on E-Bay

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Jugster
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Coiro
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring
Board Member Since: 2009

on E-Bay

Post by Jugster » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:56 am

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Re: on E-Bay

Post by Rich Eagle » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:34 am

I always enjoy looking at these. The bodywork looks pretty good in the pictures but the kickpanel under the front seat shows what the condition of the metal may have been. The demountable rims would make it easier to tour with. Some top adjustments may be needed too.
Nice.
Rich
When did I do that?

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:47 pm

Except for the top it looks good, but I'm always suspicious when there are no pictures under the hood.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:00 pm

There have been several "restored" '14 to '16 T touring cars on eBad lately. None of them has been particularly good. This one has some right stuff on it. It also has some really wrong things on it (the entire windshield is a late '17 to '22). The upholstery is decent, but not done correctly, nor installed properly. One could do much worse, but for the "buy it now" price, I would want something a bit better.
One of the other ones about two weeks ago, had one of the worst model T upholstery jobs I have ever seen! On it, the seats looked like the Lazy-Boy in my living room, only Naugahyde, and too many badly placed buttons all around it. The thing must have had fifty pounds of foam padding under that horrible looking upholstery. The price on it was much too high given its many wrong parts and assembly flaws. Been gone for awhile, I wonder if it sold?

Philip Lawrence
First Name: Philip
Last Name: Lawrence
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring
MTFCA Number: 5591
MTFCI Number: 25062
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Philip Lawrence » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:22 am

Wayne, that badly upholstered 1915 touring is still on ebay. At least the upholstery is consistent with the top. It's not to far from you, you could see it in person.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:55 am

Sorry Phil, that is not the one I was talking about. I had seen this one also, the upholstery, although not nearly correct, is tolerable. It does also have a lot of incorrectly placed buttons. This one has a really funky looking top, looks like the top sockets were extended at least four inches. And that rear curtain. Well, it does improve visibility to the rear?

I don't know. I really do not like bashing cars that are for sale. Although, so very many of them really do deserve bashing.

I suppose I should post a link for others that may wish to see what we are talking about.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1915-Ford-Mode ... SwKhpdyfoi

I don't know. Sales talk is sales talk. And caveat emptor and all that. But I really get sick of seeing the glowing exaggerated claims of cars being "the best you will ever see!" The Metz with the claim "This car is awesome!" The restoration is not high quality, the colors are wrong the back of the body is not right, the year given is wrong, the model given is wrong,- - - - - - -, it goes on and on. It may be a decent horseless carriage at actually a decent price? But come on now, at least one should act like one knows a little about it!

The '15 T touring linked above claims a $35,000 restoration. It doesn't matter how much some fool was willing to pay for a bad really incorrect restoration! And he can ask anything he wants, millions even. But he doesn't have the right to EXPECT another person to pay him a ridiculous amount for it.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:58 am

If the car in Wayne's link didn't have some "before" pictures I'd suspect it of being one of those put-together 1915's from the sixties or seventies. There's a lot about it that's right, but there are enough anomalies to indicate insufficient attention to using correct parts. I'm not referring to the added starter and battery carrier, but items like wrong springs, perches, pedals, lenses, etc. I'm not a fan of the modern fad of "natural" wheels, but the look of these is especially egregious. And what's up with those hub bolts and nuts? I can believe that somebody spent 35 grand on it, but the dollars weren't all well spent.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

2nighthawks
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 0

Post by 2nighthawks » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:21 pm

No question that any "dyed-in-the-wool" Model T guy could go on, and on, and on, picking this car apart. However, minus the Model T "perfectionist/authorities", 999 people out of a thousand would say that this is one absolutely beautiful Model T Ford! The problem as I see it is that it's very much in a class (if you will) all of its' own. It's just too nice to be a "driver", and it's too full of restoration "inaccuracies" to be a show car! It's obviously been "rebuilt" (NOT restored) with typical California "show-car quality & expertise", but without regard for Model T Ford historical accuracy! I personally would not pay the asking price for it, but somebody with lots of $$$ will, and if they're that "rich", but really do want (and can afford) a CORRECTLY RESTORED Model T Ford, that one would sure be a fun one to make historically correct! FWIW,....harold

2nighthawks
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 0

Post by 2nighthawks » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:23 pm

.....oh, and I meant to say (but forgot) that that's about the most beautifully done set of pictures and videos I've ever seen of a car for sale!

Topic author
Jugster
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Coiro
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring
Board Member Since: 2009

Post by Jugster » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:18 am

Somehow, I got placed on a mailing list that features several Model T auctions every week. Most are steel cars and hot-rods. Very few of these are 1916 and older, which makes me suspect that the owners of brass cars just aren't as willing to part with them as once was the case. That's why, when I get notified about what looks like a nice brass Flivver, I post it here.

High quality restorations of 1915 and 16's are kind of rare and I think that may be a reflection of their dollar value on the market. They seem to be mostly daily-drivers which were either cobbled together from parts or modified to look like 15's or have been "resto-modded" with electric starters, demountable wheels and such. Of the brass cars on E-bay, these are the most plentiful. They're unfussy and fun and they're THE cheapest admission ticket into the world of brass horseless carriages.

In terms of availability for sale, the 14's are somewhat rarer and I suppose that's partly because it is not really as possible to fake a 14 than would be the case of a 15 without making a nonsensical monetary investment. Many of these will have been modified, though, and also "feature" amenities like starters and demountables.

The 13's seem to be a sort of transitional vintage between the affordable 14's, 15's and 16's and the much more expensive earlier vintage brass cars. They're much rarer in number and because of that, most folks would rather not modify them into traffic-jamming daily-drivers. You don't see many on E-bay.

And of course, Fords between 1909 and 1912 are in the ultra-rare category and nobody is going to want to modify them at all because that would wreck their very high investment value. These are the cars which are the most lavishly restored and authentic. Nobody is going to drill holes and bolt an incorrect ahoogah horn on one of these. If E-bay auctions of brass Model T Fords are becoming more infrequent, these are the least frequent of all.

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:57 am

Well, the Tbay link says it's sold...but of course not for how much! Coulda been sold for $15K for all we know.

John Codman
First Name: John
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:18 am

Steve, there were three underhood photos in the original post.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic