Source for stainless T muffler

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Mike Lebsack-Iowa
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Lebsack
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 11Torpedo, 11 Roadster, 13 Touring, 14 Roadster, 14 Touring
Board Member Since: 2008

Source for stainless T muffler

Post by Mike Lebsack-Iowa » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:43 pm

Does anyone know who produces, or used to produce, an aftermarket Model T muffler that was stainless steel, had integral mounting brackets that matched the T frame bolt holes, and had its own downturned tail pipe? I know I bought it from one of the prominent T part vendors but can’t locate it in any of the current catalogs. Does anyone know where I can get another one, they are great for a driver. Thanks, Mike

Dropacent
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Re: Source for stainless T muffler

Post by Dropacent » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:53 pm

Yes, and also an accurate SS exhaust pipe. The last stainless steel setup I bought was about 10 years ago. The pipe didn’t even come close to fitting, and the muffler, even though nicely stamped had the most horrible looking stick welds holding it together i’d ever seen. I will not state where I bought it, hoping things have improved. I do need a pipe, and hope someone answers mikes question.

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Post by Kerry » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:03 pm

Only place I've seen one is list as discontinued on Mac's web site.

Topic author
Mike Lebsack-Iowa
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Lebsack
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 11Torpedo, 11 Roadster, 13 Touring, 14 Roadster, 14 Touring
Board Member Since: 2008

Post by Mike Lebsack-Iowa » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:09 pm

Answer found. Birdhaven/Texas T does produce the muffler I described. The one I bought a few years ago was TIG welded at all seams and brackets. It bolted up perfectly in my situation. A current order is expected to arrive at Birdhaven soon so I have one ordered. Knowing Bill Divine I assume it will be as nice as the last one I bought. In my opinion this is a great, although not meant to be a period correct replacement, muffler that should last a lifetime. Mike

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:32 pm

Vern Campbell was the man producing those mufflers. He has passed away. Nice to hear Bill has some in stock.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic