Caulking Recommendition

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
dunoon
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 coupe

Caulking Recommendition

Post by dunoon » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:08 pm

Earlier in the year I asked a question about applying sealant before I installed my top bows on a 26 coupe, Bob Booth answered and recommended a sealant made by Locktite but, I can't remember what it was and can't find the old message. If anyone would know wha to use let me know I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Caulking Recommendition

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:25 pm

Is this the thread you are looking for?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5686&p=43028#p43028

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Re: Caulking Recommendition

Post by Adam » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:44 am

On a ‘26-‘27 “all steel body” (coupe or tudor); Use urethane caulk under the wood (wood to body, inside the “L” channel that holds the top wood). You want to seal the wood to the body so your headliner and panels don’t get wet in the rain or while washing the car. This is the same urethane that you would use to put a modern windshield in. I use 3M Super Fast Urethane. It’s just under $20 for a calking tube. You really don’t want to use anything else because most sealers are corrosive and will affect your sheet metal or paint after a long period of time. What I’ve seen on original top wood looks like window glazing putty.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic