Winter storage

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Brent Teltow
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Teltow
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 touring 192

Winter storage

Post by Brent Teltow » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:43 pm

I would like to keep my brass nice and shiny. Would a thin coat of vasoline do the trick? If not just plain old elbow grease. Thanks for any advice Brent

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Re: Winter storage

Post by jiminbartow » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:58 pm

Just like waterproof cosmoline is used to protect firearms, I believe Vaseline, being a very thin refined, “petroleum jelly” (waterproof grease), would protect your brass from tarnishing by protecting it from air and moisture. Take pictures now and next spring to see if it worked. I would be interested. Jim Patrick

Erik Johnson
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Johnson

Post by Erik Johnson » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:03 pm

Any quality metal polish that leaves a thin protective film (Simichrome, for example) should more than suffice.

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:14 pm

I was not aware that metal polishes left a protective residue once the white powdery film was wiped off, however, using the logic of using something that leaves a protective film, perhaps a fine paste car wax such as Meguire's might be a good protectant. At least it would be cleaner than Vaseline. Jim Patrick

Erik Johnson
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Johnson

Post by Erik Johnson » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:57 pm

Simichrome does leave a "protective film" like car wax which helps alleviate tarnishing over time, that's why I mentioned it. I occasionally use Simichrome but it is by far my dad's favorite brass, nickel and aluminum polish.

There are probably other polishes out there that also leave a protective film like Simichrome.

If you use a polish like Brasso, then you could follow it with an application of automotive carnuba wax.

Applying a thin coating of Vaseline on the nickel plating before putting the car away for long term storage was mentioned in the owners manual of my dad's 1927 Hupmobile. I'm sure if you looked at other early owners manuals and car publications, you would find similar references for putting Vaseline on nickel or brass to alleviate oxidation.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:25 pm

How about a set of light/horn covers?
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Topic author
Brent Teltow

Post by Brent Teltow » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:20 am

Thanks for the input. I have a thin car cover on it(dust cover) I will try thin coat of polish. Thanks again Brent.

Pete Ratledge
First Name: Peter
Last Name: Ratledge
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 T touring
MTFCA Number: 6356
MTFCI Number: 3534

Post by Pete Ratledge » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:48 am

Hi Trent,I use Prism Metal Polish, (www.prismpolish.com) to polish my 1911 touring's brass. I never cover the brass. My car is kept in a unheated garage over the winter. I usually put my car away right after Hershey. I may go for a few rides till it gets too cold.My brass holds well. I never cover it over the winter. The only time I cover it is when I put the car it in the trailer to go to the Model T tour down in Florida.The temperature and humidity change is very hard on brass going from Delaware to Florida. Try the PRISM, you will love it. I have tried all the Brass polishes and Prism is the best by far!!

Topic author
Brent Teltow

Post by Brent Teltow » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:02 am

Thanks Pete

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic