No high gear after changing bands and cams.

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
ivaldes1
First Name: Ignacio
Last Name: Valdes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50406
Board Member Since: 2016

No high gear after changing bands and cams.

Post by ivaldes1 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:03 am

Hi,

I changed out the bands for Kevlar and replaced the cams and slow speed notch with new ones. I had to take the hogshead off. The car moves in 1st gear but I've somehow lost high gear. What could be wrong?

-- IV
Attachments
IMG_0199.jpg
IMG_0200.jpg
IMG_0201.jpg

AZTerry
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Loftus
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 7379
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Re: No high gear after changing bands and cams.

Post by AZTerry » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:49 am

Hello Ignacio,

Looking at your photos I can not tell you what is wrong. I am going to make some assumptions and try to help you understand how the transmission works and to trouble shoot the problem.

I believe the transmission was working correctly before you removed the hogs head.

Based on this current post it implies that low and reverse are working correctly, and that is significant information. What that means is power is being transferred form the engine/flywheel through the triple gears, to the brake drum, and to the output shaft. In these modes the clutch must be released. It is also is a good indication that the rivets that attach the clutch cover plate to the output shaft are not sheared.

To go into high gear the clutch must be engaged. In this mode power is transferred from the transmission main shaft to the clutch drum. Then through the clutch discs to the brake drum and then to the output shaft. The clutch collar which is controlled by the clutch shaft which is activated by the low pedal (and hand brake) is what determines whether the clutch is engaged or disengaged. Now there are three fingers on the clutch cover. For the clutch to be engaged those three finger must not have any pressure on them, you should be able to wiggle them freely.

Now what baffles me is that it appears your car used to go into high and now it does not. From your photos one photo appears to show that one clutch finger I can see does appear to have the clearance. I can not tell about the others. Please check all three.

I hope this information help you solve your problem.

Terry

Topic author
ivaldes1

Post by ivaldes1 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:51 am

I found this article: https://modeltfordfix.com/adjusting-the ... nd-clutch/

I put in a new slow speed connection yoke since my old one was worn out. Per the article it has to have 1/16th play. I shortened it and will retry tomorrow. I hope I don't have to take the whole thing apart again.

-- IV

George N Lake Ozark
First Name: George P
Last Name: Clipner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '26 Touring
MTFCI Number: 18665

Post by George N Lake Ozark » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:53 am

Did you readjust the high speed adjustment bolt ??

Joe Reid
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Reid
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Coupe, 1920 Roadster, 1923 Touring, 1924 Roadster, 1913 Racer
MTFCA Number: 52067
MTFCI Number: 22088
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Joe Reid » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:20 am

Is your clutch fork engaged on the collar or is it behind it?

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:42 am

Here is a pic from the Ford service manual when installing the transmission cover. The clutch fork can get misplaced when wrestling on the cover. Been there and done that.
Attachments
D166E3E5-7BB8-4092-A817-BC0820877C99.jpeg

Topic author
ivaldes1

Post by ivaldes1 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:47 pm

I tested it after tightening up the yoke so it had give in the clutch lever. Thankfully high-gear came back. However, when my foot goes off the slow speed pedal it doesn't fully engage high gear unless I pull the pedal back towards me with my foot slightly. It seems like I need to lengthen the yoke a bit? Or tighten the yoke a bit?

Hogshead seeps oil at the lowest end of the inspection hatch. The hogshead casting is rough under the gasket. Should I metal file it down for a better seal on the inspection hatch to lessen the leak? Also the magneto wire connection post seeps oil. I Permatex-ed the base. Any suggestions on sealing it up?

-- IV

erkbrn
First Name: Eric
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 50994
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by erkbrn » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:28 pm

I just replaced my bands as well, and have noticed the problem with the pedal not wanting to return on its own when trying to go into high gear. However, this problem only appeared after driving around for a little bit. I assume this just means the bands are settling in and the low band needs to be tightened another turn or two (I have read somewhere else on here that this can be the case). Yours looks pretty tight already in the picture, so I'm not sure the same reason applies. I'll check the yoke on mine to see if it's going over center and causing the problem.

Is the gasket on the inspection hatch new? Do you have an oil strainer? I usually put a thin smear of grease on the inspection hatch mating surface and that helps with the leaking at the bottom. If the magneto post is leaking, make sure it is tightened all the way; it is spring loaded so it has a fair bit of resistance to tightening once you get screwed in most of the way. I made the mistake once of thinking it was tight enough and oil quickly poured out once the engine was started. Tightening all the way stopped it from leaking completely. If it still leaks, you might need a new gasket for it.

Joe Reid
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Reid
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Coupe, 1920 Roadster, 1923 Touring, 1924 Roadster, 1913 Racer
MTFCA Number: 52067
MTFCI Number: 22088
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Joe Reid » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:33 am

Sounds like you might need to replace the spring.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic