Two man top runabout strap location question

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
NealW
First Name: Neal
Last Name: Willford
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1915 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50256

Two man top runabout strap location question

Post by NealW » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:53 pm

I'm getting ready to install the new top on my 15 runabout restoration. I want to get the strap attach fittings in the correct spot on the front and rear bows, and found this picture on the MTFCA site showing the top dimensions. I've highlighted in yellow what appears to be the dimensions to locate the strap fittings. Can anyone verify if the front 20" dimension is to the front strap?

Also, there seems to be a discrepancy on the dimensions for locating the back straps. The rear view shows 19", but the top view shows 21 7/8". Does anyone know which one is correct?

Thanks,

Neal
Attachments
top.JPG

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Re: Two man top runabout strap location question

Post by Humblej » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:04 pm

Regarding the back strap, the drawing shows 19 at the top of the strap and the 21 would be the bottom of the strap.

George Mills
First Name: George
Last Name: Mills
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Roadster, 1919 Hack, 1925 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 29497
MTFCI Number: 10032
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George Mills » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:08 pm

Putting my foot in where it doesn’t belong...your first top?

If so, word to the wise is to set the bows to the dimensions shown and temp brace everything with lath strips. Set the front maybe 3/4-1” higher. The work the pads and roof material onto the now near fixed frame. Get all done, pull the lath, that 3/4” extra bow allows you to stretch the top at the posted number.

A very nice tight roof results. I did one 15 Roadster early on where I felt measure as I went was good with loose bows. I have regretted that decision ever since...it wound up with bags here and there without enough material to get them out. Every open car since, lath now frame supports, tops come out much nicer.

Oh another thing the notes, instructions won’t tell you...only nail tacks in half way until you are absolutely, positively, absolutely sure..😉

Topic author
NealW
First Name: Neal
Last Name: Willford
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1915 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50256

Post by NealW » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:02 pm

Thanks for the information George. Yes, this is my first top. I do have some lath strips on hand to use to stabilize the bows. I'm glad that my first top installation is a runabout and not a touring car!

You mentioned that you leave the lath strips on until the pads and roof material is installed. Do you put the lath strips on the bottom side of the bows? Otherwise it seems like strips be in the way of the roof material.

George Mills
First Name: George
Last Name: Mills
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Roadster, 1919 Hack, 1925 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 29497
MTFCI Number: 10032
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George Mills » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:05 pm

Neal, yes the lath goes where the roof isn’t. I also now use something a little more substantial just inboard of the D rings to hold that back bow hard in the exact correct position.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic