Door jamb and door to body gap?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
ivaldes1
First Name: Ignacio
Last Name: Valdes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50406
Board Member Since: 2016

Door jamb and door to body gap?

Post by ivaldes1 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:32 pm

See picture from above 22 touring rear door closed at the latch. What should the gap be on a door? Mine seems to be excessive. Why would it be wide like that?

See picture below outside facing in, is the big notch in the rear door jamb of a 22 touring body normal?
Attachments
IMG_0252.jpg
IMG_0251 (1).jpg

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Door jamb and door to body gap?

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:09 am

I do like the outside door handles!
Yes, that is a bit excessive. Probably due to some issues with the wood, or possibly frame sagging. I am imagining that at this time you do not wish to do a total restoration.
However, you really need to assess the conditions and try to determine just where the problem is. There is likely a simple "adjustment" that may help quite a bit, and give you several years of good touring and enjoyment. Often, adjusting and/or shimming of the individual body bolts can push the back of the body up slightly and in turn push the rear tub forward enough to make the door close much better.
Of course, the only real or right fix is a full restoration. But maybe you would prefer to drive and enjoy the car for a few years first. No real harm in that. I have known many people to do that.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic