VFW Car Show

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Tom Hicks
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 32518

VFW Car Show

Post by Tom Hicks » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:04 pm

Usually I post car show stuff in OT, but so many give me crap there because they don't like car shows that I stopped posting them there. The moderators can decide if they want to move this.

At Cars and Coffee last weekend a guy from VFW told me there was a show I might want to go to at McGuire Veteran's Hospital today. So I drove Ellie Mae over and parked in the first available space. They like to keep cars spaced apart at least one parking space so people can get around. A VFW guy came over and asked why I parked there. I told him I had never been to this show before and didn't know the protocol. He said to follow him and had me park in the middle of the show parallel to the curb instead of backed in, and thanked me for coming. What a welcome!

The show was from 10:00 - 2:00, but I didn't get out of there until 2:45. It was a BLAST. I talked with so many nice people, and mostly I listened as most there were patients and sometimes their families. There were some real gear heads, and some who knew about Model T's, and they ALL knew about the Beverly HIllbillys. Everybody was friendly!

It is great to have someone come up and ask, "Where's Granny?" or something similar. That means I have succeeded. I heard that a lot.

At C&C lots of children get in to have their pictures taken holding the wheel and waving. Not many children at his show, but they did get in! And one lady who was a big fan of the BH's who decided she really wanted her picture taken in the driver's seat. She had to climb up like anyone else and for some that is a chore. It took a few minutes, but with the help of her aide she made it, had lots of pictures taken, and I wouldn't let her get out until she had blown every horn and the siren. Ellie Mae has lots of horns, electric, squeeze bulb, and hand push klaxton.

I talked to more guys, and more importantly listened to more guys talk about their old cars. It was easy to start a conversation, just ask, "So, tell me about the car you wish you had never sold..."

And there were several rounds of singing. When there were three or more of us together I would just start, "Let me tell you all a story about a man named Jed, …" they would join in, then I would shut up. Everyone knew the tune, most knew the words.

The show was over at 2:00 and I was talking with three guys, one wanted to hear Ellie Mae run. Z head, I Timer, Brent Mize coils, yes she purrs. Then I baked off the spark, she really idles down slow and even. So we were talking and laughing, one guy was a real character, and of course they all knew each other. Eventually I started loading up Granny's rocker, the straw bail, the candy I always give out, and the character guy who used a cane challenged me to a race when I left. So four of us had a race across the VA parking lot for about 100 feet. One guy in a motorized wheelchair, one walking normally, the character with the cane, and Ellie Mae in Ruckstell low and Warford underdrive. The motorized wheelchair easily won, the rest of us were close, but Ellie Mae just couldn't keep up with those guys.

The drive over and back is about 15 miles each way. Lots of smiles, thumbs up, honks, waves, "nice!", etc.

I have left out a lot here, but hopefully you get the picture. Yeah, I had a good time!
Attachments
DSC07230.JPG
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

walber
First Name: Walt
Last Name: Berdan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '18 Speedster had 25 touring and 26 coupe
MTFCA Number: 16421

Re: VFW Car Show

Post by walber » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:44 pm

Thank You for bringing some light and smiles today. It's a good thing.

Novice
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring. 1923/26 Open Express. 1920 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 49832
MTFCI Number: 24686
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Novice » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:41 am

Looks like You have four wheel disk brakes. That should send Granny's rocker flying if You haft to stop fast. Please post more pictures of Ellie mae.
Thanks for the post and remembering our Veterans.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:26 am

Now, WHY would anybody consider moving this to the OT line?! Totally model T related and wonderful.
Thank you for sharing such a fine day!

Topic author
Tom Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster

Post by Tom Hicks » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:50 pm

Novice wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:41 am
Looks like You have four wheel disk brakes. That should send Granny's rocker flying if You haft to stop fast. Please post more pictures of Ellie mae.
Thanks for the post and remembering our Veterans.
No thanks needed for me, but I thank the VFW for having this show because I had a great time and met a lot of interesting people. I highly recommend this show if you want to meet some really nice people!

I only have disc brakes on the front. I have a kit so I can put them on the back, but I haven't installed it yet because I would have to remove the Hassler shocks and I really like my Hassler shocks. I keep my speed down to 30 mph mainly because the wheels have a lot of wibble wobble. The spokes are solid and safe up to 30, but if you drive behind me you will see they do not run true. I feel safe up to 30 and the front disc brakes with the transmission brake set up to just start to pull in when the discs come in is safe at 30. I have newly respoked wheels ready to install. After I do that, which I might never do, but if I do put the respoked wheels on I will run her up to 45 and see how the braking is. Then, I might remove the Hasslers and install the rear disc brakes. I really like front disc brakes, I think that is where most braking is done.

I am a second class shade tree mechanic at best. I used to mess with '51 F1's, but got medically where I couldn't do what I needed to keep them running. So I got rid of them all. About 5 years ago I started feeling better and told my wife I was going to buy a T or A because I had heard they were easy to work on and parts were readily available. Eventually a TT came up close by on Craig's list. I didn't know an A from a T let alone a T from a TT. It was not running but thumb compression seemed good, so I paid way too much for it and found out how much I didn't know about old cars. Fortunately a local guy named Lee Crenshaw caught up with me and offered to help. Lee is one of those guys who has forgotten more than most people will ever know about T's. And he is very patient with ignorant questions. Lee's advice has always been good. Thank you Lee.

I could list a whole lot of other people and vendors who have helped me with T's, but I would invariably leave some out. Not to mention this Forum, Just google MTFCA and a few keywords and you will find some old posts. So generally you don't have to ask on this Forum, just do a google search if you have a question. (Lee told me that, right again!)

The original Beverly Hillbilly's vehicle was an Oldsmobile, someone on the Forum told me it was a '23. There is no way I would modify a really nice and rare car like that. So I used a TT frame and many parts I had collected. Basically it was a matter of getting the chassis together and running, then road safe with lights etc, then build the bed etc, then the little touches like the road kill bucket. All fun, and I feel that she is mechanically sound. I also enjoyed designing as I went along to make everything from the driver's seat comfortable to doing the wood butchery. The only thing I regret is I cut the bed a little short. It fits into the garage easier, but it limits space in the rear. But there is enough space to seat one man and seven of his small children, nieces, and nephews for a ride at C&C. The rear seat is two bales of straw end-to-end with HD outdoor cushions that were on seal. I can go on and on about all the stuff involved, but the key is I have enjoyed it, and I have not hesitated to take suggestions from others.

Ellie Mae has been fun to build all the way, I have met lots of nice people in the process. She was built for fun.

Getting to take Ellie Mae to a VFW show at McGuire VA Hospital is icing on the cake.
Attachments
DSC07253.JPG
DSC07254.JPG
DSC07255.JPG
DSC07257.JPG
DSC07258.JPG
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:52 pm

More pictures...
Attachments
DSC07247.JPG
DSC07248.JPG
DSC07249.JPG
DSC07251.JPG
DSC07250.JPG

Novice
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring. 1923/26 Open Express. 1920 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 49832
MTFCI Number: 24686
Board Member Since: 2017

Elly Mae

Post by Novice » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:06 am

TOM. THANK YOU! You make My day with the photos of Your truck. what a work of art. I know it brings a smile to the face of all who see's it. Now all You need is a Mannequin of Granny in costume sitting in the rocker with a Shot Gun. I know it was a labor of love that will keep giving joy for many years. Belongs in a Museum when it's touring days are finished. So Generations to come can enjoy it.

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Re: Elly Mae

Post by Tom Hicks » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:44 am

Novice wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:06 am
TOM. THANK YOU! You make My day with the photos of Your truck. what a work of art. I know it brings a smile to the face of all who see's it. Now all You need is a Mannequin of Granny in costume sitting in the rocker with a Shot Gun. I know it was a labor of love that will keep giving joy for many years. Belongs in a Museum when it's touring days are finished. So Generations to come can enjoy it.
Your words are kind, but it is not a labor of love. It is just fun and there is no real craftsmanship involved. It may be a little artistic, but it is not an accurate copy of the original, just the best image I can do using what is available. And it will never be finished as I will always be adding and changing things.

There are many out there who really do accurate work restoring old cars, work that I do not possess the patience and ability to do. Those are the cars that belong in museums, Ellie Mae belongs on the road or giving rides in the park!

But, I do thank you for your overly kind words.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic