26 Ignition switch

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Eck
First Name: William
Last Name: Sheppard
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Roadster pickup
MTFCI Number: 24498

26 Ignition switch

Post by Eck » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:15 pm

Think may have an ignition switch problem causing my mag problem. If I have the switch out of the system , is there a ez test to see if this is my problem. Truck runs pretty good on battery. Thanks for any help/ Eck

Dave Young
First Name: David
Last Name: Young
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Touring, 26 RPU, 24 Coupe, 26 Speedster, 28 Chandler, 29 Chandler, 29 A

Re: 26 Ignition switch

Post by Dave Young » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:30 pm

If you're suspecting an intermittent problem in your switch, it's pretty easy to wire up a 3 position toggle switch on your steering column and run it that way for a while to see if the issue disappears. The switch would be termed " On-Off-On". The center lug gets wired to the coil box, and each outer lug would go one to the mag post and the other to a battery source.

Topic author
Eck
First Name: William
Last Name: Sheppard
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Roadster pickup
MTFCI Number: 24498

Post by Eck » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:16 pm

Thank you very good idea. I will pick up a switch tomorrow and give it a try Thanks again Eck

AndreFordT
First Name: Andre
Last Name: Valkenaers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 ; 1922 ; 1915.
MTFCA Number: 23792
MTFCI Number: 19330

Post by AndreFordT » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:17 pm

Here is what I did in the past.
For me, there was a short in the switch. During a ride, when I canged from battery to magneto, there was DC current connected to the magneto and the magnets discharged.
At the last I run the car with only with the three way switch and that for a few years now. I disconnected the wires for the ignition from the original switch and connected it all to the three way switch. no problem since than.

Good luck

Andre
Belgium
Attachments
DSCN365002.JPG
DSCN364902.JPG

Larry LaPatka
First Name: Larry
Last Name: LaPatka
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Pie Wagon, 13 Depot Hack,14 Bell Telephone Service Truck, 14 Delivery "C" Cab, 30 Model A Closed Cab
MTFCA Number: 25903

Post by Larry LaPatka » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:52 am

William,
Having wasted a week or two after rewiring a truck and pulling what hair I have left out, the only thing that I
didn't check was the switch like you have. Low and behold it was the switch that was causing all the problem.
I was told that Mr. Ben Martin in Georgia was the absolute best at reworking the entire switch to better that
new. Made contact with him, sent the pin back switch and face plate to him for an overhaul. Just received it
back the other day. It is absolutely beautiful inside and out. He had the faceplate powder coated to perfection.
Installed it and all the problems are gone. He truly is a craftsman that of which is so very rare today and a true
gentlemen too. Have him go through your switch to eliminate any present or future chances. If you need his
phone number it should be in the suppliers section or just shoot me an email and I'll respond with it.
Regards
Larry LaPatka
Parrottsville, Tennessee
email: ltlapatka@gmail.com

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic