Rear axle work table, fixtures and tooling.

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Pep C Strebeck
First Name: Joseph
Last Name: M
MTFCA Number: 0

Rear axle work table, fixtures and tooling.

Post by Pep C Strebeck » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:09 am

I think that I now have almost everything I need to make overhauling the rear axle a lot easier and less of a physical struggle (87 years old come April) than any other axle that I had done in the past. I always wanted a KRW axle stand and have had more than one opportunity/chance to buy one over the last 50+ years, but space has always been an overriding and determining factor. I have never had, and still don’t have 25 to 30 square feet that I could/can dedicate to a single job specific tool. I will say that this is what I came up with, but for the most part and being honest, it was my son. He took everything that I barked or complained about when doing a rear axle and made and outfit this compact little work table.
IMG_6634_2.JPG
IMG_6638_2.JPG
The table top measures 42” x 21” and it is a comfortable 40” working height. The top is 5/8” thick and has been Blanchard ground. The frame/legs are all 2” square thick wall steel and it sets atop ball bearing casters. There is a mix of original tooling and modern and a great set of fixtures to hold and manipulate the axle and its component parts for whatever operation needs to be performed.
IMG_6635_2.JPG
It also comes with a set of frame stands and a cradle for the hydraulic jack to lift the axle. The jack also has it’s own “extra” support for the front of the torque tube. This would be the only Model T part that was harmed in making what you see (it had 4 holes drilled in the base).
IMG_6637_2.JPG
IMG_6652_2.JPG
All-in-all, it is a nice compact set-up that is solid and stable, yet easy enough to move around, even with the axle on the table. After you are done using it for rear axle work it can be used as a solid work table or workbench or move out of the way. It does need a small tweak or two, but nothing major. For it's first trial run it worked extremely well and made the job easier than I ever remember. That 3 hour and 28 minute time for an axle overhaul in the Ford Manual may be in reach. I will post some other photos of it in use.
"Remember son, there are two ways to do this: The right way, and your way” Thanks Dad, I love you too.

LOOKING FOR A LUFKIN No. 9A Height Gage Attachment.

Topic author
Pep C Strebeck

Re: Rear axle work table, fixtures and tooling.

Post by Pep C Strebeck » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:19 am

Here are some photos of it in use.
IMG_6530_2_2.JPG
IMG_6531_2.JPG
IMG_6536_2.JPG
IMG_6540_2.JPG
Attachments
IMG_6541_2.JPG
"Remember son, there are two ways to do this: The right way, and your way” Thanks Dad, I love you too.

Topic author
Pep C Strebeck

Post by Pep C Strebeck » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:29 am

A couple more.
IMG_6544_2_2.JPG
IMG_6545_2.JPG
IMG_6546_2.JPG

This next one made cleaning and de-greasing the differential and inside the axle housing a lot easier and cleaner than anything that I had done before. An old, "worn-out" hub with a crank handle add to it and then just fill the differential with your solvent of choice. I used the carburetor cleaner in the 1 gallon can and it cleaned out pretty well. All you have to do is have the catch pan underneath the axle and then turn it over and pour out right where you want it.
IMG_6548_2.JPG

Tom VanMeeteren
First Name: Tom
Last Name: VanMeeteren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 touring 1923 touring

Post by Tom VanMeeteren » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:29 am

Neat tooling and great photos

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:15 am

I love the little trailer to carry the torque tube. Great idea.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
Pep C Strebeck

Post by Pep C Strebeck » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:56 am

And a couple more.
IMG_6657_2_2.JPG
IMG_6658_2.JPG
IMG_6659_2.JPG
IMG_6662_2.JPG

Please forgive the "modern" wing nuts and spacers on the Stevens tool, the originals have not come back from the plater yet. The spacer that fits over the end of the drive shaft and the tool I had made, and they were copied from originals. While they do "work", they do not work well; no fault of the machine work, they are just too short and should be designed a bit differently. I am going to have some different ones made that are longer and a bit different (more solid). The only problem with this tool is that it wants to spin on the drive shaft as you tighten it up. Also, you need to remove the handle and use a wrench on the end, that 5/16" straight rod handle won't cut it.

Topic author
Pep C Strebeck

Post by Pep C Strebeck » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:08 am

Steve Jelf wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:15 am
I love the little trailer to carry the torque tube. Great idea.

Thank you. That is something that got "modified" before the axle was put back in, it just needed a bit more height/reach. It is a nice solid connection to the jack and does not wander around when you go to pull it out or move the axle assembly around in general. It made putting the axle back in and lining up the u-joint an easy job.

IMG_6639_2.JPG
IMG_6713_2.JPG

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:41 am

Joseph

I very much enjoyed looking over your tools and tooling, as well as reading about some of your techniques. Your tooling design is very good and well executed...lovely welding work!

We would all benefit from your sharing more and more often on the Forum. Thank you for this look into your creative mind.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

ABoer
First Name: Anthonie
Last Name: Boer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 touring 1923 roadster 1925 pickup
MTFCA Number: 19790

Post by ABoer » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:33 pm

Here some pictures of how I do it .
Attachments
IMGP0338.JPG
IMGP0337 (Medium).JPG
IMGP0335.JPG
IMGP0334.JPG

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:36 pm

Joseph, thank you for posting. It's a pleasure to see everything orderly, with proper tools, and so well thought out. Such a contrast ! Inspires me to try to follow your example, rather than my usual "down on hands and knees, in the mud, and the blood and the grease !" Thank you for posting.

Here's what not to do:
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
"Get a horse !"

Steve Jelf
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:10 pm

And then there's the cheapskate method:
IMG_4162 copy.JPG
IMG_0537 copy.JPG
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

RajoRacer
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:15 pm

I utilized an old metal milk bottle basket, a couple pieces of nesting tubing & a piece of all thread to adjust the torque tube height - works O.K.
Attachments
rear end set-up.JPG

Topic author
Pep C Strebeck

Post by Pep C Strebeck » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:02 pm

Rich Bingham wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:36 pm
my usual "down on hands and knees, in the mud, and the blood and the grease !" Thank you for posting.
Getting down at this point is not the real problem, it's getting back up. I just physically can't do it like I did before. Forty or 50 years ago, on the ground and on the knees, dead lifting the whole axle assembly, etc., but that was a long time ago now. A couple of groups of photos have turned up missing somewhere between the camera and the computer, the set-up for removing and replacing the front drive shaft bushing and the ones for checking the backlash. If you look at the far right corner of the work table in the photo below you will see a short support (just under the zero in the license plate). That supports the front end of the torque tube when you are checking the backlash. The axle just needs to be turned in the holder and the torque tube will set across the length of the table to the support.

IMG_6588_2.JPG

If I can't "find" the photos I will mock-up some parts and re-take the photos. Rather than hammering/driving in the front drive shaft bushing, it is set up to be "pressed" in. The photo below shows part of the tooling for that, it is used with the long rod that is on the back of the work table in one of the earlier photos. The plate that mounts to the pinion end of the torque tube is an old Kent Moore bearing race driver for the bigger mid-30s' Chevrolet trucks. With the lip on it it can be used on either of the torque tube styles, flat or with the recess/lip.

IMG_6700_2.JPG
Last edited by Pep C Strebeck on Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Pep C Strebeck

Post by Pep C Strebeck » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:53 pm

Just some close-up photos of some of the tools.

IMG_6689_2.JPG

The Stevens drive shaft bushing puller works well, you just need to make sure that the back side of the bushing is "clean" and free of grease. If there is any grease, the pawls that actually grab onto the bushing to pull it out just kind of spin and slide. The link below is where I had to make a new spring for the pawls on the puller.

https://mtfca.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php? ... 7469#p7469

IMG_6694_2.JPG
IMG_6695_2.JPG

The Cantrell-Miller rear axle bearing sleeve puller works well, but if you do not have the dummy axle you will not be able to pull out the inner bearing sleeves. Scott Conger had made some excellent looking reproductions of this puller not to long ago and he also made the dummy axle to go with them. He was right in dropping the crank style handle and making his with a hex head for a wrench/socket, that will work much better with a stubborn sleeve. The link below is where I was looking for dimensions for one of the pieces for the puller. I ended up having to make a new rod/cam and pin (that actually pulls out the sleeve) for mine and they both worked well, one REALLY stubborn sleeve. For my dummy axle I used an old Model T axle with 2 grade-8 flat washers welded together and then to the bottom (2" diameter washers).

https://mtfca.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php? ... 287#p11287

Topic author
Pep C Strebeck

Post by Pep C Strebeck » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:47 pm

Just some more of the tools.

The photos below show one of the original Cantrell-Miller tools for installing the "oil retainer" into the axle housing. Not an essential or required tool by any means, but it made pushing the modern neoprene seal into the housing simple enough. In the link below there is a photo/attachment from the Automobile Trade Journal (1919) showing the original Cantrell-Miller tooling and oil retainer. If anyone has one of the Dust Cap Pullers I would very much like to see some photos. https://mtfca.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php? ... 287#p11287
IMG_6690_2.JPG
IMG_6693_2.JPG
IMG_6596_2.JPG
IMG_6599_2.JPG

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:55 pm

Poor man's rear axle work table and tools. Just doing one axle. Flipped the old bushing over to push the new one in - used a roll of cardboard between the threaded rod an new bushing to keep it somewhat center and protect the surface of the new busing. Removal tool is as described in the Ford Fix.
Attachments
Poor mans Drive-shaft-tools.jpg
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

StanHowe
First Name: Stan
Last Name: Howe
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 19133
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by StanHowe » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:36 am

Some great ideas there.
Here is one I build years ago when I was rebuilding Ruckstells. It rotates in the middle, holds the left side housing in clamps so the right side is free to install and remove the housing, etc.
Notice the winch, there was a cord to a battery mounted on the bottom rail. It also had wheels to roll it around the shop and short legs to set it down on the floor to make it more solid. Just let the air out of the tires to lower it and blow them back up to move it.

I think now it is on the iron pile at the ranch rusting away.
Ruckstell stand 1 empty.jpg
Ruckstell stand 1 empty.jpg (47.57 KiB) Viewed 5786 times
Ruckstell stand 13 loaded side view.jpg

Topic author
Pep C Strebeck

Post by Pep C Strebeck » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:42 pm

StanHowe wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:36 am
It also had wheels to roll it around the shop and short legs to set it down on the floor to make it more solid. Just let the air out of the tires to lower it and blow them back up to move it.
I think that how easy this rolls, even with a complete axle on it, is fantastic. You can easily roll it out of the way if needed and the when the brakes are applied it is solid. The best part is that once you are finished with the axle this is a solid, moveable, steel-topped bench. Here are a couple more photos of the tooling (the last ones, I promise).

The puller for the pinion gear is an old Kent-Moore ball joint puller for late 1950's Cadillacs. Not an original service tool I know, but it did work very well.
IMG_6707_2.JPG
IMG_6708_2.JPG
The spot-facer/counterbore used to face off the drive shaft front bushing I was able to buy as surplus and I ended up paying more for the pilot than I did for the 1-9/16" counterbore, $4.50.
IMG_6703_2.JPG
I will post a thread about the actual overhaul of the rear axle a bit later. I won't go into all of the details but focus mostly on the issues, problems and a couple of pleasant surprises. How often do you hear that when talking about rebuilding a rear axle, pleasant surprises.

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:58 pm

Did they ever have a tool to remove the outer axle housing cap?

Topic author
Pep C Strebeck

Post by Pep C Strebeck » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:55 am

DHort wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:58 pm
Did they ever have a tool to remove the outer axle housing cap?
Yes they did. It is shown in the photo below, the upper left item. If anyone has on I would definitely like to see some pictures of it.

imageRSBUR1UD.jpg

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic