Recent Hot Rod Car Show

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
nobob
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Kelly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring

Recent Hot Rod Car Show

Post by nobob » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:59 am

Being retired, recently widowed, and a little bit bored, I entered “Gwendolyn” my survivor grade, original Ford 1915 Touring, in a Custom Hot Rod car show. My goal was to just have a few people to just talk with, besides I paid my 35 dollars entry fee so I was committed. There was a 1923 Coupe on the same row that was restored 10 years ago so I wasn't alone. There were 150 cars, trucks and motorcycles.

I didn't even take the time to dust Gwendolyn off after getting her out of the barn. You know once you start you have to clean the WHOLE car. Also I don't want to disturb the oil encrusted dirt on the motor and running gear.

“Gwendolyn” has very sad upholstery with the tops of the seat backs just about all weathered away. A few scraps of feeble tan base fabric are all that is holding it together. The stuffing is sticking out, spring showing, and most of what does remains is brittle and cracked. Gwendolyn has her fair share of dents, dings and scratches. You can't live in a barn and be 104 without getting a few.

If the stars are in alignment and it's a warm day she starts after about three or four quarter primer cranks. Turn on the key, crank and BINGO, but never ever when a crowd is watching. I feel like she is out to teach me a lesson sometimes. She starts on three cylinders, once warm the lazy cylinder join in on the fun.

Most of the cars owners in the show spent more on the rims on their car than Gwendolyn is worth. But you can't put a price tag on a member of the family. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them spent more on the paint job than my house is worth. Most were dripping with chrome and very clean, with all kinds of custom tire and rims. This show attracted all kinds of eye candy, it's a University town.

I just enjoyed a day of visiting with a few people who wanted to know a little about my old car.
There's always the story about granddad backing up a hill or how Ford used the shipping crates boards in his cars. One lady told me a story repeated in her family, about her grandparents coming back from California during the dust bowl days in a model T. They had 27 flats from California to the high plains of Texas. Doing some rough math that's a flat about every 55 miles.

Well at the end Gwendolyn won a “Top 40” car award, they said because of historical preservation and age. I was very shocked.
Attachments
IMG_3506.jpg
IMG_3503.jpg
IMG_3500.jpg

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Re: Recent Hot Rod Car Show

Post by TRDxB2 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:58 am

Congratulations! And "Thank You" for showing it to the general public - that's what needs to be done to get people interested in the hobby. Frank
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

John Dow
First Name: John
Last Name: Dow
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32344
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by John Dow » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:16 am

Gwendolyn is a beauty!! My experiences are similar to yours. My "Gracie" always draws a crowd at the few fund raiser car shows we attend despite all the competing muscle, bling and loud pipes. On one such occasion we were positioned between a gorgeous '63 slit window 'Vette and a Ferrari Super America. I had gobs of interested visitors through out the show with little attention paid to my mega-buck neighbors. Toward the end of the show the Ferrari's owner got pissed and left early. The vacated space was soon occupied by spectators who gathered to watch me crank her to life, climb in and drive off.

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George House » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:46 am

Good for you Bob!! Keep showing her off and educating folks. I tried to do the same last year at a HUGE car show here at Lockhart. Took the ‘14 runabout after spending a day prepping it. Spoke to hundreds of people about Model Ts and must’ve had thousands of pics taken. But the Mustang and Chevy clubs voted on their own and I received no formal recognition. 😞
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people 🤪

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:05 pm

Robert, glad you had some fun with her. What a great part of history. My RPU lives in the barn and gets lots of dust. If I spent time cleaning it I wouldnt have time to drive it or may need stitches from rust holes. I didnt hear any negative comments about modern cars. Good on you. You went to the show for the right reasons. Awards are a bonus!

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:30 pm

I'm glad you did that Robert. And a trophy too!
Welcome to the forum!
George, like Red Skelton said so many times on the Dean Martin roasts "Never got a dinner!"
Recognition schmeckognition. You made a lot of people's day at that big show... :)
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Al Meadows
First Name: Alfred
Last Name: Meadows
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 Touring
MTFCA Number: 4796
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Al Meadows » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:58 pm

Last month the wife and I participated in our local Cruise Night. After making a pass up and back we parked alongside the street. We got plenty of exposure via foot traffic along the boulevard. Lots of interest in the T, especially young folks. Yes, no top yet but no one noticed.

Sunday we're off to San Jose for Antique Autos in History Park. Kind of a picnic with music, other cars to see and just hanging out. Put on by SCVMTFCA. Our first time there but it sounds interesting. This time I will have top bows proudly displayed but still no top. Getting close.

Al
Attachments
IMG_3742.JPG

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic