Disc brakes

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
dmdeaton
First Name: Danny
Last Name: Deaton

Disc brakes

Post by dmdeaton » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:19 am

One fellow in our gang is running the disc brake package on 2 of his T’s. He loves them. He is not running safety hubs.
I am thinking of changing my direction gathering parts for my speedster. Original plans were large drums with Rocky Mountain brakes. I am thinking now of safety hubs with disc brakes. Is anyone running these 2 together and what modifications are required to run both?

Nunsio1
First Name: John
Last Name: Monticciolo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 C Cab truck
MTFCA Number: 21108

Re: Disc brakes

Post by Nunsio1 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:49 am

I am running disc brakes w/safety hubs, the install of hubs easy. The install of brakes straight forward,except the drums were warped badly because of heat during welding. Had to have drums turned quite a bit, and shaping the new brake lining and trying to find some one that still have the equipment maybe tough. The overall setup is clean and works very well.

John
Oscoda, Michigan
24 “C” can truck

Sarikatime
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Seress
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Towncar, 1915 Touring
MTFCA Number: 27707

Post by Sarikatime » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:31 am

I have disc brakes on my nondemountable T wheels,but if I have a flat or want to take off the wheel for whatever reason, I have to totally dismantle the discs. If you have a demoutable wheel setup it is easy because you don’t remove the whole wheel. To bleed the system you will sweat blood especially since the bleeder valves need such a small wrench and I think it is metric that even a professional shop that bled my system was cursing at me or the manufacturer. And if you have any endplay in the rear axle, it will not work. Every time you go around a corner the cylinders empty and nothing works. When they work, they are great, but when they are not right, they are a pain in the ———— . Just my two cents. Frank

Topic author
dmdeaton

Post by dmdeaton » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:42 am

I am running wire wheels so changing rims shouldn’t be an issue.

What had to be welded to the drums?

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:52 am

Big drum disk brakes;
https://www.modeltford.com/item/2565C.aspx

If I am reading this correct, the disk is welded to a new drum for the large drum brakes, the small drum style are a one piece drum/disk.
Small drum
https://www.modeltford.com/item/2565.aspx
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Topic author
dmdeaton

Post by dmdeaton » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:11 pm

I will read the links later
I guess I don’t understand why the rotors don’t float on the wheel studs with the brake drum
I haven’t worked on a stock T yet, much less modifying one

Mark Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed

Post by Mark Gregush » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:04 pm

The links are items from Lang's online catalog. Isn't that much to read. ;)

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Mark Gregush

Post by Mark Gregush » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:22 am

"I guess I don’t understand why the rotors don’t float on the wheel studs with the brake drum"
Because the brake drums don't float on the hub they are mounted to it with the lug bolts which are swedged in place on wire wheel hubs and bolts and nuts on the wood wheel. Model A up to maybe 38ish Fords were the same way.

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

DIYer
First Name: Glenn
Last Name: Larkin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Ford Model T Coupe
MTFCA Number: 51286

Post by DIYer » Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:46 am

Sarikatime wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:31 am
I have disc brakes on my nondemountable T wheels,but if I have a flat or want to take off the wheel for whatever reason, I have to totally dismantle the discs. If you have a demoutable wheel setup it is easy because you don’t remove the whole wheel. To bleed the system you will sweat blood especially since the bleeder valves need such a small wrench and I think it is metric that even a professional shop that bled my system was cursing at me or the manufacturer. And if you have any endplay in the rear axle, it will not work. Every time you go around a corner the cylinders empty and nothing works. When they work, they are great, but when they are not right, they are a pain in the ———— . Just my two cents. Frank
Sarikatime, I was considering ordering a set of disc brakes to install on my T, but after reading about your problems requiring the brake lines to be bled when changing tires, then also having difficulties when going around corners I now wonder which brand of disc brakes you have on your T (Rocky Mountain Disc Brakes, Sure Stop Disc Brakes, or something else).

Does anyone know whether Frank's problems are typical for all brands of disc brakes or do his problems appear to be more of an outlier? I would hate to have to change a flat while driving and then bleed my brakes before driving away.

Divcoone
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Giles
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster
MTFCA Number: 25039
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by Divcoone » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:29 pm

If your drums don’t run true, you will end up with a two pump brake. I started with new axles so my disc brakes work perfectly. Also I have wire wheels.

rickg
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Goelz
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Fordor, 1926 Coupe, 1923 popcorn Truck
MTFCA Number: 24965

Post by rickg » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:51 pm

I have disc brakes on all three of my Ts, they all have demountable rims, but if you don't have them or even if you do use the flexible lines this allows the caliper to be removed and moved out of the way without disconnecting everything. Bleeding is a chance to use all those words you have been saving, i use a hand bleeder pump and it works well.

Rick

kelly mt
First Name: Pat
Last Name: Kelly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 23 Speedster, 25 TT, 26 Roadster, 27 Tudor

Post by kelly mt » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:58 pm

I'm running wires, safety hubs and disk brakes on my '26 Roadster. Every thing works and fits good. I am running RM brakes on my Speedster and they stop that light car good.

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:32 pm

I have safety hubs and "sure stop" disc brakes on my 1917 Touring. The combination goes together very well and is recommended by a friend who is a highly reputable classic car restorer to all his Model T customers. He did my install and also installed new axles (which are 1/16th of an inch longer) as both originals had significant scoring. I am very happy with my choice. The fellow who did the installation for me did complain about the difficulty bleeding the brakes. I have demountable rims so should not have to disturb the brakes for tire changes and the like.

I did have a thought - small aircraft use brakes that are not that different from the setup used on my Model T. An old-time aircraft mechanic showed me that the easiest way to fill the brakes with fluid and simultaneously bleed them was to fill from the bottom. He had me open the bleeder and attach a plastic tube attached to a trigger type oil can and pump it full. The fluid rising up the lines purged all air bubbles so there was nothing to bleed. I've never tried it on my T but would be interested to see if it works.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic