Carburetors

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
dmdeaton
First Name: Danny
Last Name: Deaton

Carburetors

Post by dmdeaton » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:35 pm

Is there a good book or website showing Model T stock and aftermarket carbs? I see so many different types it makes my head spin.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Re: Carburetors

Post by John kuehn » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:43 pm

Go to the home page of the MTFCA website and go the encyclopedia. Click on carburetors and you’ll see a description and pictures of most Model T carburetors used from 09-27. No aftermarket I don’t think are shown.

StanHowe
First Name: Stan
Last Name: Howe
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 19133
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by StanHowe » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:53 pm

The only book I know of is the one I wrote for the Hutchinson, Kansas winter clinic about ten years ago. I printed 100 copies and gave them away at the clinic. I had a few left and have long since given those away. If you look at the header photo you can see the book. I have seen a couple of them on ebay over the years and I believe there would be some people who have a copy who would be glad to sell it to you. There were about a dozen guys snoring during my talk so I doubt they cared about the book.

Since then I have probably added a dozen or so more accessory carbs to my collection and sold a few from it. I have about half a dozen prototype or very low production ones that I bought out of a collection last spring. I should have spent the money on a new lathe but there were several there I had never seen or heard of. Some there is NO information anywhere that I can find.

So my answer is no, I don't think there is anything even reasonably new with color photos and correct information. Russ Potter has a fine collection but as far as I know there are no photos of them available, nor a listing.

This is a link to a small part of my collection, well less than half. I need to go back and add more photos and identify some of the carbs here. But it's better than nothing. http://www.strombergof.com/Other_Carburetors.php

This is the link to the website, there are several pages of things to look at. http://www.strombergof.com/

Some years ago there was some guy wanting to take photos of my collection, make a video or an Internet page or something and then he found out I wasn't going to donate them to him or anybody else and the idea went away in a heartbeat. Still wish he'd have done it. I don't have time.

Note that I am not soliciting rebuild work, I am still wading through the pile from this past year.

This is just giving you some things to look at.

StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:00 pm

Here is one of the displays I set up at the Sunflower Winter Clinic in Hutchinson. 22 Carburetors, almost all accessory carbs.

You can see the books.
2012 1 20 kansas 029.JPG

StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:03 pm

There were supposedly about 200 accessory carbs made specifically for the T Ford. I have (or have had) about 50 or 55 Russ has that many or more and there are a couple other guys that collect them also. I question 200 but I know there are over 100 because I either have or have seen that many.

Topic author
dmdeaton
First Name: Danny
Last Name: Deaton

Post by dmdeaton » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:06 pm

Thanks Stan, good start. I like the upright wood display boards. Sounds like you need to write a book. I am just cutting my teeth on the model T

Bruce Compton
First Name: Bruce
Last Name: Compton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Coupe, 1925 Coupe

Post by Bruce Compton » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:26 pm

Maybe someone with more experience than I could rate some of the aftermarket carbs in order of performance , reliability, and ease of adjustment. Personally, (thanks to Stan Howe's recommendation),I like the Stromberg OF and RF for a stock motor, but I haven't tried the OE 1 or 2, S4BF or U&J set-ups on a modified motor.

StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:34 pm

I have written several books, one about Model T carburetors. Another one -- also out of print -- the Adventures of Herman and Freida and Their Model T Fords. Copies of Herman and Freida show up on ebay every once in awhile. It is actually a collection of short stories about a couple homesteading in western North Dakota when the Milwaukee Railroad came west and started the last great homestead boom in America. For those who remember it, you can skip this part. There are Herman and Freida and their seven children. Einar, Torvald, Emmaline, MayVelle and the triplets, Henry Herman, Ford Helferstout and Clara Freida. Their last name is Yustermierson. Take that second boy a new Big Chief tablet and and new number two pencil just to learn to write his name in 1st grade.

I printed about 2,000 of those on my laser printers in my print setup I put together for doing auction brochures. Girl next door inserted the pictures into the signature and we comb bound them. I paid her a buck apiece for doing the pictures, at first she made about 3 dollars an hour, after a couple hundred she was making 12-15 and hour. Pretty good for a 12 year old.

I hadn't checked for a long time but just checked ebay and there were no Herman and Freida books for sale right now. Put it in your search and one should show up. I'm also sure there are some people on here that would be glad to get the twenty back they spent on it 15 years ago.

Most popular line in Herman and Freida: (about crossing the creek at the bottom of Norwegian coulee) Both ears down, he hit it like a fat girl headed for the hot fresh donuts on the free midnight smorgasboard at the annual Norwegian Sheepherder's Ball.

Next: I swear Freida, if any one of those three ever had a good word to say about any body or anything, I'd kiss their bare asses in the middle of main street of Aberdeen at noon on Saturday and give them thirty minutes to draw a crowd!

Honorable mention. Freida, none of them know a thing about raising kids. Not one of them ever had their hand held let alone have the old man pat them on the backside in the middle of the night and see if they might be thinking about adding to the family.

I have a file of letters probably three inches thick of people telling me their Model T stories after they read Herman and Freida. It was a lot of fun. Not everyone loved it. They wouldn't put it in the gift shop at the museum because Bruce didn't like it.

I don't have time to finish the sequel I started a couple years after it was published.

Singing Cowboys, the stories and songs of the old time west, still in print.

A couple others that had nothing to do with Model T's.

I've also printed several hundred copies of the Stromberg OF instruction manual and some others.

I think writing books is a dying profession. I think most people are just on the Internet, write it, it goes away, write more, it goes away. I dunno.

StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:46 pm

Bruce that's a can of worms that's hard to open and close. So many of the good carbs were not originally made for T's. The OE-1 was mostly a Studebaker carb and has to have an updraft manifold.

The Zenith U series in various sizes is hot, hot, hot but are all too big unless it is an all-out speedster engine, etc. There are a ton of variables. The other thing is how available they are. Some are just made out of unobtainium and so many of them have pot metal or aluminum parts that have deteriorated over the years to where new ones have to be cast and machined.

My personal favorites are the Zenith S4BF, the U & J and the Rayfield UF for hotter than stock engines. After that.............. Zenith HP4A, Master, Stromberg MB-1s and a few others.

ALL carburetion is a compromise.

Bruce Compton
First Name: Bruce
Last Name: Compton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Coupe, 1925 Coupe

Post by Bruce Compton » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:36 pm

Thanks Stan.That's a really good start. Hopefully some other experienced guys will chime in. Bruce

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:04 am

I still have my copy of Herman & Frieda, and it's not going anywhere. :D

IMG_6812 copy.JPG
Gary Paulsen checks out the book while Stan explains a carburetor. January 21, 2012.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:43 pm

And don't forget to look at this long Forum thread on accessory carbs started by Stan 10 years ago, lots of neat carbs and instruction manuals too. ;)

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50 ... 1227126594
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564

Post by Mark Gregush » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:25 pm

Dan thanks for post the link to the old forum. I lost it when I changed computers and was going to post it.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic