Lifter clearances

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Mountainrider
First Name: Neil
Last Name: Haywood
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 roadster

Lifter clearances

Post by Mountainrider » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:58 pm

What a slow process. Read all the post I could and decided of .015 on exhaust and intake. Took about two hours just for the exhaust. Partly my fault for not taking off the manifolds, and it was too hot in the garage this afternoon, so I took a lot of water breaks. I’ll do the intakes tomorrow night. All clearances were around .30 when I started. SS valves, three nut adjustable lifters and cam had been evened and polished up.

Topic author
Mountainrider

Re: Lifter clearances

Post by Mountainrider » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:47 pm

Got the hang of it. Decided to do the intakes tonight. All set between .012 and .15. I’ll double check tomorrow before buttoning everything up. Doing our 23 REO was a lot easier

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:07 pm

Well, you have my respect for pulling that off. I always pull the intake/exhaust off to do that job. It is time saved, and you ensure that there is no intake leak as well (because usually by the time the engine needs these adjustments, the intake gaskets are over the hill anyway unless they were the original style in good shape.

Any way...Kudos.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
Mountainrider

Post by Mountainrider » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:57 pm

Double check everything and buttoned it tonight. Two cranks prime and 3rd switch on. Started right up as usual. Definitely a lot quieter. Too late for a test ride and raining out. When I do them again manifolds are definitely coming off.

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:09 pm

I did mine with the manifolds off and the head off... :)
It gets easier the second time around, but not much !

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:19 pm

I had my lifter boss's trimmed back just enough to use a wrench on the lifter when the lifter is down. Didn't have to take too much off, you could just see the flats before but not enough to get a wrench on.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Topic author
Mountainrider

Post by Mountainrider » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:56 pm

While doing the valve clearances I decided to catch up on some routine maintenance. Checked the oil and radiator level, greased and oiled every thing, and pulled the transmission screen. All good, even the screen was clean after being filled with lint the last two times. New bands were installed earlier this year. Then I remembered the mag post. I had forgotten to check that sense I had installed the bands. Sure enough a ring on band lint was wrapped around it. Idles now on mag almost as well as on the 12volt motorcycle battery. Starts easily on mag also. Got it out for a test ride this afternoon. Definitely quieter with the tighter clearances. Seemed to have more get up a go also. Nice to be able to do some T tinkering without having to hook up a computer. 4 wrench and a screw driver and throw out the rest of the tool box. Oops. Need three just to do the lifters.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic