific technical and another time just wanders, straying from one subject to something entirely different.
So please keep it as is, it's what makes me come back here time and again, like going to the neighbourhood garage for a soda and some b.s. and you never know you might learn something in the meantime ;)

just my 2c
When in trouble, do not fear, blame the second engineer ! 8-)
Leo van Stirum, Netherlands
'23 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver

Marv K
First Name: Marv
Last Name: Konrad
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 TT Steel Cab ("ToyBox Twoo"), '25 Coupe ("Cranky")
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Marv K » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:27 pm

"Hi!" to Leo from 'across the pond'....
You've caught my point. However, the disinterest in some sections doesn't allow us the opportunity to learn something we didn't already know. Knowledge feeds the human brain. Opinions may be passed off just as 'Fake News'. How else would we have learned about the correct oil to use, about Marvel Mystery Oil, water pumps, and other numerous things???? I advocate for fewer sections.....
"Let's Figgur it owt!" Just fix it (right), and make it work.....
Aah-OO-Gah! (and), "Happy T-ing!"

Kaiser
First Name: Leo
Last Name: van Stirum
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver

Post by Kaiser » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:03 pm

Hey Marv, now why did you have to bring up Marvel Mystery Oil, now the s##t is gone hit the fan :lol: :lol:
When in trouble, do not fear, blame the second engineer ! 8-)
Leo van Stirum, Netherlands
'23 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver

SurfCityGene
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Carrothers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Torpedo Roadster
MTFCA Number: 22905
MTFCI Number: 23068
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by SurfCityGene » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:38 pm

I don't often look into the Classifieds just because it's another click and I guess I'm too lazy. I do know that I have made purchases from the old Forum just because I saw something as I looked thru the threads.

It's also sad that some discussions are prevented because of the recent anti advertising rule. This is a disservice to all members.
1912 Torpedo Roadster

Tim Rogers
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Rogers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe & 1923 Runabout
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by Tim Rogers » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:58 pm

And you can't have rules if they are not consistently and equally enforced.

Plenty of irrelevant posts never get moved to the "Off Topic" section and more rules will just make it harder to manage all the posts.

I miss the old forum- simple and full of charm. This is one is too modern and cold...
<o><o><o><o> Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks - Forum member since 2013 <o><o><o><o>

Doug Keppler
First Name: Douglas
Last Name: Keppler
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 49716

Post by Doug Keppler » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:36 pm

Mike is absolutly right, why would the promotion of a product that is an asset to the hobby, the Model T, be stifled here where all that is discussed is the Model T, it Is the Model T forum, DUH just rediculous!
1924 Touring car
There's No Substitute for Proper Lubrication

MKossor

Post by MKossor » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:46 pm

Let your feelings be known to those who set the Rules.

https://mtfca.com/clubpages/contacts.htm

NOTHING will change otherwise!

Erik Johnson
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Johnson

Post by Erik Johnson » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:53 pm

The only new section I would like to see in the forum is a separate section in the classifieds for "Wanted."

critterpainter
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Dodd
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 T Touring
MTFCA Number: 27186
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by critterpainter » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:05 pm

If we don't allow developers to share their ideas and designs here if they are willing before they proceed into production then there could be two different outcomes.
!. a really good and well thought out project may get scrapped for an apparent lack of interest or
2. a product may hit the market that is flawed due to the lack of ability to get feedback in the pre-production stage and this forum will have a feeding frenzy picking it apart and questioning why members of this forum didn't have an opportunity to offer sound reasonable advice at an earlier time.
14 Touring

MKossor

Post by MKossor » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:35 pm

BINGO! - those are both excellent points that makes one ponder; who the heck is benefiting from suppressing discussion of good products that work really well and helps folks enjoy the hobby more? It sure isn't Forum members or developers who take considerable risks to make products for the Hobby.

MKossor

Post by MKossor » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:01 am

I sent all MTFCA Directors my email request to repeal the Gag Rule prohibiting Model T product developers from discussing the merits of their creations, photos, and fielding application questions on the forum; has anyone else?

Mark Nunn
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Mark Nunn » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:30 am

I agree with Mike K. If no one knows about a Model T product or service because it cannot be discussed by the creator, the Model T hobby dies. I'm relatively new to Model T world, about 1 1/2 years. I need to know what is available to me to get my car back on the road. There is no incentive in developing new and better solutions to keeping our cars going if you cannot tell anyone about it.

Here is an example. My triple gear bushings are SHOT and I need to replace them. I didn't know until this week that Dan M makes a needle bearing for the gears. I didn't get that information from Dan. He is barred from posting about them. I had to learn about them through the grapevine. What other opportunities am I missing because of forum management rules?

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:57 am

Consider the following: The "Hobby" membership has been largely populated by members having grown up with first hand "T" experience and having the appropriate skill set to fabricate parts. The list of part providers, manufacturers (like voltage regulators, castings etc) and sellers (Fun Projects, Texas T, and others) are dwindling. Seasoned or Newbie members are always looking for help in finding parts, someone who can repair/rebuild/restore what they have. Example: Who restores brass (headlamps, horns, radiator shells); rebuilds front axles, differentials; etc? If you want the "Hobby" to persist, you need to look at the past and think about what needs to be done to assist the Newbies looking to restore, build a speedster or whatever. You got to make it easy for the next generation to get the help they need, when we are no longer able to respond to the forum. Having said all this: Is it possible to have a searchable Forum Section (sort of like Angie's List) to find parts & service providers and allows members to comment and rate them? Its always possible to delete unwanted solicitations.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Dean Kiefer
First Name: Dean
Last Name: Kiefer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1926 Snowmobile, 1926 Wrecker
MTFCA Number: 16653
MTFCI Number: 15244
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Dean Kiefer » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:57 pm

I'm with Mike K, let the manufactures in and lets have less forum sections. That's my VOTE!

D Stroud
First Name: David
Last Name: Stroud
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by D Stroud » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:46 am

What Mike K. said. Dave
1925 mostly original coupe.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic