Limit use of Sticky Topic Icon

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Limit use of Sticky Topic Icon

Post by jiminbartow » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:31 pm

There have been several sticky topics that have remained at the top of the forum for several weeks that I do not believe are important enough to remain there. In my opinion, they could have been posted with normal icons down with all the other posts. Is there a time limit for sticky posts to remain posted? I assume that any one of us can use the sticky topic icon that will ensure our post remains above all others for an indeterminant time while all other posts are not able to proceed above them. If everyone used the sticky topic icon, sticky topics would eventually fill the pages with topics that remain above all other posts forcing members to scroll down until we find the most recent non sticky topic.

I propose that the sticky topic icon either be removed or only be used by Admin personnel for posts and policy announcements that are deemed important enough to remain at the top above all other posts and then be removed after one week in order to allow regular posts to proceed to the top. Just a thought. Jim Patrick

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Re: Limit use of Sticky Topic Icon

Post by Allan » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:00 pm

I haven't got around to using the advice given in the stickies yet. Just getting organised to be able to read and post has been enough for now. I am still working on posting photos, with no success as yet. Once that is accomplished, I may need the sticky posts, and would appreciate them being right at the top so I don't have to learn how to search the forum for them.

Allan from down under.

John.Zibell
First Name: John
Last Name: Zibell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 30265
MTFCI Number: 24046

Post by John.Zibell » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:49 pm

4 sticky posts aren't bad. Also they are good for reference for folks just joining or getting up to speed. On a forum where I'm a moderator one of the sections (yes it is that big) has sticky topics for most of the first page.
1926 Tudor

AdminJeff
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Stevenson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50006
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by AdminJeff » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:17 pm

jiminbartow wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:31 pm
I propose that the sticky topic icon either be removed or only be used by Admin personnel for posts and policy announcements that are deemed important enough to remain at the top above all other posts and then be removed after one week in order to allow regular posts to proceed to the top. Just a thought. Jim Patrick
Noted. I usually use sticky notices with a timeout of 3-5 days. Announcements I depreciate once they are no longer relevant. We're looking at a minor reorg of the topics, perhaps a dedicated Support Forum where folks (even guests can post if you cant log in) can ask for help and it keeps the clutter off the main Forum. Possibly even a dedicated OT (Off Topic) Forum.

Kinda like this:
Greenshot 2019-01-24 19.13.37.png
thoughts?

Jeff
Assistant WebSite Admin
1921 Model T Touring, 1930 Model A Roadster
Voltage Regulators, Starter & Generator Repair
www.modeltregulators.com
www.modeltstarters.com

babychadwick
First Name: Chad
Last Name: Azevedo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Boattail speedster, 1912 Tourabout project, 1927 Speedster (build)
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by babychadwick » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:15 am

In my opinion there should be a few topics that should be sticky.
1. Forum rules if not found elsewhere
2. Right hand vs left hand cranking
3. 12 volt vs 6 volt
4. Timer vs Distributor
Im sure you see where this is going, there are a few topics that seem to always come up for debate so why not sticky those topics?
"Those who fail to plan, plan to fail"

david_dewey
First Name: David
Last Name: Dewey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1925 runaboaut, 1926 Tudor
MTFCI Number: 19936
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by david_dewey » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:52 am

Please don't break up the forum into separate subjects (newcomer, OT, etc.); it is much simpler to just look in one place and read whatever comes to fancy my mind at the moment. We talked about this on the old forum, and as I recalled most of us said, "It ain't broke, don't fix it!"
T'ake care,
David Dewey

fliverfan
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Chuplis

Post by fliverfan » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 am

It's always been my understanding that what constitutes a sticky, its access and its content are strictly administration decisions and are to be used as they see fit.

But why would Stickys be any more or as distracting than the sheer volume of OT threads fighting for places at the top of the Board? Oh, never mind, I forgot. Too many people here are terrified of a tool box with more than four drawers. :)

jab35
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by jab35 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:13 am

David Dewey said it best. His commentary reflects what Chris B told us all in Hershey last Oct. I appreciate the work Chris and others at MTFCA do to support the Forum. jb

AdminJeff

Post by AdminJeff » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:53 am

Ok, ok. We get it. Take a look now.
Assistant WebSite Admin
www.modeltregulators.com
www.modeltstarters.com

JWalters
First Name: Jason
Last Name: Walters
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Touring
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by JWalters » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:29 am

AdminJeff wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:17 pm
We're looking at a minor reorg of the topics, perhaps a dedicated Support Forum where folks (even guests can post if you cant log in) can ask for help and it keeps the clutter off the main Forum. Possibly even a dedicated OT (Off Topic) Forum.
thoughts?
Jeff
Thank you Jeff for all the work you are doing for the forum. I think more organization to the forum as you suggest is a great idea! A dedicated (Support Forum) an OT (Off Topic) Forum and even an (Old Photo) Forum would be great! I think having the technical questions and general Model T discussion separated from other topics will help the forum grow. A small percent of the current 1,400+ registered users participate on the forum. With a little organization I think more would join in.

varmint
First Name: Vernon
Last Name: Worley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: October 26, 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 49462

Post by varmint » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:30 am

Beautiful, job well done.
Vern (Vieux Carre)

AdminJeff

Post by AdminJeff » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:44 am

Thank you Jeff for all the work you are doing for the forum. I think more organization to the forum as you suggest is a great idea! A dedicated (Support Forum) an OT (Off Topic) Forum and even an (Old Photo) Forum would be great! I think having the technical questions and general Model T discussion separated from other topics will help the forum grow. A small percent of the current 1,400+ registered users participate on the forum. With a little organization I think more would join in.
I totally agree and fortunately, I have firsthand experience that can attest to these assumptions. This isn't my first rodeo as most can probably tell. I ran another car club forum many years with well over 1000 users and as soon as we did a little organizing of the forums (we were using Yahoo groups before I put in phpBB), users came out of the woodwork and started participating. In droves. There will always be those who don't want change, however, since one of the stated goals of this club as well as all the local regions is more participation, then we have to try a few new things. Not go crazy, just test some new ideas. It's what I do as a successful CEO, and when things work, we pour gas on those ideas. When they don't, we kill them. Quickly.

I'm willing to try anything within reason that will generate more interest to attract more users to participate by interacting more and asking more questions here. Hopefully my in-depth tutorials and FAQ's will help those who might be a little unsure of how to do something.

Jeff
Assistant WebSite Admin
www.modeltregulators.com
www.modeltstarters.com

Topic author
jiminbartow
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:59 pm

Thank you Jeff. That is much better! My intention was not to stir the pot or complain. I was simply concerned that when folks realize that thir posts can remain at the top indefinitely by using the sticky topic icon, I could envision a scenario, whereby every post, no matter what the subject was, could conceivably use the sticky topic icon, thus pushing every other topic to the bottom. I just didn't relish the thought of having to scroll down through the pages reviewing the newly posted sticky topics, while looking for the newly posted topics. In my opinion, the way you did it addresses the problem perfectly. Thanks again Jeff, for listening :D . Jim Patrick

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic