Bucket seat covering

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
BuckTspecial
First Name: tyrone
Last Name: thomas
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: speedster, racer, pie wagon, coupe

Bucket seat covering

Post by BuckTspecial » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:08 pm

Does anyone here cover store bought bucket seats? Speedster seats?

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Re: Bucket seat covering

Post by Henry K. Lee » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:11 pm

What style? I am in Tennessee.

Hank

John iaccino
First Name: John
Last Name: Iaccino
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Roadster, Open Runnabout
MTFCA Number: 17802

Post by John iaccino » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:56 am

Here is a set that I did this past summer. I bring a set like these every year to Hershey. I am in New York State.
Attachments
DSC01124.JPG
DSC01123.JPG

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:17 pm

Someone on MTFCA posted this DIY they did. It has a great look! The method could be applied to any style seat. The back and front panels are put on separately. Then a piece of material with its edges folded under covers the seams were the back & front sections meet
Attachments
459E8DE5-FDEF-4B1E-ABE0-37E10AC1D2AE.jpeg
459E8DE5-FDEF-4B1E-ABE0-37E10AC1D2AE.jpeg (65.04 KiB) Viewed 2563 times
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Mark Osterman
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Osterman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 runabout

Post by Mark Osterman » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:00 pm

That was my post. I didn’t want the cookie cutter seats currently available so found this seat assembly at Hershey. From ... who knows .. a 1905 something or other. I found a leather sofa on the curb on trash day and took a knife and field stripped it of all the useful leather I could. Figuring out the panels for each seat so that it would have the correct curve was the hardest part. I made a cheap cloth mock up first. Then I cut the leather and sewed it up. Also made the spring loaded seat bottoms for that assembly. Best of all the leather was already worn so looked vintage when I was done. That was on my old speedster. It was easier than wrestling with the Classtique kit I recently got for my ‘23 runabout. I think because I was involved with every part of the design and installation.

Harry Lillo
First Name: Harry
Last Name: Lillo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedsters, racers, depot hack, coupe
MTFCA Number: 13996

Post by Harry Lillo » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:34 pm

Tyrone, perhaps a more important question is how others support the edges of the metal. I have two sets that I built a wood framework around the inside edges to support the back and properly attach the material. It ended up being about a 1 1/2 inch by two inch curved piece.With the compound curves it took a lot of wood. I have seen 1 1/2 inch by 1/4 inch steel bar heated and bent as well. It became quite rigid but needed snaps fasteners on the back to attach the material.
In my opinion, if you don't support it, you get a floppy backed seat and cannot get the material tight.
I am just about to start to make another set of seat backs for my wife's fire truck. I make patterns. cut the sheet metal and roll the edge beading into the backs.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic