License Plates

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Vrayfoster
First Name: Victor
Last Name: Foster
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring
MTFCA Number: 16395
Board Member Since: 2002

License Plates

Post by Vrayfoster » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:33 pm

Licensing a car in CA with Year Of Manufacture plates required a trip to the DMV with a set of original license plates. The state requires original front and rear plate in good condition. Once the license was issued this became a legal set of plates for on road use. In 1915, the plates were porcelain on steel. The steel was a lighter gauge in 1915 so they flexed considerably and the porcelain would crack and flake off. Thus what should be the top license plate was constantly being repaired. Everytime I load the file it inverts the image! I even tried inverting the image, but it still comes out upside down.
146320 copies.jpg
Determined to have a nice looking set of show plates, a Xerox copy of the license plate was made and the image was loaded into a computer. Several hours later using PhotoShop the center image above was printed on paper using a high end photo printer. It used a full $40 cartridge of yellow ink for one copy! Off to the metal shop to get some steel sheared to 5½” x 16”. The paper copy was glued to the steel using 3M spray on adhesive then multiple coats of clear enamel was sprayed over it. The cost for 1, $77. This is NOT legal to use on the road. It's for show only.

The paper copy was successful beyond expectations but the fonts for CAL and 1915 were not quite correct. Internet searches for the correct images were performed and copies of the correct fonts were made. Back into PhotoShop where everything was merged together. Off to a shop to have the image printed on metal and UV protected. Interesting is that the black lettering is slightly raised just like on the original plate. The cost was $95 for two. Once again, this is NOT legal to use on the road. It's for show only.
146320 License Plate.jpg
When the metal was sheared at both the metal and the print shop, the size was not exactly 5½” x 16”, however, it wasn't obviously different. Making a set of templates for the mounting holes would have reduce scratching of the plate. They are easily scratched so a clear spray on enamel was applied.

SurfCityGene
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Carrothers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Torpedo Roadster
MTFCA Number: 22905
MTFCI Number: 23068
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: License Plates

Post by SurfCityGene » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:32 pm

Wow very nice, I wouldn't be afraid to leave them on my car with the original plate in the tool box in case of the Very unlikely event a jerk cop wanted to give you a hard time for such new looking plates. YMMV
1912 Torpedo Roadster

Daniel828
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Brennan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1

Post by Daniel828 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:31 pm

Those plates look great.
So let me gets this straight. In California you can use the original 1915 plates as the cars current plates?
Does anybody know if I can do this in New Jersey? I asked this question at the dmv not too long ago and the clerk looked at me like I was crazy, so I dropped it. Lol

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:42 pm

Does anybody know if I can do this in New Jersey?
Probably. Most states have year of manufacture laws now. Check your state's DMV website.

IMG_3136.JPG
I register my T's with original plates.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Chris Haynes
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Haynes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Runabout
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by Chris Haynes » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:59 pm

In CA as long as the plate number is not in use you can register it. Sadly the number on the plates I bought are currently in use on a motorcycle. :-(

VowellArt
First Name: Martynn
Last Name: Vowell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Touring, th "Lady"
MTFCA Number: 9908
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by VowellArt » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:14 am

I did!

LicensePlate.jpg
Made by genuine incarcerated felon's of the State in 1922!
Fun never quits!

Topic author
Vrayfoster
First Name: Victor
Last Name: Foster
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring
MTFCA Number: 16395
Board Member Since: 2002

Post by Vrayfoster » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:27 pm

from a New Jersey web site: "Year of Manufacture (YOM) plates are permitted on the front only if, and only if the rear tag is the NJ Historic plate. You can apply for Historic (called QQ) vanity plates or just accept the random number versions. If you choose to use the Historic plates, NJ restricts the use to car events and shows and are exempt from the annual inspection rules. BTW: If you've been convicted of a DWI or reckless driving offense in NJ, then you're not entitled to the vanity versions, QQ or regular ones." I would check the DMV web site to verify this information.

The restriction on driving the car with other than regular plates is common in many states. In CA, there were too many restrictions using historic plates. Not so with year of manufacture plates. I drive my T almost daily. If I'm ever stopped I'm of course on a 1 person antique car tour or going to a car show. In 30 years, I've never been stopped by any police officer. When driving the car it's a parade. When parked it's a car show! What more needs to be said?

Jim Eubanks
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Eubanks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 touring, 1927 cpe
MTFCA Number: 49847
MTFCI Number: 8340

Post by Jim Eubanks » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:43 pm

We have a local shop that takes a pic of the plate, you paint the background color and they make and apply a decal from the photo they took. Beautiful work on all including letters and the border of TN plates for $35.oo

modeltspaz
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Spaziano
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring
MTFCA Number: 21699

Post by modeltspaz » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:04 pm

I hate to burst your bubble Martin, but California license plates weren't produced by "California Correctional Industries" until 1948.

Prior to 1948, license plates in California were produced primarily by independent steel stamping plants mostly in Los Angeles. The early porcelain plates were made in Pennsylvania by the Ing-Rich Company.
Knowledge that isn't shared, is wasted knowledge.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic