24-27 C-cab Roof

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

24-27 C-cab Roof

Post by Humblej » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:28 am

I was at the Benson Ford Research Center last week to document the C-cab roof construction in advance of my upcoming TT restoration project. Was able to get copies of all the wood top pieces, side curtain assembly, and visor. One of the things I was interested in learning is what the actual process and materials were used on the top installation, but the drawing for the roof assembly was missing. The prevailing method today for a closed car top is a layer of drill with a layer of padding then the top material. Back in the 1970's I followed that process for my 26 coupe with the exception of adding a layer of chicken wire...not a Ford model T method, but made for a nice tight top that looks as good today as when I installed it. What do we know about Ford methods and materials for the C-cab top...was a layer of drill and padding used or did the top material go directly over the wood structure? None of the original C-cab photos I have seen show any outline of slats, or any starving horse appearance which makes me think there was drill and padding. Guesses I can make, anyone know?

JunkyJud
First Name: Justin
Last Name: H
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 TT C cab

Re: 24-27 C-cab Roof

Post by JunkyJud » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:13 pm

Below are a couple of links to previous roof discussions. Keep in mind that there are two different C cab roofs. There are also two different side curtain designs. The early low roof with square window curtains are the minority.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50 ... 1440591089
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50 ... 1438612852

My high roof C cab had minimal remnants of the original covering that consisted of burlap and the typical oil cloth. There were no signs of padding but with so little left I couldn't say for sure if there was padding or not. On my top I used a layer of black duck cloth followed by 1/8" of cotton with the Ford grain material on top. I also followed the original edge design where the back section was nailed and then folded over and held with tacks. The side and front used hidem welt. There seem to have been different methods when new for the top installation as some of the factory photos look to have metal side and front beads while others appear to have hidem.

The original windshield flap was also in my truck. It was made of the same material as the roof and had a layer of burlap sandwiched between the front and back oil cloth pieces. The flap is secured by tacks to the inside upper roof wood panel.
DSCN1678.JPG
Roof 16.jpg
Roof 15.jpg
Roof 13.jpg
DSCN1674.JPG
Justin in Western PA

JunkyJud

Post by JunkyJud » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:16 pm

Also, the roof does show the roof slats but it is minor as long as the roof material is tight. I expect that they showed some originally too but don't show up well in period photos. They certainly did not have thick padding. An overstuffed roof on a C cab doesn't look good.
Attachments
Roof 11.jpg
Roof 12.jpg
Justin in Western PA

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:46 pm

I have always laid one piece of natural coloured burlap/hessian over the timbers first. To reduce the imprint of the timbers a THIN sheet of padding is next. I use dacron sheeting because it hods together and is not effected if it gets wet. That comes from a shop stocking quilting supplies. it comes in various thicknesses and I use 1/4'. That is covered by the top material of your choice.

Hope this helps,
Allan from down under.

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:16 am

My box cab has a very unmolested looking top overlay that has burlap as the material
laid directly over the wood slats.

Whenever rolling a fabric covering, such as the top fabric, always do the install in hot
conditions, to make the fabric as expanded and relaxed/pliable as possible. When the
vehicle is moved to cooler environs, the top will be that much tighter. Done the other
way, when the vehicle get out into a warm situation, the top will be loose and look poorly
laid/fit.
More people are doing it today than ever before !

Topic author
Humblej
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster

Post by Humblej » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:06 am

Thanks for the responses. I have not seen some of those older threads, thanks Justin for the threads and pictures.
Still not clear what the Ford method was for installing the top with or without underlayment. Looking at my 1928 Western Auto Catalog, the closed car top kits do not list an underlayment. The closed car top kit includes top material, binding, and tacks. Individual supplies for open cars include ready made tops, top material, top quarter pads, webbing, straps, bow covering, glass and celluloid windows, hide the tack tape, tacks, fasteners, but closed car tops list only top material and top kit. No underlayment or padding. Makes me think our typical modern method top install of a base muslin, padding then top material is not what Ford did for model T's. Having seen what I believe was an original model A closed car top, underlayment including chicken wire and padding were standard practice for the later cars.
I would still like to hear from anyone who has first hand knowledge of an original C-cab roof or has seen the drawing as to what was done in the day.

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:51 am

I have my Gramps' '24 C-Cab he purchased new - I'll look inside the cab as it has all it's original wood & top material and since my Gramps' couldn't fit the TT in their garage, it sat outside it's entire career but he did have the forsight to cover the entire top assembly (cab & covered express) with sheet tin.

Topic author
Humblej

Post by Humblej » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:01 am

what are these bolts for, side curtain storage brackets?
Attachments
Inkedtt rear rail_LI.jpg

JunkyJud

Post by JunkyJud » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:39 am

They are the top, center bolt for the rear curtain brackets. The other two lower ones are wood screws.
Roof 19.jpg
Justin in Western PA

Jeepbone1
First Name: Brad
Last Name: Kirtner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring Car, 1927 Closed Cab TT, 1927 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50618
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Jeepbone1 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:01 pm

My TT is a closed cab but the process of installing the top is generally the same. I took a bunch of pictures when I did it. Here’s the link to my thread.

https://www.mtfca.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=7960

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic