26-27 coupe windshield frame

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
dunoon
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 coupe

26-27 coupe windshield frame

Post by dunoon » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:37 pm

I reinstalled the original windshield frame back into the body. The brackets that are riveted to the frame hit the posts that the knob for the sliders attach to and the brackets that the knob screws into is out of alignment with the sliders. There are no adjustments that I can find. Boy is this hard to explain. I'll try and take some photos, maybe it will be clearer what I'm trying to say. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks

jab35
First Name: James
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Re: 26-27 coupe windshield frame

Post by jab35 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:36 am

Richard: I assume when the windshield was removed the adjustment arms were left in place? On my '26 coupe the arms and brackets holding them to the window frame appear to be held with machine screws. Likewise, the studs on the A pillar are machine screwed to the pillar.

If nothing was removed previously, it should re-assemble reverse order of removal. I do have a difficult time envisioning how you would remove and replace the windshield without removing the slotted 'arms' that the adjustment knobs engage to open/close the windshield. There's a single bolt at the pivot of the arm and windshield bracket, pretty easy to remove and easy to reinstall.

Maybe I misinterpreted your question , let me know, my coupe is handy if you need a measurement from it, etc. Best, jb

Topic author
dunoon
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 coupe

Post by dunoon » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:06 pm

I did remove the slides and the brackets along with the windshield. I can't understand the brackets with the stud for the adjustment knobs only will on one way. So what changed?

jab35
First Name: James
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by jab35 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:20 pm

Richard: On my '26 coupe the brackets with the threaded stud that mount to the 'A' pillar are installed so the stud is below the center point between the two screws. If reversed, the stud will be above the center point and I think the stud and windshield bracket for the arm will then interfere. See it that is the case. And the arms are installed such that when the windshield is closed the long end of the 'L' shape is pointing up. Hope this helps, jb

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic