Need Some Advice

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Mark Osterman
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Osterman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 runabout

Need Some Advice

Post by Mark Osterman » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:43 pm

I bought a new set of springs from Langs that seem to be made by Snyders. Have ordered the seat upholstery kit from Classtique. So here’s the thing. I’m looking at these new cushion springs that are made on an aluminum framework. They already look kinda twisted and bent right out of the box and they are definitely not as well built as the original steel framed seat springs. Will they conform to look better after the upholstery is stretched over them? Is this everyones experience with these new spring sets?

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Re: Need Some Advice

Post by DHort » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:01 pm

Mine turned out fine. The upholsterer added extra padding . You should have enough fabric on the sides. Classtigue hog ties the sides to the frame. Mine has a cording all around the edge so it is tied underneath. No hog ties.

Topic author
Mark Osterman
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Osterman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 runabout

Post by Mark Osterman » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:12 pm

Actually Mike at Classtique gave me the option of either hog rings or channel mounting. Since this new spring have the aluminum channels I’ll be getting the kit for that application. I was worried because the bottom springs look like you could bend them in half. I guess once they lay in the steel seat frame of the car there is no place for them to bend.

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:20 am

Once again I'm mystified by a repro part that is not made to original spec. Why ?!? How much more would it cost to do it right ? Spring frames will bend even when they're steel. Aluminum sounds like sure failure sooner than later.
"Get a horse !"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic