Door handle repair

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
MTFCA Number: 28924

Door handle repair

Post by John kuehn » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:53 pm

This is the passenger side door handle on my 24 Coupe. What would be the best filler or whatever to repair the handle where it’s cracking out. I’m sure others that have the closed cars have had this issue with the aging handles. The other handle is fine but this one began cracking out 2 years ago. Click on the pic and it will be in the right position!
Thanks for any advice.
Attachments
7445D3DA-1AB7-4622-8BA2-5EB3EBD00473.jpeg

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
MTFCA Number: 1219

Re: Door handle repair

Post by Rich Eagle » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:36 pm

There are better products than Bondo but that is what I use.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/59 ... 1460753674
When did I do that?

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
MTFCA Number: 50126

Post by jiminbartow » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:36 pm

I would first remove one of the ends of the handle (hopefully the cap can be easily pried off. If soldered, it may need to be heated to soften the solder) and carefully clean out the interior of the handle by soaking in lacquer thinner, taking care not to break off any of the delicate cracked brass and let dry. I would then carefully press the cracked pieces in place until the crack is closed and the surface is smooth and retains its’ original shape on its own without clamps or restraints, then wrap with extra strength duct tape to keep the brass pieces in place and to keep the joined edges of the cracks as closed as possible I would then pack the handle full of Aluminum Devcon epoxy putty part #10610 (from: www.mcmaster.com) which, when mixed to a ratio of 4 parts putty to 1 part activator and fully cured, is almost as hard as steel. After the putty is packed and still soft, I would replace the end piece which will be secured in place by the Aluminum Devcon when it cures. After it cures, the handle can be sanded with 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper, followed by 1200 grit then polished with brass polish, it should be hard to discern that it was cracked so badly. Jim Patrick

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
MTFCA Number: 50126

Post by jiminbartow » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:41 pm

Ps. It appears that one of the broken brass pieces is held in please by the cap on the short side so it would be best to remove the end cap on the long side.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic