info wanted, length and quanity of engine block and hogs head bolts to crankcase

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
dobro1956
First Name: Donnie
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Sport Touring, 1919 Speedster, 1914 Speedster, Wards tractor conversion, non starter 1926 Improved Touring
MTFCA Number: 49575

info wanted, length and quanity of engine block and hogs head bolts to crankcase

Post by dobro1956 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:06 pm

Does anyone have a list or chart that shows what lengths of bolts are used between the engine block and hogs head to the crankcase. Also how many are needed. Im getting ready to install my crankcase to the speedster project engine. I know I can figure it out, but a list would make looking for the various bolts so much easier. Also does anyone know the years when the bolts using cotter keys vs lock washers were used. About half of my bolts have cotter key holes and half do not have cotter key holes. Thanks ......................

Tmooreheadf
First Name: Tom
Last Name: Moorehead
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring, 25 Coupe,
MTFCA Number: 22348
MTFCI Number: 18916

Re: info wanted, length and quanity of engine block and hogs head bolts to crankcase

Post by Tmooreheadf » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:33 pm

Do search in box above for bolt chart for model t and see if that gives you what you need. I use it all the time.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Re: info wanted, length and quanity of engine block and hogs head bolts to crankcase

Post by Allan » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:06 pm

Donnie, as far as I know, the only bolts without split pin holes are those which go into blind holes and do not use a nut, eg. the two lower bolts on the universal joint ball go into a thread in the pan, so no pin holes. The two top ones have nuts and pin holes. So, all pan bolts continued to have pin holes, even though they used a lock washer, other than those into the threaded holes in the starter hogshead and the ones either side of the crankshaft at the front.

I could be wrong again.
Allan from down under.

jab35
First Name: James
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by jab35 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:25 pm

Here's the parts, I could not readily find the bolt diagram with specifications for 26-27 but it does exist. Two cap screws and shims as needed to secure hogshead to back of block, best to you, jb
https://www.modeltford.com/item/3384.aspx

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:31 pm

http://www.mtfca.com/cgi-bin/discus/sho ... ost=230184
Other option is to get the parts list that includes 1927. There will be a qty for each bolt/nut/lock washer used.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:18 am

The parts suppliers use to sell bolt sets for engine, the transmission cover and etc for Model T’s.

Topic author
dobro1956
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Sport Touring, 1919 Speedster, 1914 Speedster, Wards tractor conversion, non starter 1926 Improved Touring

Post by dobro1956 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:35 am

I looked thru some of my original parts catalogs. No good answers, "yet", as to length or quantity.

I have plenty of original bolts that I will be using, The vendor bolt sets are "close" to being correct, they use modern style bolts and nuts. Since I have buckets full of originals, it just a matter of, glass bead, inspect, chase threads, and use them.

I have figured out what sizes work before, but I was hoping there might be a chart to make life simpler :).

Thanks for the input

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:58 am

Going to Chickasha a few years ago on the last day a guy was selling out at almost giveaway prices and I bought cans of Model T bolts and nuts to last me for quite awhile. Right place at the right time I guess! Years ago I learned to save those rusty and greasy T bolts. They have come in handy over the years.

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:20 am

As many people do, you failed to mention the year of your engine. If your engine uses the stiffner plates commonly used on later T's, they require a 1/8" longer bolt. Most of your question should be common sense! All you need to do is figure it out.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:14 pm

John, I bought a tub of model T nuts and bolts at a collector's clearing sale, just to get the Stromberg choke control that was in the tub. That tub goes with me to swap meets and all contents are 10 cents a piece. Numerous buyers ferret through it looking for their needs. I keep it topped up whenever I come across additional pieces, so it does come in handy.

Allan from down under.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:58 pm

Frankly I am not all that fussy, none of my cars or my customers are for show anyway and I have yet to have anyone chide me for wrong bolts/nuts. :lol: I use lock washers/modern nuts and what ever bolt is the correct length to do the job, modern or vintage, hole or no hole for cotter pin. At some point Ford started using lock washers anyway, don't know if the holes for cotter pins remained or if they too were dropped at some point. If I were doing a show car engine or early like a friends 12, that would be a different story. Now if you want to spend more time I suggest you do your own research and try to find a list of lengths besides what was posted above then you would be in the position to help someone else down the line. Try googleing "mtfca; bolt length" or something like that. While some people keep info like this saved, others like me just do a quick search on line.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Topic author
dobro1956

Post by dobro1956 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:13 pm

I have looked for lengths in old parts catalogs, and online using Google. Im pretty good at online searches. But so far no charts or lists pertaining to the pan bolts.

As mentioned above it is just a common sense type of thing. and I have done it before. I was just hoping for a list so I could pre clean some of the bolts needed without cleaning too many or the wrong length.
Some folks know that I am recovering from surgery, others probably do not know. So Im limited to what I can do in the next few weeks. Sorting and cleaning bolts is one of my therapy items to do :)

The speedster project has a 1919 engine and is titled as a 1919. Most people who have followed the build know that I am building it as period correct as possible with original parts and very few repro parts. It is a "patina" car.

Thanks for all the input, I have almost figured out all the sizes needed. Now I just need a few weeks till I can actually do something ..... :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic