Early 12v Delco Alternator repair

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
George Hand
First Name: George
Last Name: Hand
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 open express, 1920 touring, 1926 tudor-lisenced and insured, 1921tt project 1922 fendered chassis, 192x tt dootle bug 192xengine w/winch projects
MTFCA Number: 28114
MTFCI Number: 21834

Early 12v Delco Alternator repair

Post by George Hand » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:27 pm

I am looking to repair my early Texas T Delco Alternator until a new one is available. It needs a new stator and possible rectifier bridge & regulator. This is not a single wire style, and the new replacement will be, but it is unknown how long it will be backordered. I am sure the original Texas T Parts used a common Delco automotive unit to convert to the Model T. This car does not have a working flywheel magneto & has been converted to a 12 volt system. I would like to know what Delco Alternator "Family" core was used to made a repair with. Thank you George

fschrope
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Schrope
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923, 1926, 1927 TT's, 1918 cutoff touring, 1922 Coupe - original

Re: Early 12v Delco Alternator repair

Post by fschrope » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:17 am

I love that alternator. My father paid for two kids in college with his overtime at Delco Remy in 1961/62 as it was going into production.
It has to be one of the easiest things to work on there is. All the parts are interchangable. Go to NAPA or any other parts store for parts. I'm pretty sure they can get them if they don't have them in stock. Heck, I'll bet you can get them on ebay. I'll have to look.
I used to buy them from the NAPA core barrel for 50 cents. Usually all that was wrong was the bearing were out or just needed grease. As for the stators, there are several different outputs - 37, 42, 55 and a special 72 amp. I've never seen a bad rotor. Brushes? They're cheap. Diodes? I've only seen bad ones once.
When I was truckin', I ran two of these on my Freightliner. They were cheap and available. Kinda like a Model T - they didn't last forever, but they were easy to fix.
Have times changed? Check Rock Auto. I bet they have them...................or am I out of touch with the modern world?

fschrope
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923, 1926, 1927 TT's, 1918 cutoff touring, 1922 Coupe - original

Post by fschrope » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:23 am

I just checked Rock Auto and they have one for a 65 Chevy C10 42 amp for $41 outright plus shipping. That's for a Delco rebuilt.
Regulator $17 to $41 depending on manufacturer. I used the sold state ones for the big truck alternators. They lasted forever and were adjustable for output.

fschrope

Post by fschrope » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:18 am

If you haven't noticed, you've hit one of my favorite areas. I love those early Delco alternators.

To answer your final question though, I think maybe the first year or so (1962? on Cadillac and 1963 on everything else) may have used a different rear case. I do know that almost all you find will be the same except for different outputs and pulleys. They switched to the built-in regulator in 1973 - I'm pretty sure.

In my opinion, you should use the lowest output one you can get - 37A or maybe 42A. The lower the output ones will put more out at low rpm's than the 62 or 72A ones...........and a Model T sure doesn't need a lot of output.

How do you mount yours? In place of the generator or with a belt. I wouldn't gear drive one because of cooling. But, on the other hand, if everything on your T is up to snuff, the demand might be so low that heating wouldn't be a problem. I don't know. I do know I've run them wide open with all the trailer lites and such for thousands of miles with no problem. I my case, the stator windings would start to corrode before they would quit. The front bearing would need greasing fairly often also.
Regulator? With an external one, all you need is a hot wire from the ignition to the regulator and a field wire from the regulator to the "F" terminal on the back of the alternator.......and naturally, a hot wire to the battery via some route.

Like I said, I love these. I probably had or have 50 or so of them lying around someplace/everyplace. That and buckets of parts from torn down ones.

George N Lake Ozark
First Name: George P
Last Name: Clipner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '26 Touring
MTFCI Number: 18665

Post by George N Lake Ozark » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:50 pm

When my Tex T gave up I took it to a local rebuilder. Working good again.

fschrope

Post by fschrope » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:29 pm

George N Lake Ozark wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:50 pm
When my Tex T gave up I took it to a local rebuilder. Working good again.
That doesn't surprise me. They're as simple as a Model T.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic