Interesting clutch on ebay

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Chris Instness
First Name: Christopher
Last Name: Instness
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 runabout, 1923 speedster
MTFCA Number: 52552

Interesting clutch on ebay

Post by Chris Instness » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:28 pm

I have no connection to the ad but have never seen this accessory clutch. Anyone seen them or ran one?
1575739118403387804738.jpg
1575739118403387804738.jpg (23.68 KiB) Viewed 4828 times
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-T-Ford-A ... 5678!US!-1
1575778904501387804738.jpg
1575778904501387804738.jpg (18.11 KiB) Viewed 4828 times

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Re: Interesting clutch on ebay

Post by Kerry » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:14 am

Haven't seen one but looks to be a dumb idea to me, why would you want to coast? the engine is half or more of your braking on a T.

Jem
First Name: Jem
Last Name: Bowkett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 Touring #9267
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Jem » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:24 am

Quite a few British cars in the 30s had freewheels, the idea being you could save fuel. BUT, you had a lever to disengage it when you needed engine braking. This T accessory on its nice tin is a lovely display item but I wouldn't want it in my car.

D Stroud
First Name: David
Last Name: Stroud
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by D Stroud » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:20 am

I'm going way out on a limb here, but I think I recall adds for "Free Wheeling" on cars from back in the '40's/'50's maybe. I assume it could be disengaged when needed, I don't think the idea went over very well. I also remember the over the road truckers talking about "Georgia Overdrive"(kicking the transmission into neutral on hills) back then too. I don't know how popular that actually was. :roll: Dave
1925 mostly original coupe.

Russ T Fender
First Name: Val
Last Name: Soupios
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '10 touring, '12 touring, '13 hack, '14 runabout, '14 touring, '14 speedster, '22 centerdoor, '27 touring

Post by Russ T Fender » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:03 am

Plymouth had free wheeling on the PA and PB models.

John Warren
First Name: John
Last Name: Warren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Roadster, 25 Pickup , 26 Canadian Touring , and a 24-28 TA race car

Post by John Warren » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:14 am

I was riding in a 60's car when I was 7 or 8 , not sure what it was , and the driver was showing me how it always coasted when you weren't under power. So coming up to stop sign there was no engine assisted stop. It was an automatic transmission of some sort, and I also remembered that she had to let off the accelerator to make it shift up.
24-28 TA race car, 26 Canadian touring, 25 Roadster pickup, 14 Roadster, and 11AB Maxwell runabout
Keep it simple and keep a good junk pile if you want to invent something :P

Mark Osterman
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Osterman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 runabout

Post by Mark Osterman » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:28 am

I once drove a 1933 Plymouth PC as regular transportation. It had a straight 6 with hydraulic brakes and a free wheeling transmission. There was a knob on the dash you pulled to get it into free wheeling and pushed for normal.

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:33 am

A lot of American cars had free wheeling in 1932 and 33.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:39 pm

Today's answer is "no-wheeling" with a stop-start system. It automatically shuts off the engine when the vehicle is at rest to cut fuel use and eliminate idle emissions. It then restarts the engine automatically when the driver lifts off the brake (or puts in the clutch to select 1st gear) to get going again. The basic logic is hard to argue with. Why burn gasoline if you're just sitting there? Only the most fuel-efficient cars have this option, usually hybrids, but in the last couple years they've begun appearing in the U.S. on vehicles with conventional gasoline engines. Ford F-150 comes with stop-start with the EcoBoost gasoline engine. NOTE: turning the engine on-off when stopped is not the same. Test have shown that these systems actually save fuel & emissions in "most" driving conditions.
Excerpts from https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/fea ... -fuel.html
There is were lot more modifications to make to to this technology viable.
.the starter motor has to be more robust so it stays reliable despite being used far more often
.the battery must have deep cycle capability that can endure more frequent draws from the starter.
.the engine's crankshaft & rod bearings need to have special low-friction coatings to handle the extra loads placed on them during restarts.
.the stereo, fan, lighting or wipers shouldn't shut down each time the engine shuts off
.electric pumps are necessary to keep engine coolant circulating and to maintain hydraulic pressure in the transmission.
.air-conditioning system may have additional humidity and temperature sensors to monitor the core temperature of the system during the shutdown period. if the passengers might get too warm, the computer can abandon the shutdown cycle.
.quick restarts in the order of .5 seconds
.needs to work with the latest driver assist technology
So how does it work
It is the cars software that decides when to stop and when to start again. Nominally, the engine stops when speed reaches zero. But the computer first needs to see steady brake pressure and little or no steering: evidence of a routine stop. The command to start again is given as the brakes are released (or the clutch is depressed) in order to get the engine back on line before the driver has time to transfer his foot to the gas pedal.

All this to be replaced in 10 years with "no-driver" technology :lol:
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

StanHowe
First Name: Stan
Last Name: Howe
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 19133
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by StanHowe » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:31 pm

Overdrive, which was a very popular option in late 30s to late 50s cars usually "free wheeled" in overdrive at speeds under 25 or so. There was a lever on the dash to put it in underdrive and lock it in at lower speeds.
Hot Rod Lincoln:
Took my foot off the gas and man alive, I shoved it down into overdrive.
Even the hot rodders had it in their rods in those days.
My Rambler I sold a few years ago had overdrive.

Kaiser
First Name: Leo
Last Name: van Stirum
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Kaiser » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:28 am

Friend of mine had a "coaster-gear" on his 50s Chebby Apache pickup, when we went downhill with a trailer and the trailer started pushing we only had the brakes to keep everything under control, no subtle engine-braking, boy we went faster than we wanted in no time at all :o
My buddy had the time of his life keeping the rig from jack kniving :lol:
Dangerous things those " coaster gears", extra so on a T !!
But a great conversation piece, all kinds of hairy stories can be told by people who got to know the effect of them...
When in trouble, do not fear, blame the second engineer ! 8-)
Leo van Stirum, Netherlands
'23 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic