What are the symptoms of an intake leak?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
RGould1910
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Gould
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 touring, 1912 roadster , 1927 roadster

What are the symptoms of an intake leak?

Post by RGould1910 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:47 pm

Trying to figure out why my newly restored engine doesn't idle well while driving and to keep it from starving, I have to keep it reved higher than I should. I am thinking it may be an intake leak. Also the motor does not accelerate good even in the garage. It coughs and stumbles trying to rev the motor. I'd like to hear what others say before I remove and replace the manifold gaskets and rings

George Mills
First Name: George
Last Name: Mills
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Roadster, 1919 Hack, 1925 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 29497
MTFCI Number: 10032
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: What are the symptoms of an intake leak?

Post by George Mills » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:16 pm

Richard,

The easiest way to find an intake leak is to...

Start the car and set to low idle...

Take some kind of petro spray can with the red delivery straw ( carb cleaner, etc) and spray with the tip near the ring...

Speeds up, you have an intake leak.

I also recommend to not use copper crush rings twice should you decide to pull the manifold. False economy to me...I buy them by the bagfull and even if I suspect a lopsided pinch...I start again from scratch! Just my way and for the record I find I never need to go back a third time. I also used a dab of grease to hold everything together since I wasn’t born with 4 arms.

If you don’t find an intake leak, open up the mixing screw 1/4 turn...you just might be pleasently surprised 😲

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:57 pm

A few things: I don't know exactly what was done to "newly restore" the engine. If you put in new pistons, rings, and tightened the bearings, your engine will be tight for a few hundred miles and needs to be broken in by driving slowly and being careful not to overheat and will loosen up as you drive it and gain more speed and power.
If you replaced the head and manifold gaskets, you will need to re-torque them after the engine has been warmed up. Do this after the engine cools off if you have an iron head, and do it while hot if you use an aluminum head. You should tighten the head to 50 ft lbs. Do this several times after each time you drive the car until it remains at 50 ft lbs. The manifold should be around 30 ft lbs.
Also did you do anything to the carburetor when you worked on the engine? If not, maybe it needs cleaning and re-adjusting. If it sat a long time with old gas in it it can get gummed up and would cause engine misfiring. What, if anything did you do with the ignition system? Was it running smoothly before you worked on it and what if any changes did you make? Sometimes Wiring can be grounded around the timer which will cause a continual spark or no spark at all on one or more cylinders.
So you see it can be any of a number of things causing the problem. If it runs smoothly, but just very slowly and not idling well, I would suspect maybe the timing could be off. So you do need to check the timing.
Anyway, check out the easiest things first, one at a time until you find out for sure what is causing the problem.
Norm

Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Post by Dan Hatch » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:50 pm

If you installed new al pistons and did NOT hone the piston pins, there is your problem.

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:17 pm

George describes a good way to check for an intake leak. You can also use a propane torch, unlit and move it around the gaskets.
Some engine paint is attacked by some carb cleaners....
It would have to be a pretty large leak to effect off idle much.

I also agree with Norm in checking timing, and other minor things before you start taking anything apart.

And yes, we need more info on what was done to rebuild the engine.

Topic author
RGould1910
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Gould
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 touring, 1912 roadster , 1927 roadster

Post by RGould1910 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:50 pm

Here's what was done engine wise. Reground crank, newly rebabbited rods fitted with Timesaver, new Stipe cam and fitted bearings, new valves, valve job with Neway cutters, lash set at 10 thou, new rings, pistons and wrist pins, new timing gears. Crank and flywheel dynamically balanced, rods balanced at both ends, pistons balanced too. Re ignition, I've installed Patterson coils a new Roller timer, and new X plugs. I'm getting good spark at the plugs. Thinking the problem was with the carb, I switched out the carb with others that ran fine on other cars. Same result. It almost acts as though the float is too high because it seems to load up at low rpm. Did a compression test and numbers were 45 lbs on 2, 3 and 4 and 40 on 1. Is it possible I simply need to run the car some? Never had this issue before but one time I had rough running engine after a rebuild and it turned out to be sticking valves. After I opened up the guides, the problem went away.
Wondering if I goofed up and didn't align the timing gear marks correctly but the car runs strong at driving speed. Got me stumped.

Jim, Sr.
First Name: Jim, Sr.
Last Name: Rodell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 coupe, 1926 touring
MTFCA Number: 2406
MTFCI Number: 22213

Post by Jim, Sr. » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:34 pm

I wonder if .010 is too tight on the exhaust valves? Doesn't Stipe recommend .010 on intake, and .012 on exhaust?
1922 Coupe , 1926 Touring

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:22 pm

Are the manifolds stock? I received a high volumn intake manifold as a door prize on one of the tours and installed it on an otherwise stock engine. The symptoms I had were that it ran very good at high speeds on relatively level roads, but was very sluggish at low speeds after shifting and going up hills. I tried changing the float level but it didn't help. I am using a holly NH carburetor. When going up hills it actually ran better when I backed off the gas. Finally I installed a stock intake manifold and it runs great. Anyway, what I have found is that some parts work well on modified engines but I think the problem I had was that when I opened the throttle, there was just not enough vacuum to suck in the gas so it was running lean. You can get the idea if you pucker your lips and blow. You will get a strong blast of air which you can feel with your hand about a foot from your mount. But if you open your mouth, and blow you don't feel it. Anyway, it could be just something you modified which caused the problem.
Norm

John Warren
First Name: John
Last Name: Warren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Roadster, 25 Pickup , 26 Canadian Touring , and a 24-28 TA race car

Post by John Warren » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:05 am

It could be a valve seal problem, at higher speed the problem would disappear. I would check out the intake manifold, carb gasket first. One of the old timers here would take a hammer and tap on the intake manifold near the clamp and re-tighten it. With it coughing at an idle means it is lean, but if the manifold is leaking it can be both lean and rich. Have you looked at your pugs?
24-28 TA race car, 26 Canadian touring, 25 Roadster pickup, 14 Roadster, and 11AB Maxwell runabout
Keep it simple and keep a good junk pile if you want to invent something :P

Marshall V. Daut
First Name: Marshall
Last Name: Daut
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe

Post by Marshall V. Daut » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:12 pm

Yu asked about symptoms of a leaking intake manifold. So far I haven't seen what happened to my Model A 45 years ago. I kept hearing a whistle and couldn't figure out what was causing it. At a local Model A club meeting, SOP was for attendees to ask questions after the main meeting, posing their Model A problem du jours to the "old timers". I had no sooner finished asking my question when from around the room, two or three "old timers" answered in unison: "Leaking intake manifold". Wow! With that much instant unanimity, a leaking intake manifold MUST be the problem. The next day I changed the manifold gaskets and the whistling went away. Lesson learned.
You didn't mention that your engine was whistling. But if it is, check the manifold gaskets.
Marshall

Altair
First Name: David
Last Name: Menzies
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring and 1915 Touring both Canadian models
MTFCA Number: 27825
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by Altair » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:58 pm

There are several methods for checking for a vacuum leak, I am a proponent of just water spray, the engine will stumble immediately. Was the head planed? As mentioned previously, adjust the mixture, an 1/8 - 1/4 turn can make a big difference. Mine starts with one turn and runs on 7/8 turn. It will not start with 7/8 turn.

fliverfan
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Chuplis

Post by fliverfan » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:24 pm

The compression test results sound more like an engine requiring a valve job, than one that was recently finished. Lash and/or guides too tight need to be confirmed or denied.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic