Possibly the worst rear axle thrust washer replacement idea ever.

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Pep C Strebeck
First Name: Joseph
Last Name: M
MTFCA Number: 0

Possibly the worst rear axle thrust washer replacement idea ever.

Post by Pep C Strebeck » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:43 pm

Buying a near 100 year old rear axle is always a pig-in-a-poke kind of scenario, as most everyone knows. You never know what has or has not been done or what issues or problems await you once you tear into it. This most recent rear axle disassembly gave me what is the worst rear axle thrust washer replacement idea that I have ever seen:

IMG_6744_2_2.JPG
IMG_6748_2.JPG
IMG_6747_2.JPG

Three steel thrust plates were brazed together and then re-installed as a thrust washer on the left side (with a crumbling babbitt washer on the right). You can see in the one photo that the one steel plate washer is cracked and a sharp wrap from a chisel broke that piece free. Not surprisingly, the thrust plate retaining pins on the left side are non-existent. If the pins had not already been worn-down or damaged prior to the installation of this fix, I am sure that they did not last long afterwards. I don't believe that this was a "back-in-the-day" fix as there was plenty of rtv/silicone gasket sealer on the inside of the housing. Either way I just thought I would share a how-not-to that I found.
"Remember son, there are two ways to do this: The right way, and your way” Thanks Dad, I love you too.

LOOKING FOR A LUFKIN No. 9A Height Gage Attachment.

It's Bill
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Hoffer
MTFCA Number: 32571
MTFCI Number: 24364
Board Member Since: 2016

Re: Possibly the worst rear axle thrust washer replacement idea ever.

Post by It's Bill » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:50 pm

Hammer jockey victim. Yipes, Bill

rondupree
First Name: Ronald
Last Name: Dupree
MTFCA Number: 22940
MTFCI Number: 15830

Post by rondupree » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:52 pm

WOW!

I bought an axle several years ago at a swap meet for parts. Somebody had done the same thing...
Ron Dupree

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:02 pm

It is really sad to see this. The rear end needs just as much attention as any other part. When my Dad and I were rebuilding them, it was like only 25% of parts were able to be re-used. Just people before doing crap work to get it sold or something.

Hank

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic