Not for sale just an OF to look at

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
StanHowe
First Name: Stan
Last Name: Howe
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 19133
Board Member Since: 1999

Not for sale just an OF to look at

Post by StanHowe » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:48 pm

This one showed up today. This is especially for all the guys that think making the big bucks in the carburetor business is an easy way to get rich with no work.

Got home from a little concert tour over the weekend and this was waiting to bring me back to reality. I think it may have been damp a time or two and got a little surface rust on the steel parts.
2019 9 23 stromberg of rusty.jpg
2019 9 23 stromberg of rusty two.jpg
2019 9 23 stromberg of rusty two.jpg (27.84 KiB) Viewed 5327 times
In reality, I kind of enjoy the ones that will take a hot wrench and a little hammer work to get ready to go back together. I have all new steel parts for these so once I get it apart it's not that big a deal to rebuild it. But I'd have to say this kind of thing is why I can't get as much done some days as I'd like.

Spent all day today working on a Rayfield that is made from unobtainium. Ruin a part on it taking it apart and you can spend your life looking for a parts carb for it.

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Re: Not for sale just an OF to look at

Post by Dallas Landers » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:57 pm

How come the car can have an original weathered look but not the carb? :D

Topic author
StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:01 pm

This is beyond "weathered." Plus, nobody ever tells the people looking that he told the rebuilder to do it as cheap as possible and not to worry about how it looks when he gets it back. So if you send them a scummy looking one that is only rebuilt internally, the people looking at it think you didn't do much of a job on it and they would never send you one for their rig. Make sense? Does to me.

Take a look at the steel parts on this one. There is no rebuilding them.

Generally speaking, most T's leak enough oil that the carb will look "weathered" before long no matter how shiny it starts out.

rnkugel
First Name: Reuben
Last Name: Kugel
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring 1926 RAJO Speedster
MTFCA Number: 49871
MTFCI Number: 24323

Post by rnkugel » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:42 pm

Stan-
My Rayfield still looks great after a few years. Thanks
Attachments
IMG_2035.JPG
1915 Touring
1926 RAJO Speedster

R.V.Anderson
First Name: R.V.
Last Name: Anderson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914, 1920, 1923, 1923

Post by R.V.Anderson » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:16 pm

Reminds me of a coil I once had sent to me to rebuild from a guy in Brazil. At least I think it was a coil. It came in a Ziplock bag containing some tar, a few wires, some hardware, some partial wood panels, and about 2 cups of dust. Termites had almost completely devoured the wood.

Doug Keppler
First Name: Douglas
Last Name: Keppler
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 49716
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Doug Keppler » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:39 pm

Stan how much would you sell a rebuilt OF for if you had one to sell?
1924 Touring car
There's No Substitute for Proper Lubrication

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:46 pm

Extreme restoration began even while Model Ts were being manufactured. Maybe you have run across this "period correct" story:

A farmer was replacing a tin roof on an old shed and wondered what to do with the metal he'd taken off the shed. A neighbor suggested he should crate it up and send it to the Ford factory. The farmer did so, and a week or so later received this letter from the factory:

"Dear Sir,
Your car was the worst wreck we have seen to date, but repairs will be completed and it will be ready for you to pick up at the factory next Friday morning. "

:lol:
"Get a horse !"

otrcman
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Fischer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring

Post by otrcman » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:00 pm

Stan,

Are you sure that carb didn't come off a boat motor ? Maybe one that sunk years ago and was recently raised ?

Dick

Topic author
StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:38 pm

I almost always have OFs in stock.
I just bought several with the pile of carbs I bought.
Same price for years.
$650 + $20 shipping.
However, I don't have any done and ready so you are looking at several weeks for delivery.
I'm still digging out from under the pile that stacked up when I was not able to work much last year.
I'm feeling much better and working every day.

Topic author
StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:19 pm

Reuben, those are just great carbs. The rank up there with U & J, Zenith S4BF and a couple others as my favorite trouble free carbs. I just sent one to Switzerland a few weeks ago and have two in the queue. I love em.

I took the liberty of setting your picture upright.
2019 9 25 kugel rayfield.JPG
2019 9 25 kugel rayfield.JPG (49.45 KiB) Viewed 4714 times
I think there are about 50 Stromberg OF"s for every one of the Rayfields. I like your brass inlet tube, too. Zoom Zoom

Back to the shop. Always, back to the shop!!

Thanks for the picture of it mounted on your Rajo!!

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:45 pm

Dallas's tongue in cheek question and Stan's response reminded me of my own thoughts and understand both sides.
There's an OT big (to me) Stromberg M-3 in Stan's queue (his shelf) that he knows I'm not ready for quite yet. :)
I had thought the same thing when I ordered it. It should look like the rest of the cruddy, rusty OT, I thought.
Stan's good about details on the throttles and chokes and knows them.
A little time passed and I had the revelation: I'm spending good money on this carb to have it correctly done in the style it should be.
I want a bright, beautiful, big brass carb hanging off a rusty manifold, perhaps to quietly brag to myself
(i do not like to brag outwardly) that I too can now have a Howe carb on my Old Twin City Tractor! Feels good. :)
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Topic author
StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:42 pm

I'm working toward it, along with some others but the shelf is looking better and I'm in less panic mode than I was earlier this summer. I haven't taken in hardly any rebuild work since March 1st, so it's about 6 months and I'm gaining on the pile.

Here is where today went. Started the morning as a nasty, rusty crusty junk Stomberg OX-2 for a 27 Chrysler, the reason I have time to type this is because the new choke housing and levers are cooking in the powder coat oven and my feet hurt. About 10 hours standing on the concrete today. This is the 3rd one of these I tore down to get parts enough to make one good one out of it + I had a NOS economiser needle. I have enough parts left to do another one, though. Just took the good parts and put them on this one.

Off to New York tomorrow, engine is rebuilt, back in the car and ready to run except for the carb.

Along with this today I worked on an MV-2 Rayfield for a 1919 Auburn, it is ready to go back together and go in a box. They are a side draft air valve carb and a real pia to work on.

I also took apart an interesting air valve type early carb that was with the big pile of stuff I bought. No name on it, I don't recognize it but well made and may be NOS. Hard to tell under a 100+ years of dirt and grease mixed together. Also bead blasted three Stromberg OF's, have them in the Ultrasonic secret soup I soak them up in before the second trip to the bead blast cabinet.

17 minutes, the powder coating should be set and I can go put the choke housing on. Only 9:39 PM, hour to go.
2019 9 26 OX-2.jpg
2019 9 26 OX-2.jpg (36.09 KiB) Viewed 4528 times

Topic author
StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:45 pm

I dunno about test runs on these tomorrow. We are supposed to have close to a foot of snow and 30 mile winds tomorrow. Autumn in Montana.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic