Carburetor leak

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Alagrow
First Name: AUSTIN
Last Name: LAGROW
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2017

Carburetor leak

Post by Alagrow » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:29 am

My carburetor doesn’t leak while the engine is running, but when it stops it’ll start leaking about 30 minutes to an hour later. I turn the valve off at the tank every time, but whatever is in it will leak and really smell the garage and house up. Any ideas on how to fix this? I believe it’s a Kingston carburetor (26 coupe) are there any rebuild kits for this or what would I need? Thank you.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Re: Carburetor leak

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:50 am

It seems you have two leaks. The leaking valve at the tank sends fuel to the carburetor, which also leaks. For the leak at the tank, go to Google and enter MTFCA: sediment bulb valve leak. That should find some previous posts where people tell how they fixed that leak. The carburetor leak is probably at the float valve. If you replace it, use the original style, not the grose jet. Some of the new needles have a rough surface that doesn't seat well. You have to put them in a lathe or a drill and run the tip against a hone and emery paper to smooth them. Some people use the rubber tip needles and have no trouble with them, but I've had them stick so I use the original style. Find the data plate on your carb so you know what model it is. You don't want to buy the wrong parts.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
Alagrow
First Name: AUSTIN
Last Name: LAGROW
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Alagrow » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:59 am

Thanks for the reply. I think I need to clarify. It leaks after 30 minutes or so but it doesn’t leak for very long. Maybe an hour and then it stops. It’s a brand new sediment bulb and the tank can sit there with the valve shut off and not empty. I’ll try the float needle

Hal
First Name: Hal
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '22 TT Stake Bed, '18 Touring (Hers)
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Hal » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:18 pm

You might consider turning the gas off then running the car for a minute or two to burn the gas in the line and carburetor bowl. If your sediment bowl valve is indeed shutting everything off, that should solve your problem until the next time.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic