Speedster seat,how are they upolstered

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Speedster seat,how are they upolstered

Post by tdump » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:51 pm

I mocked up the parts for my 26 today.I have yet to see how these seats are covered.I need to know that so when it comes time to assemble everything I wont ruin cushions or anything. After what I paid to get the seat done for the pickup,I am a bit "skeered" of what this 1 will cost. I better start picking up cans! :shock: :lol:
Attachments
DSC00156.JPG
DSC00157.JPG
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Re: Speedster seat,how are they upolstered

Post by Henry K. Lee » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:12 am

Mack,

Good upholstery is like good painting, you get what you pay for. Your seat design on those are really just an over set meaning other than a lower cushion, they were meant to be snapped on around the back edge. Simple in design. A fair price on those is around $600.00 with foam, etc.

All the Best,

Hank

spadpilot
First Name: David
Last Name: Carnahan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 49550

Post by spadpilot » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:46 pm

Hello Mack,

I can attest to Hank's remarks re: upholstery. I have attached a few photos of the seats he did for my speedster earlier this year. My seat was a bit different than yours as it is built out of wood and the back is sheathed in steel. The finish material will be installed within the next couple of months.

Good luck with your project.....looks like it has good "bones".

Best
Dave
Attachments
IMG_6798.jpg
IMG_6705.jpg
IMG_6690.jpg
...some people are like Slinkies....they're generally useless but fun to watch when you push them down the stairs.

Russ T Fender
First Name: Val
Last Name: Soupios
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '10 touring, '12 touring, '13 hack, '14 runabout, '14 touring, '14 speedster, '22 centerdoor, '27 touring

Post by Russ T Fender » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:32 pm

My seats are similar to yours. I bought that stuff they use in place of wood for tack strips and heated it to shape it into the contour of the top of the seat. I screwed it on from the inside so it was flush with the top edge of the sheet metal seat back. The upholstery is rolled over the tack strip and tacked from the underside with hidem welting over it. I supplied the material and had a local woman who upholsters chairs make the cushions and stitch up the seat backs which I then tacked in place. Total cost with materials and her labor $327.
C22B5DA5-01E6-41B1-9251-EA971C7F2FE4.jpeg
A9FC06D0-ACAC-4F8A-A732-F8FF518F521C.jpeg

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Humblej » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:58 pm

Mack, that wide bench seat may need some structural bracing added before you upholster it to limit the flexing.

Topic author
tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Post by tdump » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:25 pm

Yes,I am thinking that as well,I am hoping somoene has a seat like it.Not sure what it came from.I. I know it had some "hardware" on it but nothing structural. i shoulda learned more about this stuff before I bought this back in 08 at Chickasha but I thought if push came to shove I could get my 100 back out of it and go another route.

I kinda like the idea of a single wide seat as I am horizonaly challenged. If I could find a bench seat design on a speedster,it would be more comfortable yet but can't seem to come up with anything that doesn't ressemble a school bus seat. A friend found the old handrail or whatever that is in his mothers barn and gave it to me since I mess with old cars.I thought I might add it to the back of this seat to give myself or a passenger something to hold to with the arm behind the seat.
Where does the stuff come from that the material is tacked to?
Attachments
DSC00162.JPG
DSC00160.JPG
DSC00163.JPG
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:59 pm

Mack your love seat design of course would require extra support and the likes of. They are more comfortable in a speedster in my opinion since in todays times people are of a larger frame so to say. Here are you some ideas. I do like making or installing adjustable seat tracks as your never know when it comes time to sell. Not fitting the next person can be a real deal breaker. Just things to consider.

DSC01151.jpeg
DSC01150.jpeg
DSC00896.jpeg

Hope this Helps,

Hank

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic