Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
wdado
First Name: WALTER
Last Name: ANGLEMEYER
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Touring

Post by wdado » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:16 pm

Hello everyone,

I just inherited a very neglected 1925 Touring T. I hope to make it enjoyable again. I just got the engine to run (quite rough, but running for a couple of minutes). Unfortunately the car seems to be in gear all the time.
I took off the transmission cover and tried to adjust the low gear bands, but it seemingly made no difference. Everything in the transmission looks clean, plenty of lube and no obvious issues. The bands seem to be tightened appropriately (but I am a novice, so maybe not).

Not sure where I should go from here.
Anyone in this area that I can go to for advice during my project?
Thanks for your suggestions.
Wally

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Re: Newbie

Post by CudaMan » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:50 pm

I see from your profile that you are in Indiana, perhaps one of the folks in the club that support the Model T Museum in Richmond, Indiana can help.

https://www.mtfca.com/clubpages/museum.htm

https://www.mtfca.com/clubpages/chapters.htm#in

Since you have the trans cover off, try taking a video of the inner works of the transmission (with the emergency brake lever fully forward and the engine off) while you press each of the pedals in sequence, then with your feet off the pedals, pull the emergency brake lever from full forward to fully back.

Be careful not to let anything drop into the transmission!

Post the video on Youtube (set access to public) and post a link to the video here. Folks here can then view the video and comment on whether everything appears to be moving normally. :)
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:01 pm

FWIW

None of the bands should be tight, unless you're stepping on a pedal, expecting something to happen. In fact, they should be loose, when looking through the removed door. This may well be one of your (many) problems.

There are a couple of logical traps with a Model T, where seemingly innocent repairs or parts removals turn into very serious damage because the obvious path was the wrong path.

Buy a copy of the Ford Manual and take the excellent advice from others to get help and make some new friends.

Best of luck (but stop adjusting things while you're still ahead of the game)
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:14 pm

Welcome to the affliction!
Very likely it seems to be in gear because sitting too long often causes the clutch discs to stick together. Usually, they can be broken loose without harming the car in any way. However, it is best done with the help of someone used to model Ts because you usually have to get a bit rough with them to break them free. Best to have someone that knows how rough isn't too abusive. Among the first steps is to put fresh oil in the engine, jack up the rear end and run it for several minutes. Then alternate leaving the brake/clutch lever all the way forward for a day, then all the way pulled back for a day. With the rear end SAFELY held up, you can alternate the handle position all the way forward, and part way back while the engine is running. These alternations will help to allow fresh oil to flow in between some of the clutch discs. SOMETIMES, that alone will allow the clutch to free up. Other times, the next step is to try forcing it loose pressing hard the various three pedals. This is where it is best to have help from someone that knows how hard and how long to press pedals without really hurting anything.

And pay attention to what cudaman and Scott C say!

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:56 pm

Walter, Bremen is not far away from me. 30 miles? Im no expert but willing to help if I can. The advice here on the forum is very good. Dont be overwhelmed by all the suggestion. Take one at a time and check it off the list.

Bob McDaniel
First Name: Bob
Last Name: McDaniel
MTFCA Number: 28428
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Bob McDaniel » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:05 pm

I am near Winamac right now but in Logansport most of the time. Willing to help if you want it. I am not an expert but have got a lot of T's going for people in my area and the price is right.....no charge. Might be able to get you going over the phone but in person would be better. Dallas is closer I think but its another option for you if you need a hand.
Give an old car guy a barn and he won't throw anything away.

Topic author
wdado
First Name: WALTER
Last Name: ANGLEMEYER
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Touring

Post by wdado » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:50 pm

You guys are great! I will see what I can do this weekend. I will try to post a video (not a real techie tho).
Thanks,
Wally

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic