OT, "All Alone,------"

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

OT, "All Alone,------"

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:36 am

"I'm so all alone" One of my many favorite era songs. I have a couple 78s of it, and if I recall correctly, one of them is sung by Al Jolson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsFGqqlJne4

For the second night in a row, after wandering in and out of here all day, I went to sign out, and found I was the one and only registered user here.
Oh well. It gave me a reason to look up youtube and listen to a wonderful old song! And then try to share it with friends.

Grady Puryear
First Name: Grady L
Last Name: Puryear

Re: OT, "All Alone,------"

Post by Grady Puryear » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:42 am

You aren't the only one that can't sleep. I have just about given upon ever sleeping right again, too many Birthdays, arthritis, neuropathy and just all of it. I got hacked Big Time yesterday afternoon, so lost my personal PC, I am using the Wife's PC as we speak. The good thing about this is that I am still alive and functioning.

George Andreasen
First Name: George
Last Name: Andreasen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 0...building from parts

Post by George Andreasen » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:48 am

I'm another "night owl". if you check my forum times, you'll find that most are around 1:00 am to 4:00 am. My doctor told me that I have insomnia, but not to lose any sleep over it........... :o

tmodeldriver
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Hester
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 touring, 27 touring, 22 TT
MTFCA Number: 26459
MTFCI Number: 20813

Post by tmodeldriver » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:28 am

I'm an old f--t. The only time I sleep is when I'm trying to stay awake. :cry:

Marv K
First Name: Marv
Last Name: Konrad
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 TT Steel Cab ("ToyBox Twoo"), '25 Coupe ("Cranky")
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Marv K » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:47 pm

-Guys- - A serious moment....
If you're having troubles of not sleeping at night, problems to fall asleep, snoring, or are falling asleep during the day, find yourself a 'sleep doctor'! Reggie White (Eagles & Packers) is in the NFL Hall-of-Fame. Even as an outstanding hearty athlete, he still died at the age of 42 from sleep apnea. (Breathing STOPS, becoming voluntary!) We may not even realize it, or just want to deny it. There are remedies and procedures to counter-act this condition. Over the past ten years, my stoppages have gone from an average of 40+ per hour, and now average less than one per hour. Being still tired and fatigued in the morning has now become an average of 7+ hours of decent sleep. BTW - It also is a factor for heart disease....
Be aware, be safe, and be alive!
"Let's Figgur it owt!" Just fix it (right), and make it work.....
Aah-OO-Gah! (and), "Happy T-ing!"

Tom Hicks
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 32518

Post by Tom Hicks » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:01 pm

I really don't have a sleep schedule. I might be up or napping at any hour. Spring, summer, fall I am often on the road in my TT at 2:00 a.m. headed for the 24 hour gym or WalMart. 15 mph is great in the early morning hours if you have a well lit TT, even on a major six lane road. Very few cars, and most of them are cops. All friendly!

The sleep disorder doc did manage to read my charts in such a manner that he could sell me a CPAP. It did no good and I know others who were sold this equipment that did not need it. I think doctors make a lot of money selling these unnecessarily, and I think they know better.

I finally ended up with a narcolepsy diagnosis, 0 to REM in less than two minutes. No therapy for it, just sleep when I am tired and go otherwise.
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

david_dewey
First Name: David
Last Name: Dewey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1925 runaboaut, 1926 Tudor
MTFCI Number: 19936
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by david_dewey » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:07 pm

I"ve been on a C-pap for at least 10 years. Back then, I worked for the City, and as the museum Curator, I was attending City Council meetings as staff. Well, I fell asleep during a meeting, and the city manager told the parks director to have me checked to see if I had a medical condition. Turns out, I did, sleep apnea--so sever that they woke me up during the testing (they monitor you while you are sleeping) to put me on a machine right away. Sad part of this story was the manager's husband passed away during the night a few years later, just before he was going in to be given a C-pap machine. She saw a problem with me, but not her own husband!
The first night I wore the machine, I told my wife; "We are the BORG, resistance is futile!" :D
T'ake care,
David Dewey

Marv K
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 TT Steel Cab ("ToyBox Twoo"), '25 Coupe ("Cranky")

Post by Marv K » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:06 pm

From the "FWIW Dept.", my doc prescribed a 'B-pap' ("Bi-lateral" pressure?) machine, which provides alternating pressures, synchronized with your normal breathing, and is much more comfortable and tolerable (for me) than the C-pap "Constant" pressure machine. Medicare will 'rent' them for you for a year, and it will be yours after that. I could not tolerate the Hospital's C-pap when I stayed for my shoulder replacement, but had to sleep sitting up. "The B-pap works for me!"
The other thing is to find the delivery method/mask that works for you. 'Eye bags and ballooned cheeks' don't have to be tolerated, either. The doc and 'at home' service identified a full-face (above the eyes, and down to include under the mouth) mask. Though I suggest to my Bride it is part of a NASA Space helmet, it will allow you to breathe if power is lost. Speak up, and let them hear your input!

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:40 pm

I believe if you're a Night Owl you're supposed to call Jazzbo Collins in the Purple Grotto, and if you're a Night Cap you talk to Herb Jepko.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
Wayne Sheldon

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:18 pm

No sleep apnea here. Just a nearly life-long issue with insomnia. I have never been one to use pharmaceuticals any more than absolutely necessary. Never smoked. Never drank. Absolutely NO interest in artificial happiness. (Must be something really wrong about me?) However, for nearly ten years now, I have had to take various sleep medications. I had to. Nearly total lack of sleep had started giving me daytime hallucinations. When you are wide awake and see a chair walking across the room, you know something is not well. I still don't sleep very well, but at least I don't see things that I know are not there.
As for doctors? Around HERE? Maybe I am crazy. Most of the medical profession around here are either incredibly incompetent, or downright corrupt. My wife has some issues, and they also involve sleeping difficulties. One of the doctors she saw a few years ago was so eager to prescribe (SELL! SELL!) a C-pap system (even though we were certain that was NOT her sleeping problem!), he screwed up the required Medicare record keeping. She got to use one on a trial basis for a few months. It did not help her sleeping at all. And when Medicare denied coverage for it (due to his error in record keeping), we sent it back. He made other serious mistakes regarding her care, and should have been sued for malpractice. However, I am not in favor of going "sue happy" (another area in modern society where corruption rules!), so we moved on to another incompetent doctor. Haven't found a good general practice "medical professional" yet in this area.

Ah, good ole Jazzbo Collins! Just reading his name, I had to youtube "Little Red Riding Hood"! (If you look for it, be careful how you phrase your search, or you may get Sam the Sham, which wouldn't be a bad thing?) Jazzbo C, another of the multitude of notable characters that gave so much entertainment joy to the world around them. Thank you Steve J for another trek down memory lane.

P S, I listened to this one,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnBiBPllLos

George Andreasen
First Name: George
Last Name: Andreasen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 0...building from parts

Post by George Andreasen » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:59 pm

Try some Melatonin, available at any good drug store in the vitamin section. It's NOT a sleep aid.......it's the natural chemical that your body produces to induce sleep. Just take one tablet a half hour before going to bed and you'll actually feel yourself relax.

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:11 pm

There seems to be an echo on the forum late at night. Some of my best thoughts come in the middle of the night. I remember waking up with a solution to a problem and running into work to get it down on paper before I forgot. 2:00 in the morning.
Time for my nap.
Rich
When did I do that?

Marv K

Post by Marv K » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:19 pm

Rich, I believe you're on the right track.
I was fortunate to attend many different seminars and training programs during my sales and management career. Will always remember being told and realizing the human brain is best utilized like a computer, and NOT when being used as a packed warehouse. I learned to keep a flashlight, pen and notepad on the night-stand. If I awoke with a prominent or pertinent thought, to write it down, and go back to sleep. Perhaps it could be as a list... (My lists might even become part of other lists..., just don't allow mania to take over!) Surprise! The thought(s) will then wait for you until the morning! You'll accomplish more, with desired results when you're able to cross something off. Want to go to sleep? Take a few moments... It is important to clear your mind, to consciously focus for the present moment what you're feeling, perhaps at your toes, one of your toes, one of your ears, even between your eyebrows. No touch, just a focused sense of different body-points while laying there. Then a few conscious deep breaths, and you may be surprised at the results.
My Bride has suggested that I fall asleep as soon as my head hits my pillow. Doubtful, but will agree it usually doesn't take long. Sometimes, we need to consciously relax, and take charge! I'm selfish enough to want the proper sleep necessary for my own health.... It is possible to train your body, AND train your mind. The greatest power we individually possess is the power to CHOOSE! Every choice has alternative choices, each alternative presenting their own consequences, whether good or bad. We still have the power to choose!

I'll get off my soap-box now.

Mindless Automaton
First Name: Kep
Last Name: Kerensky
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 23 truck, 26 bug
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by Mindless Automaton » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:53 am

I don't have any power to choose. What's freewill? Something that exists only in movies?

When i read "All alone" i heard this in my head https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F1D_X6 ... I&index=24

Topic author
Wayne Sheldon

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:06 am

Sometimes I worry about you Kep? I was not at all familiar with Saturnus, however, open minded, and always trying to learn, I did listen to it. I rarely listen to modern era musics. but I must admit, that was quite beautiful.
Be well my friend.

Moxie26
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Jablonski
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 407
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Moxie26 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:20 pm

Here's what Henry's friend Tom Edison recorded on Diamond Disc .............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrvMGH10N8A.

"All Alone" by Irving Berlin ..... composed to honor Berlin's late wife's sudden passing.

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:36 pm

1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:13 am

I too can relate. Night owl. Some of my posts here have been way late. I'm in Central Time! :)
Kep, that was phenomenal! I listen to Conjure One, Delerium, Blue Stone and the similar to calm my savage beast on my always running playlist and I must entertain some more Saturmus! Dang it. That's a playlist of yours!??? I will just let it play. Deep and dark. VERY dark.
Nope. Not for me but if you relate to it Kep? Play it. :)
I could perhaps relate somewhat but with happier tones. :-)
Tempestuous sounds kinda like Rammstein only more obtuse. ?
Wayne! You listened to that? Very cool.
I could suggest more to make a fella think but I'll not. :-) AIC's unplugged, Nutshell, written by the singer. Toast. Toast. No.
Our deep souls will tell us more about ourselves than we want to know. Yikes.
That dang C-pap machine was way too loud, the mask sucked, the tubing fell off, the merchant did NOT want to hear of my dissidence and disregarded me.
I had a little relief (sleep) but nothing profound. I snore and stop. Then snore more. Then I get up and do it all again.
The machine is in the closet. Maw sometimes heads to another room to sleep.
:)
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Topic author
Wayne Sheldon

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:27 am

I am surprised to see this has bounced back up again!
I don't recall ever hearing the Frank Sinatra version before. Good! However the Edison Diamond disc version is a bit more my speed (they ran 80 rpm if I recall correctly?). I always wanted an Edison phonograph, but never got one.

Robert J, A sad tale behind a beautiful song. Irving Berlin was one of the best of a considerable number of prolific song-writers in that era! It must have been one of the best eras for popular music. I still hear tunes from the '10s and '20s used often in commercials and television shows. To remain standards that millions of people recognize nearly a hundred years later? The music must have been good.

As well as you can, sleep well all.

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:00 am

Irving Berlin was one of the best...

Most of the great songs were written by teams. Arlen/Mercer, Rogers/Hart, the Gershwins. But Irving wrote both words and music, and the variety and quality are amazing. From Wikipedia: Many songs became popular themes and anthems, including "Alexander's Ragtime Band", "Easter Parade", "Puttin' on the Ritz", "Cheek to Cheek", "White Christmas", "Happy Holiday", "Anything You Can Do (I Can Do Better)", and "There's No Business Like Show Business". His Broadway musical and 1943 film This is the Army, with Ronald Reagan, had Kate Smith singing Berlin's "God Bless America" which was first performed in 1938.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:41 am

I have at least one record of that song, in the attic with about 1,000 78 RPM records. My old Victor Talking machine is now on display at the local museum, so I don't know when I will get it back!
I usually wake up about 3 times during the night but arthritis and neuropathy are the problem. I ache all over especially the legs. Like the morning after a 20 mile hike when I was young I don't need to hike anymore! Interestingly, I can get up and walk about 100' and feel much better, get back in bed and sleep 2 or 3 more hours. So I get about 8 hours sleep a night, but interruped several times to relieve the aching.
Norm

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:55 am

I don't have much trouble sleeping unless Joy's driving.
When did I do that?

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:36 am

Guess I'll have to check it out...
Wife's heads to AZ Sunday for 2 weeks.
Her dad's having knee surgery and she is helping him recover afterwards.
Just me and Petey the pit bull, all alone 8-)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic