A puzzling problem

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

A puzzling problem

Post by Allan » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:33 pm

One of the tasks undertaken to return Henrietta to service was the fitting of new rear axle seals and lined brake shoes. There was so much grease and gritty stuff clogging up the works that one side was almost filled.

There was evidence that the right hand side shoes and springs had been scraping, either on the drum or the accumulated crud. I refitted the right hand wheel with an axle shim to overcome this.The new linings gave me the best handbrake I have ever had on a T.

Once on the raod, I could hear a persistent scraping noise from the right hand rear wheel, so Ieft it for a while to register a mark, before pulling the wheel again. The only sign of anything scraping was at the very end of the linings on the shoes. I dressed them down and refitted the wheel. I could still hear the noise.

The camber on our roads takes the vehicle to the left, so the weight of the car takes it away from the right backing plate, thus reducing any tendency to scrape. Short of pulling the wheel again and blueing the components to find a register mark, have any of you a possible answer?

Puzzled Allan from down under

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Re: A puzzling problem

Post by Henry K. Lee » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:44 pm

Allan had similar issue years back. It was a very slightly warped brake drum striking the backing plate. Drove me nuts. Swapped the wheel assemblies around from left to right, problem fixed.

Hope this Helps,

Hank from down yonder

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:33 pm

Allan, you can try a light coat of white paint on the inside of the drum. Should be easier to see where it’s rubbed off after a short trip.
Maybe you can hear it by jacking up both wheels and have a helper turn the other side by hand ?
Good luck !

Fire_chief
First Name: Charlie
Last Name: Gagel
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 12 Tourings(2),14 Tourings(2),15 Touring,22Touring,22 TT,21 Fire Truck,14 Chief Car
MTFCA Number: 8377
MTFCI Number: 22437

Post by Fire_chief » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:52 am

Make sure the axle shim is not touching the rear bearing.
This happened to a good friend of mine. The result was a bearing that lost all the lube, and seized to the axle.

Topic author
Allan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:57 pm

Well, the answer is embarrassingly simple. Yesterday I drove my chocolate van doing a Christmas promotional out -and -about appearance for the company. I had exactly the same metallic grinding noise from the right hand side as I was hearing in Henrietta!!!!! It went away when I put my new right hearing aid into my bib overalls pocket.

The hearing centre was on my route, so I called in. They re-adjusted the right aid, but while quieter, I will continue to drive a T with that aid in my pocket. I wonder if driving in my Tudor will be the same.

Allan from down under.

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479

Post by Henry K. Lee » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:38 pm

Allan playing with pixies this time of year, will set you up on a naughty list!

Hank

Topic author
Allan

Post by Allan » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:18 pm

Hank, what makes you think I am not already on the naughty list? You get used to it after a while.

Allan

KeithG
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Gumbinger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '14 Touring, '26 RPU, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
MTFCA Number: 4661
MTFCI Number: 6866
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by KeithG » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:52 pm

Allan, Thank goodness for those bibs with pockets... :) For the rest of you, that's an inside story.

Keith
'14 Touring, '26 Roadster Pickup, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
Motto: It's hard to build a garage that's tooooo big! :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic